Spyder Garage

Default RT 622 trailer pack wheel bearings, who should service?

Ok more questions in post #9, and also after I remove wheel

Called two can am dealers. and both they never done wheel bearing servicing on the RT 622 trailer. One said $275 and the other one $200 said they can read the manual and figure it out.

OR?

I have read several informative threads here on this subject. Might I be better off going to a reputable tire dealer or trailer shop to have this done?

IMG_1440.jpg

Is there a pdf or video on this I can show them. ( I do have my manual for the trailer,
    Have learned to make sure you have water resistant grease. To also not over pack, and other stuff. I hope whoever does it, does it correctly

The below quote I took from a discussion, What are bearing buddies? Do I need to have those too?

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I did Ann's hubs today. She was worried the bearing buddies did not grease the inner bearings; so, took them apart, wiped off old grease, packed in new, charged up the bearing buddies, put back together. FYI, plenty of grease on inner bearings. Plenty to start with, and plenty in the buddy. So, no, not sealed wheel bearings. Old school, hand full of grease, messy fun! Hey, BRP, the 70's called: they want their bearings back!!!
    For 4 grand, the 622 should have sealed ceramic bearings!!!
    call me if you need help. Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    PUBLIC SERVICE NOTICE

Nice day out today so i decided to repack the bearings on my 2010 RT-622 Trailer,........................ Glad I did, when you take off the dust cover it looks pretty good, lots of grease and no moisture, but decided that i was gonna get it done anyway.

Outside Bearing had plenty of grease ..................... Good

Inside Bearing had a little grease ...............Not So Good

Total Repack = No More Concerns ..................Really Good

When you check them don't rely on what you see when you pull the dust cover off ........................... Look further, it may make the difference on your next trip.

Cruzr Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by moorerandy View Post
    Thanks to all the discussion here about RT-622 trailer bearings and grease seals, I was motivated to inspect our trailer's wheel hubs and discovered a leaking grease seal on our 2013 Can-Am RT-622 trailer.

Replaced the leaking grease seal, repacked the wheel bearings with water-resistant grease, and added a set of Bearing Buddy trailer wheel bearing protectors. Following provides part number info for quick reference:

1.) Grease Seal (Aka: Oil Seal or Aka: Inner Dust Shield) - manufactured by Chicago Rawhide (as suggested by others --- I took the wheel hub to the NAPA Auto Parts store where we measured and confirmed the required grease seal part number):
    NAPA Part Number: 14832 --- purchased from local NAPA Auto Parts store.

2.) Bearing Buddy - Stainless Steel trailer wheel bearing protector:

Model Number: 1980SS (Indicated to fit Outer Bearing Cone: L44649) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Knott bearing number as depicted on trailer hub wheel bearings: L44649

3.) Bearing Buddy Bra (aka Extended Dust Cap):
    Model Number: 19B (Indicated on Bearing Buddy package to fit Bearing Buddy Model 1980) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Again thanks to our Spyderlovers discussion Forum --- I can only imagine that we have been spared from experiencing a trailer hub bearing failure somewhere down the road. Thank You & HooYah!

Last edited by TicketBait; 08-19-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added top statement

Spyder Garage

Default You!

