Spyder Garage

Default My little data collection exercise

A while back I collected and posted data on the remaining tread depth on our 2014 RTL front Kenda tires. This was after reading a number of posts about what others were seeing on theirs and I was shocked at the short lifespan being quoted. AGAIN.....this is just FYI on my part.....just actual data on my tires....no intent to re-start any pro or con discussion about the brand or construction. I think that's been done enough and I WILL be shifting to other tires too, when I feel these have gone as far as they can. I collected this second set of numbers today, mainly to help me decide/"sell the idea" of putting street tires on NOW, because "tread life" was almost gone. To be clear, I would change today, if I thought they were unsafe for us. We certainly don't ride the way or distances or speeds or roads that some of you do, but we ride as often as we can and have now become "users" of highway speeds for long periods of travel when necessary.

So, for anyone interested, (IF I didn't do the attachment - PDF - correctly please advise how), here are the current tread depths on our original 2014 Kenda fronts. tire measurements 081318.pdf
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MEASUREMENTS

Although I don't like Kenda's because of their minimum construction ( compared to Auto tires ) .... I have ALWAYS recommended a good Laser alignment, because this will prolong the life of a Kenda ( FRONT only )( nothing prolongs the rear Kenda's - NOTHING ) ..... That being said the Kenda's will never achieve what a decent Auto will get for mileage ...Kenda's average about 22,000 .....Auto tire about 35,000 + ....These are for front tire applications only ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Although I don't like Kenda's because of their minimum construction ( compared to Auto tires ) .... I have ALWAYS recommended a good Laser alignment, because this will prolong the life of a Kenda ( FRONT only )( nothing prolongs the rear Kenda's - NOTHING ) ..... That being said the Kenda's will never achieve what a decent Auto will get for mileage ...Kenda's average about 22,000 .....Auto tire about 35,000 + ....These are for front tire applications only ...... Mike
    Now-now! Don't exaggerate! If you don't ride at all your Kenda's will last a very long time!

The real advantage to switching to a car tire is in the rear. Fronts, as far as longevity, are pretty good with the Kenda's. But handling is much improved by putting the right car tires on the front.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for your data TeninoSpyder

Its always nice to see some numbers to give actual data that can be processed by others. As Sir William Thompson said... "When you can measure what you are speaking about and express it in numbers, you know something about it..." His diligence was recognized with the title Lord Kelvin!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default understood, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes. Just found it an interesting "historical Spyder data" exercise, that's all. I had the wheels off to wax them anyway, so what better way to kill more time than mark the tires and take all these measurements? You know I'm looking for new fronts, but now the urgency may have been displaced until next spring (why have new ones mounted and sitting around all winter doing nothing ? right?) OOPS......wife will be home soon. Gotta go make sure the dishwasher is empty and her coffee is made !! Or else
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Now-now! Don't exaggerate! If you don't ride at all your Kenda's will last a very long time! ....
    Nice thought but they still will dry rot, especially if the are in the sun...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey