Spyder Garage

Default STEER CLEAR OF CENTRAL COAST YAMAHA IN SANTA MARIA CALIF........

I'm not sure it this is the right place or if this post will be deleted but here goes.........

I am a very happy owner of a brand new 2018 Spyder RT that I got from Central Coast in Santa Maria Calif. I feel I got a good deal and was happy with the price (27k and change). I asked for one out of the box that had not been sitting on the floor. No problem. A few days into getting it ready for me to drive home they said there was a problem with the radio and would have to check it out. They say that from the factory the cable going to the radio was too short and the end was messed up for the antenna. They had to order a new harness to replace the one that was bad. That would be a couple of days getting it, another day or two to replace it and then it would be good.
    They finally got it ready. My sales person says that because of the issues and delays and such he's going to talk to BRP about getting me an extra year on the warranty. We all know his lips were moving and the rest was just *&%$.

SO now comes time for me to set up my 3k first service. I call and make an appointment. A few days later I wanted to check on time line and cost.

The cost for the 3k service is $$$ 568 $$$$$ WTH!!

I am not stupid. I had already done some research and did a LOT more. I checked here on the forums, I checked web sites across the country and actually called a few dealers. Average across the country for the 3k service is between 2 and 3 hundred dollars. This has been talked about many times here on the forum.....

I called and talked to the service writer person where I bought the bike in Santa Maria and he said ...."they have problems working on Spyders so they don't use the flat rate book they just charge it out at FIVE HOURS" WTH???!!!!!

Having already had a conversation with the owner and the service writer at Fred Commings Motor Sports in Bakersfield Ca I knew what I needed to do. I called them and said I need a quote for a 3k service on a 2018 Spyder. He called back a couple hours later and told me the info and also sent it to me e-mail.

FULL COMPLETE 3K SERVICE FOR $$$ 248 $$$$$ They have a certified BRP mechanic. The book rate is 1.66 hours.

I told them to book me. That is a 2 hour ride from where I live but with what you have read above you would agree that I now have a plan. I actually took off the day before, stayed over night in a motel, got my bike at the shop at 9am, they had it done in two and a half hours and called me while i was actually sitting in their customer lounge waiting for the call.

In the mean time I had another chance to talk to Garth the owner and told him that it would be nice if they did an "old person or military discount for their services".......he said we keep our prices as low as you can find but I'll give you a break on coming over here. He bumped down the 1.66 service time to 1.51 and took that off the end cost.

I drove 127 miles to that dealership. I could have ridden 8 miles to where I bought it.

I threw all of this at CENTRAL COAST and they have have not responded or replied.

Draw your own conclusions. Sales and service. Central Coast sells.......Then.........????????????

Safe travels my friends......

PS.....I'm on at trip right now 727 miles in two days and a lot more to go

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear...

Hope the open road has gotten the bitter taste out of your mouth and you are enjoying the trip. Send along some pictures so we can lounge chair travel with you... glad you did the research and saw what goes on but your not alone...ryde on.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Due diligence is good. Need I say more?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had my 2018 RTL serviced at Elk Grove Power Sports (near Sacramento) and had a hitch installed as well. Total was just over $500. Thats including the hitch install!!

I rode it in (2 hrs), they took it and did the job in just over 3 hours and I rode home.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SERVICE ISSUES

Well this is just another Arrow in the Purchasing MYTH - " you should really buy your Spyder from the dealer who is going to perform your servicing, because they will treat you right " ............ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well this is just another Arrow in the Purchasing MYTH - " you should really buy your Spyder from the dealer who is going to perform your servicing, because they will treat you right " ............ Mike
    I didn't. I won't touch the dealer I bought the bike from. They'd be worse that the OP's dealer. It's 20 minutes away but I'll ride 2 hours to avoid them.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I didn't. I won't touch the dealer I bought the bike from. They'd be worse that the OP's dealer. It's 20 minutes away but I'll ride 2 hours to avoid them.
    Mike was saying that it is a good idea to purchase from the dealer that you want to use for service.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default different wording - but

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mike was saying that it is a good idea to purchase from the dealer that you want to use for service.
    Actually Ann I said just the opposite ...... that being said - not ALL dealers will operate in this manner .... however relying on the Myth can get you screwed ...... Mike