If you can spread peanut butter, you can repack these! Buy a can of axle grease. I like AMSOIL, but Walmart will do. Chock the wheel front and rear, loosen lugnuts. Jack up an inch or two. Place jackstands under trailer. Remove wheel. Pry off cap. Wipe off grease. Remove cotter pin. Unscrew nut. Wear rubber gloves. Pull out bearing. Set aside. Tug on hub. Remove. Remove bearing, seal. Wash bearings in solvent, clean up hub. Once clean and dry, inspect for damage. Roll bearing, feel for flat spots. If good, put a ping pong ball sized glob of grease in your palm. Use bearing to scoop grease in between bearing and race. Do the other one. Inspect grease seal. If ok, install along with bearing (inner). Slip hub on, install other bearing. Slip on washer and castlelated nut. Tighten until there is no endplay. Insert cotter pin. Install bearing buddies, use grease gun to fill. Put rubber cap (bra). Put wheel on, tighten lugnuts. Torque. Do the other side. Or, see Finless Bob, or, bring it to me. Really is easy. Call if you need help! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    If you can spread peanut butter, you can repack these! Buy a can of axle grease. I like AMSOIL, but Walmart will do. Chock the wheel front and rear, loosen lugnuts. Jack up an inch or two. Place jackstands under trailer. Remove wheel. Pry off cap. Wipe off grease. Remove cotter pin. Unscrew nut. Wear rubber gloves. Pull out bearing. Set aside. Tug on hub. Remove. Remove bearing, seal. Wash bearings in solvent, clean up hub. Once clean and dry, inspect for damage. Roll bearing, feel for flat spots. If good, put a ping pong ball sized glob of grease in your palm. Use bearing to scoop grease in between bearing and race. Do the other one. Inspect grease seal. If ok, install along with bearing (inner). Slip hub on, install other bearing. Slip on washer and castlelated nut. Tighten until there is no endplay. Insert cotter pin. Install bearing buddies, use grease gun to fill. Put rubber cap (bra). Put wheel on, tighten lugnuts. Torque. Do the other side. Or, see Finless Bob, or, bring it to me. Really is easy. Call if you need help! Joe
    Plus DIY helps you know your stuff & what to do when you are out of options
    Just few additional pointers: bearing grease usally has a funky smell to it just FYI ,the cotter pin may need replacing if bent too much they just snap, you might want to install something like Bering buddies to help with the next time

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thank you both for your advice, Joe I will show what you wrote to whoever I hire to do this job I have no intention of attempting this. My question am I better off at one of the dealerships or going to a local reputable tire store near me. I’m going to call the tire store tomorrow and see what they say.

Tomorrow morning I am having a new rear tire put on as there’s hardly any tread left and when I get up to the Norcal event three weeks from now I want to have a squared away alignment time as well 👍

Spyder Garage

Default Fix

Any trailer dealership can do it.
    No problem on the alignment! See you there! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Plus DIY helps you know your stuff & what to do when you are out of options
    Just few additional pointers: bearing grease usally has a funky smell to it just FYI ,the cotter pin may need replacing if bent too much they just snap, you might want to install something like Bering buddies to help with the next time

I do not recommend Bearing Buddy's for such a simple job. Bearing Buddy's do not get grease to the rear Bearing unless you fill up the entire Hub and put grease in at a

high pressure. This is such a simple job even a "Cave Man" can do it. Seriously! Manual for the 622 can be down loaded from the BRP site or you can still order one.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took our utility trailer to a local tire dealer that also does brakes and wheel alignments. Cost me $50 total to repack the bearings. Seems to me that a couple of outfits have a get rich quick scheme going on.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

TicketBait… I know you can take the wheels off the axle. It is super simple.
    If you don't want to mess with the grease, remove them per instructions above and take the mess to a car place for clean and repack.
    Return home and put the wheels back on.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

My questions are in Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    TicketBait… I know you can take the wheels off the axle. It is super simple.
    If you don't want to mess with the grease, remove them per instructions above and take the mess to a car place for clean and repack.Yes I will try this first
    Return home and put the wheels back on.

Bob
    Ok, yes I know how to remove wheel, but have some questions re: Red highlights
    Buy a can of axle grease. I like AMSOIL, but Walmart will do.

Chock the wheel front and rear, loosen lugnuts. Jack up an inch or two.

Place jackstands under trailer.

Remove wheel.

Pry off cap. Wipe off grease.

Remove cotter pin.
    Unscrew nut.
    Wear rubber gloves.
    Pull out bearing. Set aside
    . Tug on hub. Remove. Remove bearing, seal. Wash bearings in solvent, clean up hub. Once clean and dry, inspect for damage.

Roll bearing, feel for flat spots.If good, put a ping pong ball sized glob of grease in your palm.

Use bearing to scoop grease in between bearing and race.
    Do the other one.

