Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Gear Shift Lever fail at 30K

Unfortunately my '13 RTL SE5 Gear Shift Lever failed at 30,000 miles. I have read an earlier thread for a '12 SE5.

Thanks to Billybovine and Bob's suggestions in the other thread, I was able to get moving again very quickly (Factory included tool kit had the 13mm wrench and 5mm allen that allowed me to pull the Socket Head Screw out, slide the Gear Shift Lever back on and re-affix. Before I could get home, it happened 3 more times! I know we tightened that bolt as tight as it could, but the lever seemed to be canted on the shaft and the bolt may have worn some of the shifter shaft splines on the outboard section as that retaining bolt worked itself outward on the Shifter shaft.

I've ordered the Gear Shift Lever ( Can-Am item# 420257881) and Socket head screw (M6 X 25 Can-Am item: 205062544) through my local dealer, but am trying to plan ahead incase there's more to this issue.

I'll take any suggestions of what else I should look at if I have to have the Shift Shaft replaced. Per my Service Manual, the Clutch Shaft Ass'y 420620598 includes all the seals, sleeves, springs needed for the shaft. Thankfully that shaft can be done without removing the engine, but there's gotta be other gaskets / seals that have to be replaced with that. I know the clutch cover and hub have to be removed and to take the clutch cover off the right side is almost completely removed, all panels, and the support bar (what there's only 20 zip ties on that support).

Anyone actually done this themselves?
    Last edited by DGoebel; 08-13-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added link to earlier thread
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020