Spyder Garage

Default Missing second gear!!

Well... second gear is still there but i'm having some trouble. 2010 RT SM5. When I shift from first to second the tranny doesn't always engage and it stays in neutral. It usually happens after riding 30+ miles. I was in traffic in Fort Wayne and taking off from a stoplight I couldn't get it to shift from first to second but after several strong attempts it finally stayed in second. Shifting on up and back down there are no issues. After I park and let it sit for a while, it seems to be ok again. It seems like a heat issue. Guess I need to take it to a dealer? Can I fix it (with some advice from the forum)?
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

What rpm are you shifting at?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Check your shift lever...make sure it's tight on the shaft and is not hitting anything. You may have to adjust it
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wow shades of the 1983-1985 Yamaha Venture.They lost 2nd gear around 30 to 40,000 miles. Sorry no relation to your problem,good luck on resolving it easily and inexpensively.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Only second?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    Well... second gear is still there but i'm having some trouble. 2010 RT SM5. When I shift from first to second the tranny doesn't always engage and it stays in neutral. It usually happens after riding 30+ miles. I was in traffic in Fort Wayne and taking off from a stoplight I couldn't get it to shift from first to second but after several strong attempts it finally stayed in second. Shifting on up and back down there are no issues. After I park and let it sit for a while, it seems to be ok again. It seems like a heat issue. Guess I need to take it to a dealer? Can I fix it (with some advice from the forum)?
    Jim
    This happened to me a lot, but with 3rd also. It would sometimes just stay in 2nd or 3rd and refuse to shift up or down. In my case it was the Gear Box Position sensor (searching that here on the forums will bring up a TON of info, I also have a big thread about it). You can test it with an ohmmeter - it is just a potentiometer that is half hiding behind the front sprocket. Using BUDS your dealer should be able to check for codes, maybe reading the GBPS direct (if you go that route). Replacing it requires pulling the front sprocket. It is time consuming but not difficult if you use the jack method - jack up until you can pull out the lower shock bolt (13mm) then keep jacking up to loosen the belt. If you do it yourself order a new bolt at the same time for the front sprocket from cheapcycleparts.com. Torque the new bolt to 115ft lbs (this was a notice sent out to increase torque; sometimes the bolt would become loose and fall out - happened to a friend's bike).

When it happens, Pull the key for about 30 seconds (until you hear the main relay shut off the headlights) then start up again. Bike will shift down to N by itself.

Also check the oil in the proper way - engine hot and off.

Hope this helps!
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    This happened to me a lot, but with 3rd also. It would sometimes just stay in 2nd or 3rd and refuse to shift up or down. In my case it was the Gear Box Position sensor (searching that here on the forums will bring up a TON of info, I also have a big thread about it). You can test it with an ohmmeter - it is just a potentiometer that is half hiding behind the front sprocket. Using BUDS your dealer should be able to check for codes, maybe reading the GBPS direct (if you go that route). Replacing it requires pulling the front sprocket. It is time consuming but not difficult if you use the jack method - jack up until you can pull out the lower shock bolt (13mm) then keep jacking up to loosen the belt. If you do it yourself order a new bolt at the same time for the front sprocket from cheapcycleparts.com. Torque the new bolt to 115ft lbs (this was a notice sent out to increase torque; sometimes the bolt would become loose and fall out - happened to a friend's bike).

When it happens, Pull the key for about 30 seconds (until you hear the main relay shut off the headlights) then start up again. Bike will shift down to N by itself.

Also check the oil in the proper way - engine hot and off.

Hope this helps!
    Steve
    OP has the SM5.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default RPM shifting

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What rpm are you shifting at?
    I shift through the gears at 4500 rpm for each. Initial shifting - just starting out - it shifts easily into second. After I've ridden for a while it starts missing second... I really shift up firmly when that happens but it still misses at times. All gears around 4500...

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd venture to bet your clutch slave cylinder needs new O rings.