Inspect grease seal. If ok, install along with bearing (inner).

Slip hub on, install other bearing.

Slip on washer and castlelated nut.

Tighten until there is no endplay.

Insert cotter pin. What size, will tire shop have this?

Install bearing buddies, use grease gun to fill. Do I get Bearing buddies at pep boys or auto zone or order on internet? size #1980

Put rubber cap (bra).
    Put wheel on, tighten lugnuts. Torque. Torque to what? I have a torque wrenchDo the other side. Or, see Finless Bob, or, bring it to me. Really is easy. Call if you need help! Joe

Also what are trailer wheels torqued to?

Unbelieveable, my 2 ton jack isn’t working and I looked all over for my jackstands and realized I sold them in a garage sale
    TicketBait
    Last edited by TicketBait; 08-19-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Everything got turned sidewaze. I4GQetOwRiam0tK1V8aYGg.jpg literally

Spyder Garage

Default Bearing packer

I have a Lisle Handy Packer Bearing Packer #34550, and I have packed my own bearings. This unit allows you to put "Bearing Grease" in through the bottom and then press, with my hands down, and will force out the old grease and force the new grease into the bearing. I have done this to all the rear wheel bearings and have taken it to Canada and will be taking it to Spyderquest this year. I have taken it out for trial runs to check for bearing hear and there is none. The unit is from Lisle Corporation Clarinda Iowa, 516321. Hope this helps.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    I have a Lisle Handy Packer Bearing Packer #34550, and I have packed my own bearings. This unit allows you to put "Bearing Grease" in through the bottom and then press, with my hands down, and will force out the old grease and force the new grease into the bearing. I have done this to all the rear wheel bearings and have taken it to Canada and will be taking it to Spyderquest this year. I have taken it out for trial runs to check for bearing hear and there is none. The unit is from Lisle Corporation Clarinda Iowa, 516321. Hope this helps.
    Ok I ran around today getting hydraulic jack oil,
    only to discover that the seals are bad on the jack,
    so went to Harbor Freights and got an inexpensive jack
    and floor stands, while at auto zone picked
    up this grease, doesn't say water resistant,
    but will get next time. (unless you experts tell me differently)
    WcqTxLJeQqGOWa4S4H4X8w.jpg

gjdm2RsXTH21v4TyCZbtLw.jpg

Also pep boys had the Lisle Bearing Packer and I watched a youtube
    video on how it works, (thx viperryder)

So .....stay tuned later this week I will attempt to pack the bearings

Anybody know what size cotter pin do I need to get? if not I will pull the one in there out and use that to match up.

I will look in manual to see if torque specs are given on
    trailer wheels, unless someone knows off the top of there head!?

on a side note when I was in the checkout line at pep boys the cashier
    asked if I was doing an engine change, and in a lower and deeper voice
    I said, " nah, no engine change this time, just wheel bearings on my trailer!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I do not recommend Bearing Buddy's for such a simple job. Bearing Buddy's do not get grease to the rear Bearing unless you fill up the entire Hub and put grease in at a

high pressure. This is such a simple job even a "Cave Man" can do it. Seriously! Manual for the 622 can be down loaded from the BRP site or you can still order one.

Jack
    Jack,

I have read lots of posts on the trailer bearings and in each one you recommend against the bearing buddies but yet many others do recommend them. I've even seen posts supposedly proving grease does get to inner bearing. Do you know something or have some sort of proof that refutes the others? And I do know about they stick out too far - an aesthetics concern - but it would be really good for everyone to be in agreement on whether the bearing buddies actually work or not - or more importantly, even if they are just a 'placebo' will they ultimately give you false sense of security leading to damage. Regardless of how simple a repack may be, please show us some evidence that the buddies actually don't work. Thanks!
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

You can buy Pre-greased hubs at etrailer.com or eastmarine - Just take old hub off and slide on new- about $40 Each hub as long as you know the sizes. Just an option-When you watch a bunch of YouTubes on the topic its not hard to do as long as you have gloves!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!