Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Angry engine light and dps scrolling on the cluster

Rode to work the other day and no issues. Heading home the check dps message started scrolling, and the check engine light was on. Tried re-setting with the key. Tried removing the key for a day, and still have the same scroll and engine light. Any other suggestions ?? 20 gs sm5, 29000 or so k. Thank's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default engine light

OOOOps, forgot to mentioned removed all the relays and re-set them, also checked all the fuses.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Me Too

Welcome to the club
    Check my post from Saturday, I to have the dreaded Check DPS so I took it to my dealer..... hang on to your A$$
    I got a quote of $1506.08 for the repair to the steering. the DPS unit is $ 1210.99 and 3 hours labor to install & test it.
    I have been told there was a recall on it so I hope there is, if not it's pull out the credit card time... Good Luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    OOOOps, forgot to mentioned removed all the relays and re-set them, also checked all the fuses.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Did you check yuor battery cables? You must grab them and give them a good twist, very little looseness will cause the problem.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Start with....

Start with the battery as you have already checked all the relays and fuses. The DPS is a major user of battery power and if not a good fully charged battery with good connections you will get the message. The check engine light come on to keep it company. That light comes on for everything engine related or not..They should change it to "See your Dealer"...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A long time ago, pretty sure they did the DPS, as per the recall, or just maybe the update. never heard of any other DPS recall. Like you say hold on to your A$$$$$$$, and get ready to break ouy the plastic. I have also within the past 3 months put a BRAND SPANKING new battery in it as well. Will keep checking things out and hopefully it goes away without loading it up on the trailer and going for an operation.

Spyder Garage

As said previous. Check the battery cable connections. The grounds as well. Check the main ground under the seat. (negative jumper post) Warning do not loosen it. It is a prick to tighten up again. After that if the warning is still on the screen get the fault code(s). Post them here and someone will tell you what they mean.
    RS code retrieveal.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode to work the other day and no issues. Heading home the check dps message started scrolling, and the check engine light was on. Tried re-setting with the key. Tried removing the key for a day, and still have the same scroll and engine light. Any other suggestions ?? 2008 gs sm5, 29000 or so k. Thank's.
    omg, even managed to screw up the year, 2008 gs sm5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default engine light and dps scrolling on the cluster

So checked and re checked all the fuses and relays, battery connections A OK, good n tight, tried to pull up any codes or anything, AND BUPKUS, NADA, NIL, ZILCH, nothing at all and yet still have the same issues. Fellow Brothern Spyder riders, HELP.

Spyder Garage

So checked and re checked all the fuses and relays, battery connections A OK, good n tight, tried to pull up any codes or anything, AND BUPKUS, NADA, NIL, ZILCH, nothing at all and yet still have the same issues. Fellow Brothern Spyder riders, HELP.
    What is your battery voltage across your battery when it is running and when it is not?

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Had a similar incident with my 2012 RT, bought the bike used in 2017 and got no service records with it. I usually keep it on a battery tender when not riding, but forgot . It started right up and the wife and I rode to Deadwood to have dinner with some friends. Going up the twisty road from Stugis to Deadwood DPS light came on and then went into limp mode. I was close to Deadwood and continued knowing my friends would help there if needed. Started right up and had no issues going home. Got home pulled the battery and checked it and it tested marginally weak so I replaced it. No problems since and it even seems to have cured my dying at stop signs trouble. I'd load test the battery.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

When retrieving the codes. Did it give a message no active codes or nothing happened? If nothing happened you are not doing it right. The most common mistake is releasing and pressing the mode button an extra time. When you get to the total hours on the display. Don't let go of the mode button. If the display does not have total hours shown while doing the the other steps. It will not work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    When retrieving the codes. Did it give a message no active codes or nothing happened? If nothing happened you are not doing it right. The most common mistake is releasing and pressing the mode button an extra time. When you get to the total hours on the display. Don't let go of the mode button. If the display does not have total hours shown while doing the the other steps. It will not work.
    Tried your solution again, and still nothing, no codes, no numbers , no nothing. Am T the mercy of the dealer now. Going to remove the truck and stereo, don't want them to mess around with that and go from there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder been in the shop for a week now (today ) called last night to check up on it as no news. DPS is pooched. Tried the Recall is for life thing and no go. Will see what happens. I am going to CALL B*******. Sad and rideless and am sure soon to be out a bunch of money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally got my ride back today. The report say's it was showing active codes of P0551 and P0552, which indicated a pooched dps. Any know if these can be repaired ( the failed dps ) or is it a replace and throw away part ?? From what I can tell from the work order the part number is 219800295 DPS KIT RS/GS.
    Total bill 2100.00 bucks.

Spyder Garage

Torque sensor has gone bad. It's an internal item to the DPS and not repairable. So far the only solutions is to replace the whole DPS. When they fail this seems to be almost always the cause.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just replaced DPS and steering position sensor. $1986 All i can say it rides better. But it hurt. You are at the mercy, have you noticed a change in your steering? Ours is night and day.
    2016 F3-T Triple Black
    2016 F3-TSE , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I trailered it home and then parked it in the garage. Have to put it all back together, stereo and such, then will go for a blast. Will advise. Thank you.