Spyder Garage

Default clutch acting llke throttle

Last night after work I only let the Spyder warm up to one bar. Every time I came to a stop, when I pulled in the clutch, it would idle around 3500 rpm. I tried bliping the throttle; but, it had no affect. To lower the rpm, I let the clutch out with the brake applied. This went on for a few miles of stop and go traffic. Then, it cleared up and the idle was okay. Anybody else experience this?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also had some peculiar 'high idle' sessions. Along with that I had a few power steering 'burps' at 70 mph. Wow!

After much reading of this forum I replaced the Gear Position Sensor ($90) as this part has been found to cause both of these problems.

Initially I contacted our most local dealer to report my problems and they agreed to order the part before I brought in my machine. Once the part had arrived (2 weeks later) I decided I didn't trust this service dept to do anything on my Spyder so I paid for the part and replaced it myself.

Your choice. Stuart

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart49 View Post
    I also had some peculiar 'high idle' sessions. Along with that I had a few power steering 'burps' at 70 mph. Wow!

After much reading of this forum I replaced the Gear Position Sensor ($90) as this part has been found to cause both of these problems.

Initially I contacted our most local dealer to report my problems and they agreed to order the part before I brought in my machine. Once the part had arrived (2 weeks later) I decided I didn't trust this service dept to do anything on my Spyder so I paid for the part and replaced it myself.

Your choice. Stuart
    I may have to do this myself, too, as BRP and the dealer have been most incooperative. Our idle still sticks, although it is variable, and seldom as high as 3500 rpm. Usually it is nearer 2K. Worst right after a warm start.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

It just doesn't make sense to replace the GPS yourself when the dealer will do it for free. Mine did it and it took 1/2 hour. No hassle, no charge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It just doesn't make sense to replace the GPS yourself when the dealer will do it for free. Mine did it and it took 1/2 hour. No hassle, no charge.
    If they would do it, I would go that route. BRP says "No", so they won't.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If they would do it, I would go that route. BRP says "No", so they won't.
    -Scotty
    More than one way to skin a cat. Tell them you have PS locking issue and make them give you a GPS installed at their expense. Leave the idle issue out of it.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    More than one way to skin a cat. Tell them you have PS locking issue and make them give you a GPS installed at their expense. Leave the idle issue out of it.
    Won't be any joy there, either. If my dealer can't verify it, he won't fix it. I'm not leaving the Spyder there again indefinitely so they can ride it every day to try to verify a problem. Who's your dealer?
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

My dealer is Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo. I left Spyder with them for a week to do 6,000 mile service and gave them a detailed list of the problems with my steering. I also listed information about the GPS service bulletin, and gave them copies of my report filed with the NHTSA.

1 Week later they had it all done. That was in March - 3,500 miles ago and everything seems fine since then.

No charge to troubleshoot the steering, replace the GPS or to fix the parking brake.

Perhaps me showing them that I had filed with NHTSA put a fire under their butt!

I'll be sending them the steering recall info next week and see when they will be ready to perform the software updates.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Spyder Garage

My dealer is Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo. I left Spyder with them for a week to do 6,000 mile service and gave them a detailed list of the problems with my steering. I also listed information about the GPS service bulletin, and gave them copies of my report filed with the NHTSA.

1 Week later they had it all done. That was in March - 3,500 miles ago and everything seems fine since then.

No charge to troubleshoot the steering, replace the GPS or to fix the parking brake.

Perhaps me showing them that I had filed with NHTSA put a fire under their butt!

I'll be sending them the steering recall info next week and see when they will be ready to perform the software updates.
    Interesting, they're my dealer, too, and have refused to repair several issues they were unable to verify. Maybe it was the NHTSA filing that did the trick. Unfortunately, with this new software fix soon to be released, I doubt they will get authorization to address any new steering issues any other way...at least not immediately. One thing is for certain, they won't get the Spyder for an entire month again, just to say "No". It took Carlo and some major threats just to get them to do the work they did (half my list)...some of it after over a year of waiting.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Wow - sorry to hear you've had such troubles! Other than costing me $$$$ they have done right by me. I was really afraid they wouldn't be able to fix something as complex as the steering - but they did. I've been their first on just about every service - which doesn't thrill me - but it's gone very well so far.

Now, their sales department is a bit lacking ---- not the people --- but the fact that they don't stock hardly anything and only order 'as needed'.

Hence why I ordered by Saddle Bags from Rob's - they order a bunch to have in stock - makes sense.

Laura is who I deal with at the service desk - her husband Jeff is the only Spyder Tech they have. He has an extensive bike background and seems to have a good handle on the Spyder. I hear come winter time they will be sending another person for Spyder training.

So you had a big list of problems? Can I ask what? I think I recall you saying something about cracked windshields---- I assume you resolved that yourself with the CHAD?

Spyder Garage

Wow - sorry to hear you've had such troubles! Other than costing me $$$$ they have done right by me. I was really afraid they wouldn't be able to fix something as complex as the steering - but they did. I've been their first on just about every service - which doesn't thrill me - but it's gone very well so far.

Now, their sales department is a bit lacking ---- not the people --- but the fact that they don't stock hardly anything and only order 'as needed'.

Hence why I ordered by Saddle Bags from Rob's - they order a bunch to have in stock - makes sense.

Laura is who I deal with at the service desk - her husband Jeff is the only Spyder Tech they have. He has an extensive bike background and seems to have a good handle on the Spyder. I hear come winter time they will be sending another person for Spyder training.

So you had a big list of problems? Can I ask what? I think I recall you saying something about cracked windshields---- I assume you resolved that yourself with the CHAD?
    Jeff is a great tech...very knowledgeable. Other than the greasy fingerprints he left all over the Spyder last visit, and the headlights that didn't work until I told him and he repaired them, he did well. Even changed the console with my extra outlets and custom wiring, without a wimper or extra charge.

Laura and I have had our ups and downs. Biggest problem is that she is the service writer, and must get the warranty repairs authorized by BRP. She doesn't seem willing to go to bat on the customer's behalf. That's why Carlo had to get involved. Even then, the ball was in her court and she had to be nudged. I would prefer to deal with someone else...and probably so would she.

I won't air the list of difficulties, mostly minor, here. They eventually took care of the majority of them, including the parking brake and windshield, but only after a great deal of effort on my part, The salesman's help, BRP's direct involvement, and over a year's time for a portion of them. There are a few that were denied by BRP without anyone even investigating them. I don't complain idly, and that was not fair, to dismiss my claims without even a question or a look. As to the idle problem, despite it getting worse and worse, and almost always being there now, they can't seem to see it. If they can't see it, they won't try to fix it. Maybe it is magic or something. It seldom is gone anymore, but only is present when the Spyder is moving. Idles fine as soon as it comes to rest.

Don't get me wrong, these can all be lived with. I ride old Brit bikes, so I can stand almost any mechanical glitch. It should not be necessary to do so, however, or to jump through huge, difficult hoops and wait great lengths of time to do so. I like the Spyder and have considered buying a second one, but I really envy the people here who have had some of the same problems addressed without hesitation. (Oops, sorry about the rant and the hijacking.)
    -Scotty