Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Gear Shift Lever fail at 30K

Unfortunately my '13 RTL SE5 Gear Shift Lever failed at 30,000 miles. I have read an earlier thread for a '12 SE5.

Thanks to Billybovine and Bob's suggestions in the other thread, I was able to get moving again very quickly (Factory included tool kit had the 13mm wrench and 5mm allen that allowed me to pull the Socket Head Screw out, slide the Gear Shift Lever back on and re-affix. Before I could get home, it happened 3 more times! I know we tightened that bolt as tight as it could, but the lever seemed to be canted on the shaft and the bolt may have worn some of the shifter shaft splines on the outboard section as that retaining bolt worked itself outward on the Shifter shaft.

I've ordered the Gear Shift Lever ( Can-Am item# 420257881) and Socket head screw (M6 X 25 Can-Am item: 205062544) through my local dealer, but am trying to plan ahead incase there's more to this issue.

I'll take any suggestions of what else I should look at if I have to have the Shift Shaft replaced. Per my Service Manual, the Clutch Shaft Ass'y 420620598 includes all the seals, sleeves, springs needed for the shaft. Thankfully that shaft can be done without removing the engine, but there's gotta be other gaskets / seals that have to be replaced with that. I know the clutch cover and hub have to be removed and to take the clutch cover off the right side is almost completely removed, all panels, and the support bar (what there's only 20 zip ties on that support).

Anyone actually done this themselves?
    Last edited by DGoebel; 08-13-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added link to earlier thread
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Photos of Gear Shifter fail and likely damaged shifter shaft

So here's the pics of how the Shifter lever was "slipping" off the Shifter shaft
    How Shifter lever slips off 1.jpg

Then the apparent damage that the bolt likely caused on the outboard splines that then allowed it to slip off again, and again....
    damaged splines on Shifter shaft.jpg
    We used the stock tool kit allen wrench to tighten that retainer bolt (top pic) that has a long lever.
    5mm Allen wrench in toolkit.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I see the the damage on the shaft spline where the harder steel in the bolt chewed away at it. It should not have taken a lot of torque on the bolt to get the lever to clamp onto the shaft. So that tells me that the shift lever is too worn out. So it was loose a long time. I think a new shift lever will fit far tighter and then will clamp onto the old shaft. Even if the the new lever comes loose it will offer some secondary retention because the new bolt is full diameter again and there is less wear in the new shift lever.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default anyone replaced their V twin Shift shaft assembly?

Billy, That's what I'm hoping. Wondering if I could drill and tap the shift lever retaining bolt one size up that the retaining bolt would snug that groove in the shifter shaft. The original retaining bolt does have some minor thread damage from where it "worked" against those outer splines.

Also wondering if the end of that shifter shaft is threaded, could some sort of end cap be affixed that would keep the shift lever fully on the shaft? Still wondering if anyone on the forum has replaced their shifter shaft or has a end on closeup of that splined end? I can't get that shot without removing the drivers left floor board and mount.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Dave,

considering that both the shift lever and the Trans shaft are both damaged and there appears to be no oil leak from the shaft seal. What I would do is clean both matting serfaces with brake cleaner to remove any contamination. I would then JB weld them together. If down the road you need to replace the Trans shaft you can always cut them apart. You have nothing to lose since you need to replace both anyways.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Les, Funny, that's what Jerry and I discussed last night as well, using JB Weld. I'll try without it initially when the new part comes in. But if it slips again, I'll JB Weld it to finish riding the year out, then order the replacement shaft and parts needed and have that swapped out at the end of our riding season.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

How about mating the two parts the way that fits you and drilling a hole to insert a roll pin? Never have the problem again.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

99AB9431-FE24-481D-B6E4-07F170DC5145.jpgHow about the same stuff being used on the front sprocket?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks Highwayman2013, Loctite 648 (and some others) Retaining compound which is typically used for holding gears and sprockets onto gearbox shafts Gonna go hunt some of that down.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

700 miles and one long weekend later, that was the fix! Wife thinks it shifts smoother.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default issue

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    700 miles and one long weekend later, that was the fix! Wife thinks it shifts smoother.
    .....Glad this worked ..... Mike