Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS warm starting problem

Hello,

I have a 2014 Spyder RTS, SE6 purchased two years ago. Occasionally, it will start then immediately die. This only happens after it's warm, and only now and then. I have to hold the throttle open slightly to get it to stay started. Once I rev the engine a few times, it's fine.

I asked a local dealer. They said it could be any one of many things. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what is the cause and fix?

Thanks,
    Thunderstorm

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Warm start issue

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2014 Spyder RTS, SE6 purchased two years ago. Occasionally, it will start then immediately die. This only happens after it's warm, and only now and then. I have to hold the throttle open slightly to get it to stay started. Once I rev the engine a few times, it's fine.

I asked a local dealer. They said it could be any one of many things. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what is the cause and fix?

Thanks,
    Thunderstorm
    I recall there being a BRP bulletin about this, it had more to do with idling , so it could be related .....your USELESS dealer could investigate this .....they can also retrieve from the computer any service work that was done on your Spyder by plugging it in to B.U.D.S. ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How I fixed mine

On many occasion my 2014 RTS did have a hot starting problem, and when it did start it would run rough for a short time, but never shut off...When I serviced it this past winter I disconnected the fuel tank vent line from the purge valve...Problem went away...

I ran a separate vent line from the vent fitting on top of the fuel tank to the bottom and rear of the spyder...I put a cheap fuel filter in the new line to keep contamination out and also a cheap fuel filter in the line disconnected from the purge valve...

Its a cheap fix, less than $6.00 and about an hour of time...

I have about 5000 miles on this summer and NEVER had the problem repeat its self...

larryd

Spyder Garage

This was common on 2010 and 2011. Thought the issue had been solved. Had dealer fix on both the above. Advice above is right on though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all! I'll try the vent line fix and see how that works.
    James

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Report back with results

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
    Thanks all! I'll try the vent line fix and see how that works.
    James
    Please report back here with your results...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Please report back here with your results...
    It may take a while, but I will reply with results. Thanks again all!

Spyder Garage

Just had the same issue diagnosed by Durst Powersports in Durham. They kept saying it "may be" the fuel pump. I had already did some digging around and found another post here that said it was their purge valve. Sure enough, the diagnostic results showed the purge valve was failing intermittently.

The failure throws a code but does not keep it where you can retrieve it. Only the diagnostic retrieved the failure(s).

Good luck with your issue!