Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Considering switch from 2 to 3 wheels.

Hi all. New here, and am currently selling my Yamaha Venture of early 80's vintage. My Yamaha "widow maker" of the same era for MX has already been sold. Why? A right ankle fusion 5 years ago does not make a good braking device since it is locked in place. Further fusion surgery a month ago just confirms it that much more. Been riding/racing on dirt since late 60's and following asphalt trails since mid 70's.
    But I don't want to quit riding. ATV's are fun for backwood poker runs and I use mine all the time for various chores. Sleds are fun for awhile but winter is a busy work season for me, so I sold them.
    So here I am wondering if going the Spyder route is a good option. Been lurking and noticing you don't see a lot of them for sale. 2013 appeared to be a big change year and I do like the look and features of the ST Limited. Bigger engine in 2014 with better mpg also raises the bar. I know I need to ride one and see how it goes. Appreciateany thoughts in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
    Hi all. New here, and am currently selling my Yamaha Venture of early 80's vintage. My Yamaha "widow maker" of the same era for MX has already been sold. Why? A right ankle fusion 5 years ago does not make a good braking device since it is locked in place. Further fusion surgery a month ago just confirms it that much more. Been riding/racing on dirt since late 60's and following asphalt trails since mid 70's.
    But I don't want to quit riding. ATV's are fun for backwood poker runs and I use mine all the time for various chores. Sleds are fun for awhile but winter is a busy work season for me, so I sold them.
    So here I am wondering if going the Spyder route is a good option. Been lurking and noticing you don't see a lot of them for sale. 2013 appeared to be a big change year and I do like the look and features of the ST Limited. Bigger engine in 2014 with better mpg also raises the bar. I know I need to ride one and see how it goes. Appreciateany thoughts in advance.
    I think you have answered your own question. Test drive is the way to go. You will save money on any two cylinder. They are now discontinued. Check out the 4-sale section here. Lot's of options. Due diligence will get you a good rig at a good price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With the issue of your right ankle, you should consider adding a hand brake to any unit you decide on .
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Along the lines of Granpot’s comment above, you only have a footbrake to operate all brakes on the Spyder. You can add a hand operated brake (ISCI) but you would need to do some research to see if it would work for you.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I owned a 1985 Venture for 10+ years, and loved it. Wife decided she wanted to start riding with me. As you know, the Venture was a great motorcycle, but was top-heavy. I'm not getting any younger, and I didn't want to have to hold both of us up on that Venture every time we stopped at a light. Jokingly, I told her we would have to buy a different bike, and she said "OK!" Soon after, we're proud owners of a 2014 RT Limited. Fast forward to now, and we try to get out for a ride a few times a week, and longer trips on weekends. It's a bit of a 'getting used to' on the Spyder, but you'll never have to worry about putting your feet down at a light ever again. Best of all, the wife loves riding, and you know what hey say - Happy wife, happy life!!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

AKspyderman
    it will, in the end, all be in the test Ryde. Your gonna find it a most interesting experience as it is different form all your past ryding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2013 STS

I have a 2013 ST-S and love it. I bought it sight unseen and had never ridden a trike before.
    I was lucky as after a few farkles she is perfect for my touring needs. Just rode from
    Pittsbyurgh, PA to Carson City, NV. Plenty of power for me.
    I agree with all above that a test ride is needed to determine
    your fit and how the bike feels to you.
    There are plenty of parts available for the twins and the older machines are
    available at very reasonable prices.
    A hand brake would be a very good investment.
    Good Luck you are in for miles of smiles.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack