Thread: 2012 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT-S

I have a 2012 RT-s and love it. I have put about 16000 mile in two years on the bike. I rode Harley's and Yamaha's for years. Can I expect the same longevity out of the Spyder, that I did the other machines?? I am a fair mech and do most of my own work, oil,etc. make sure the maintenance is always up to par. I read about all these newer spyders and was wondering if there were others that still rode 6 year old and older models??
    Thanks Guys.....t u

Spyder Garage

Default 2012

I love my 2012 , only had a couple of small problems in the first part of owner ship , other than that the cycle has been running like I hoped it would rolls right along at 60 , too 80 with no problems , although I do not ride at 80 I did get it there a couple of times , ( just a couple of things I get orange screen ---- brake fluid a touch too get the floats up again , and had the blink flasher and red -r blink easy fix ---- having a discussion right now too a non believer on how it seems that one step will fix this ) other than this , the 2012 is a great cycle too get into 3 wheel can-am spyder world <--------- and you will be as we are doing now , going to the next spyder ... a 2017 or so r-t

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

There will be work to do---------

Fluid replacement: coolant, brake , blinker ( )

tires: if not done already

OIL and Filter: you don't know for sure when it was last done????

Do you get the owners manual with your new ryde??? If not it's important reading.

Lots and Lots of info on this site

Others here will chime in with good ideas and intentions.

Questions answered at no charge (
    )

Lew L

Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I change the oil every 3000 miles myself. new tires already, new battery. I have not had any problems, just wondering if it will last like y other machines have. rode one Harley for 50000 miles and an Yamaha for almost as many with not problems, just normal maintenance.

Spyder Garage

I too have a 2012 RT-L.I bought it with 8500 miles on it and to date it has 41000+miles on it. Change the brake fluid (every 2 years and the coolant every 4). IT should last at least 100,000 miles. These motors are built by Rotax in Austria and have been used by other makers as well,Ducati, Aprillia, BMW, Cagiva, Skidoo, Can Am 2 wheelers. They know how to build solid motors.Like you came to the Spyder from a Yamaha background (25 years on Ventures). I think this motor will do as well,I just worry about the electronics. Mechanics I can handle,electronic,not so much.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think about the most important thing on these rascals is a GOOD QUALITY battery. I found that out the hard way.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

still love my 2013 rt-s

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT and though not a lot of miles it does have 34K on it now. Buckeye Chuck a member of this website has over 150K miles on his 2014 RT, a different engine and tranny than you and I but still.

Wishing you many miles of smiles,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I have had my 2012 RT-S since new. 45,000 km on it, with most on long trips. I would not trade it in, as I love the peppy twin.
    Last edited by tjsox; 08-15-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

I'm on three years and I've had to do the regular stuff ie tires, oil, and the air ride pump but that was easy to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I have a 2012 RT-s and love it. I have put about 16000 mile in two years on the bike. I rode Harley's and Yamaha's for years. Can I expect the same longevity out of the Spyder, that I did the other machines?? I am a fair mech and do most of my own work, oil,etc. make sure the maintenance is always up to par. I read about all these newer spyders and was wondering if there were others that still rode 6 year old and older models??
    Thanks Guys.....t u
    The 2012 RT is considered one of the "best" RT's. Longevity should NOT be an issue. We are still riding our 2011 and loving it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I too have a 2012 RT-L.I bought it with 8500 miles on it and to date it has 41000+miles on it. Change the brake fluid (every 2 years and the coolant every 4). IT should last at least 100,000 miles. These motors are built by Rotax in Austria and have been used by other makers as well,Ducati, Aprillia, BMW, Cagiva, Skidoo, Can Am 2 wheelers. They know how to build solid motors.Like you came to the Spyder from a Yamaha background (25 years on Ventures). I think this motor will do as well,I just worry about the electronics. Mechanics I can handle,electronic,not so much.
    agree Mechanics, no sweat, electronic, not all... Thanks

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011, RTS, 60,000 miles. Had a few issues but the dealer took care of all my issues when i still had warrenty. Since warrenty ran out i have had only 2 issues, throttle body needed cleaning and i had to replace the check valve and one 90 degree fitting.
    Still am on original front brakes (half worn out), original bearings, and never had the valves adjusted.
    I think the 998 is a great motor. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles