Spyder Garage

Default Considering switch from 2 to 3 wheels.

Hi all. New here, and am currently selling my Yamaha Venture of early 80's vintage. My Yamaha "widow maker" of the same era for MX has already been sold. Why? A right ankle fusion 5 years ago does not make a good braking device since it is locked in place. Further fusion surgery a month ago just confirms it that much more. Been riding/racing on dirt since late 60's and following asphalt trails since mid 70's.
    But I don't want to quit riding. ATV's are fun for backwood poker runs and I use mine all the time for various chores. Sleds are fun for awhile but winter is a busy work season for me, so I sold them.
    So here I am wondering if going the Spyder route is a good option. Been lurking and noticing you don't see a lot of them for sale. 2013 appeared to be a big change year and I do like the look and features of the ST Limited. Bigger engine in 2014 with better mpg also raises the bar. I know I need to ride one and see how it goes. Appreciateany thoughts in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
    Hi all. New here, and am currently selling my Yamaha Venture of early 80's vintage. My Yamaha "widow maker" of the same era for MX has already been sold. Why? A right ankle fusion 5 years ago does not make a good braking device since it is locked in place. Further fusion surgery a month ago just confirms it that much more. Been riding/racing on dirt since late 60's and following asphalt trails since mid 70's.
    But I don't want to quit riding. ATV's are fun for backwood poker runs and I use mine all the time for various chores. Sleds are fun for awhile but winter is a busy work season for me, so I sold them.
    So here I am wondering if going the Spyder route is a good option. Been lurking and noticing you don't see a lot of them for sale. 2013 appeared to be a big change year and I do like the look and features of the ST Limited. Bigger engine in 2014 with better mpg also raises the bar. I know I need to ride one and see how it goes. Appreciateany thoughts in advance.
    I think you have answered your own question. Test drive is the way to go. You will save money on any two cylinder. They are now discontinued. Check out the 4-sale section here. Lot's of options. Due diligence will get you a good rig at a good price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With the issue of your right ankle, you should consider adding a hand brake to any unit you decide on .
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Along the lines of Granpot’s comment above, you only have a footbrake to operate all brakes on the Spyder. You can add a hand operated brake (ISCI) but you would need to do some research to see if it would work for you.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I owned a 1985 Venture for 10+ years, and loved it. Wife decided she wanted to start riding with me. As you know, the Venture was a great motorcycle, but was top-heavy. I'm not getting any younger, and I didn't want to have to hold both of us up on that Venture every time we stopped at a light. Jokingly, I told her we would have to buy a different bike, and she said "OK!" Soon after, we're proud owners of a 2014 RT Limited. Fast forward to now, and we try to get out for a ride a few times a week, and longer trips on weekends. It's a bit of a 'getting used to' on the Spyder, but you'll never have to worry about putting your feet down at a light ever again. Best of all, the wife loves riding, and you know what hey say - Happy wife, happy life!!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

AKspyderman
    it will, in the end, all be in the test Ryde. Your gonna find it a most interesting experience as it is different form all your past ryding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2013 STS

I have a 2013 ST-S and love it. I bought it sight unseen and had never ridden a trike before.
    I was lucky as after a few farkles she is perfect for my touring needs. Just rode from
    Pittsbyurgh, PA to Carson City, NV. Plenty of power for me.
    I agree with all above that a test ride is needed to determine
    your fit and how the bike feels to you.
    There are plenty of parts available for the twins and the older machines are
    available at very reasonable prices.
    A hand brake would be a very good investment.
    Good Luck you are in for miles of smiles.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

there are plenty of low mile, creampuff Spyders out there. The twin is okay, the triple is awesome.
    people buy these, and something medical or physical comes up. This is part of the demographic.
    There are deals. You need a test drive or two, you will join the community .
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default here is a wonderment

if the automatics ( s-e models ) have the foot brake , and a paddle clutch switch , how hard would it be too have the foot brake moved too the left side ? I know the brake set-up in the rear on the right side , but maybe a carry over linkage from the left foot area too where the foot brake was on the right side ? has me thinking

Spyder Garage

Default I see a Spyder in your future

I see a Spyder in your future .

There are many different models available - with some great pricing on used models if you are patient.

Try to understand the riding position of the various models before you buy - some are harder to retrofit to comfy than others IMO.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    A hand brake would be a very good investment.
    I put a hand brake on mine......and then had to shell out extra $$$ for an adjustable lever for small hands.

Also the pull is too stiff because they went overboard with the extra return spring that is part of the "add-on".
    I have a different spring but haven't installed it yet.

It appears that the hand lever will never give you quite the emergency braking that the foot pedal does but should be quite adequate in most non-emergency situations.

The brake pedal on an RT pushes pretty much straight down so you might be OK with it.

A test ride is required.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the limited movement in your right ankle, you should test sit/ride all the models to see which one you can best operate the foot brake. Like others said the ISCI handbrake option might be a necessary $$$.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a note, in 2014 the ST still had the twin, and in fact, never was fitted with the larger 1330 triple with the improved mileage and reduced maintenance schedule. Like someone else said, test ryde them all ST, RT, and F3. They are all different in ryding position, and passenger ryding position! Good Luck!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies so far. My biggest issue with an 800+ lb. 2 wheeled tourer was I could never get comfortable pushing the foot brake down with right foot, keep my balance and then get that foot down when stopped. Not an issue as much on smooth pavement, but bouncing around coming to a stop while just using heel or ball of foot to try to apply the right amount of pressure is a challenge in itself. Not really an issue with a dual purpose bike such as a KLR 650 which are half the weight, but this is what got me looking into the Spyders in the first place. They are far and few between up in these parts - a couple in Spokane area and then a few more out in Seattle (8 hours away).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you wait a few weeks, brp are unveiling their <$10k usd Spyder - we're all guessing as to what it may be, but it will offer another (cheaper) way into the spyder world.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a smaller trike is being introduced. I want more of a touring-feel when I get on vs. A crotch rocket feel. Both knees are replaced as well, so comfort and ergonomics will be important. Don't care whether auto or manual but will want floorboards of some kind rather than pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree, it's a wait and see, but my bet is that it will have f3 ergonomics. My favourite....

Spyder Garage

Smile I made the switch in APR 2018.

Test ride is a must!

I'm a 57 years old male with very worn out body parts (feet, knees, hips & back).
    I had Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado.
    I purchased a new leftover 2017 F3 Limited late April of 2018.
    Love the F3 adjustability and the cruiser rider positioning.
    Not a fan of the mirror location, all I see is my elbows.
    It took me sometime to adapt but I'm riding with a smile.

2 up riding is a breeze, rain and sand is not as challenging too.

Best of luck in your search.
    September Lake George, NY 2018 Spyderfest looking for bike option inspiration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HeartHopper View Post

Not a fan of the mirror location, all I see is my elbows.
    Great to hear you’re enjoying it HeartHopper. Hang in there with the mirrors. I have a 16 F3-L and it took me many rides to get the mirrors where I only just had my elbows in the mirror and a good view behind me. Also there are a couple of vendors out there who sell a convex mirror cover that slips over the F3-L mirrors that really helps with the rear view.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red