Thread: Belt slipped

Spyder Garage

Default Belt slipped

On the way to work this morning I heard a strange sound coming from my 12 RT Limited. When I got to work I seen that the belt was off about an 1/8" off and rubbing on the belt guard. Is there any way to correct this or should this be a shop thing
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Good size empty lot & try going in Reverse for some distance, take a look see if is moving back to normal. If not May need adjust tire diy or shop. Caution on turns in reverse keep everything slow

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

In reverse it has moved. Is this normal???
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rebob View Post
    In reverse it has moved. Is this normal???
    In reverse it will walk out normaly. However, If it was ok before and in the proper distance from the rear wheel flange and now it is walking out going forward, something is wrong. Is axle shaft loose or did front drive pulley wear the splines? Had that happen on one unit, it will walk the belt.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rebob View Post
    On the way to work this morning I heard a strange sound coming from my 12 RT Limited. When I got to work I seen that the belt was off about an 1/8" off and rubbing on the belt guard. Is there any way to correct this or should this be a shop thing
    Well, Rebob, A tuffy to diagnose over the internet. But a couple of things of concern. The belt is free to, and will move back and forth a little all on it's own. Just consider how long it is and you'll understand why. That's normal, and it's normal for it to shift its position between going forward and reverse. Your Owners Manual, on page 128, has a diagram of proper belt position.

However, if it has gone mile after mile after mile, always being in spec, and then suddenly shifts, accompanied by a strange noise, then you need to look for what has changed. You talk about it rubbing the belt guard. To me, the belt guard is that plastic panel than runs along the left side of the belt. So, your belt has shifted way to the left and is hanging over the left edge of the rear sprocket and rubbing on that plastic. Would that be correct? If so, then no, the belt should never touch that or be that far over, especially after a sudden change. Front drive sprockets on the 2012 don't usually come loose, but when they do, that is the direction that the belt would shift. Last person I remember that tried to ride to the dealership under that condition didn't get there before the front drive sprocket fell off. So, you would want to check that yourself or it get to a dealer - preferably by trailer.

The other reason that the belt would suddenly shift alignment is a rear axle tightness issue or a rear bearing issue. Either of which cause a change in alignment between the rear axle and the front sprocket causing the belt to shift position.

With the proper tools, an owner can certainly perform the normal maintenance item of adjusting belt position. But, what I'm hearing you say is that this was a sudden change after a long time of the belt being properly aligned, and that it was possibly accompanied by a strange, new noise. So, if you're not set up for checking it out yourself, I would suggest a trip to the shop.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I did find that the belt tensioner was no aligned correctly on the belt. I made and adjustment and now it looks good. We will see. Thanks for everyone's input
    2012 RT , White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh, you have a tensioner on the belt. Then yes, add that to the list of things. A tensioner will push the belt to the right or left if it is not running true with the belt, or if the roller’s bearing goes out. Keep an eye on it. Nice catch.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238