Spyder Garage

Default Yes, another enclosed trailer question please

Hi folks,

I have been looking at the various strings regarding trailers, and can't find my answer, so I am looking for advice. I will be buying a new ENCLOSED trailer, so i can have the d-rings in the floor placed pretty much anywhere I want. We would need to trailer our 2016 F3 Limited (does not have the rear trunk) and a Ducati.

I was thinking about an aluminum enclosed due to the lower weight. Due to my parking/loading circumstances, I was really hoping I could do this with nothing bigger than a 7' x 16'.

*Regarding tie downs. I have seen posts saying you absolutely must chock the front wheels of the spyder and some say it's not necessary. I was thinking of using the procedure in the owner's manual. A strap around each front wheel, and a strap through the back wheel. Thoughts on that? Chocks wouldn't be a problem if they are the preferred method to safely transport. I could have the trailer dealer install a portable set that pull out easily if I need to use the trailer for hauling "stuff" instead of vehicles.

*this is my BIG question. Can I offset the spyder in front of the trailer, then overlap the wheel chock for the Ducati to the side of the spyder? My concerns would be: is there room for the two d-rings I need to hold the front of the Ducati in place, and if there is room to do this with the side hard bags on the F3L?

I use the "big daddy" tie-down straps with our current trailer that have a felt band at the connecting point to prevent scuffing, so I can pretty much strap to anywhere on the spyder/ducati and not worry about marring any finishes, so unusual tie-down points on the machines is not a concern.

Any thoughts and experiences regarding "smaller" trailer sizes would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 08-13-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need to park your Spyder and Ducati as close as possible but with enough room so if they move around slightly they do not touch anything. Measure the area needed to do this and that will tell you the size of the trailer. The weight might make you go from a 4 pin to a 6 pin which means you will need electric brakes on the trailer. You will also need to know the rake of the Spyder/trailer ramp so you can ride it up and not bottom out. You do not need wheel chocks for a Spyder but they do make trailering easier as you'll need less straps. Strap/D-rings can not be placed anywhere you want. They need to be connected to a crossmember or support bar otherwise they will rip out. Many trailers offer full length bars to move tiedowns "almost" anywhere you want and are the way to go. Trailering requires "slightly" more weight up front to keep the tongue on the ball. With this said you'll need to facture that into the size of the trailer and the tow hitch rating....(you don't want to add 1,000 pounds of weight on a class lll hitch etc).

In short do your homework.
    My buddy just bought a trailer last year and found out it was the wrong type!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    Hi folks,

I have been looking at the various strings regarding trailers, and can't find my answer, so I am looking for advice. I will be buying a new ENCLOSED trailer, so i can have the d-rings in the floor placed pretty much anywhere I want. We would need to trailer our 2016 F3 Limited (does not have the rear trunk) and a Ducati.

I was thinking about an aluminum enclosed due to the lower weight. Due to my parking/loading circumstances, I was really hoping I could do this with nothing bigger than a 7' x 16'.

*Regarding tie downs. I have seen posts saying you absolutely must chock the front wheels of the spyder and some say it's not necessary. I was thinking of using the procedure in the owner's manual. A strap around each front wheel, and a strap through the back wheel. Thoughts on that? Chocks wouldn't be a problem if they are the preferred method to safely transport. I could have the trailer dealer install a portable set that pull out easily if I need to use the trailer for hauling "stuff" instead of vehicles.

*this is my BIG question. Can I offset the spyder in front of the trailer, then overlap the wheel chock for the Ducati to the side of the spyder? My concerns would be: is there room for the two d-rings I need to hold the front of the Ducati in place, and if there is room to do this with the side hard bags on the F3L?

I use the "big daddy" tie-down straps with our current trailer that have a felt band at the connecting point to prevent scuffing, so I can pretty much strap to anywhere on the spyder/ducati and not worry about marring any finishes, so unusual tie-down points on the machines is not a concern.

Any thoughts and experiences regarding "smaller" trailer sizes would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You could start with this....

Lay out a rectangle on your driveway or whatever, and park your two bikes in it to gain an idea of how they could fit together in a 7' X 16' trailer. My guess is you'll have room for one or two more bikes. You can off-set either bike any which way you want as long as they are secure and don't move around. Chocks would be your best choice for both machines. Tie-down locations on any given trailer may be your biggest issue. You are going to have lots of fun marking and measuring tie-down spots from trailer to trailer just to come up with most compatible trailer for your needs. By the way. Don't tie-down to any just 3/8" or 1/2" piece of plywood. You must tie-down to a solid cross member. Good luck.

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is what I use on the front wheels of my Spyder when trailering. I use a heavy duty ratchet strap thru the rear wheel to the anchors.

review-packem-wheel-tie-down-kit-pk-wtd_150.jpg

Packem wheel tie down from e-trailer.

Spyder Garage

Default E track may be an option

I have an aluminum 7x16 v nose trailer as you are thinking about. I have it laid out to haul our rts and the brp622 trailer. Both fit, so you should be ok there. As for tie downs I went with E track on the floors and walls and that way I can secure anything anywhere. So far it’s been awesome. 693C0466-0D1B-4E54-8777-4374B4896865.jpg
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Great info folks. I currently have a 6'x12' motorcycle enclosed trailer (that I will be selling), so I am familiar with those D-ring location restrictions. I am looking at a 7x16 trailer with full length tie down bars for very flexible d-ring installation, like my 6x12 has.

Good idea regarding parking them with a overlap and measuring to get an idea of the size I would need. I see the point regarding chocks for the spyder front wheels. Plus, having them installed means i will always park the spyder in the trailer in the correct location every time.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would go with the e-track recommendation as well, it will give you options. I would also maybe offset the e-track or add a center strip to give you the necessary tie down points.

We used to haul ours in the 8x10 "garage" in our toy hauler. A Spyder in the center as far forward as we could, and Baxley sport chocks for our TWO sportbikes nestled just behind and offset from the Spyder's front fenders. If you don't have side saddle bags on the F3 you can get the bike quite close. With a 16ft trailer you have more options fore/aft to placement but pay attention to getting the proper tongue weight.

Not a very good picture but you get the idea
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

yes, the e-track idea looks interesting. I have not seen that before. appreciate the pix of the e-track set up.

regarding the side bags on the F3. With the F3L, the side bags are integrated into the spyder(including the rear lights), so removing those easily is not an option. That's a big reason I was asking if anyone had experience with overlapping the spyder in a trailer with a limited, or any of the spyders with fixed side bags....If we had an F3-S, this would indeed be a much easier proposition for sure!

thanks.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I had steel hooks welded every 2 feet front and sides block front wheel with 2x4 s tie your rear wheel down going around the tire completely then hook to other side otherwise rear end will move side to side on bumpy road cost of welds 25 dollars did not move in 1500 miles

Spyder Garage

Default my front wheel chocks

My trailer is 6' wide, don't have a wide enough pad to go with a 7'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

thanks for the input folks. I purchased a Cross 8.5 x 16 aluminum trailer today.....actually rode my Ducati and Spyder to the dealership and loaded them onto a couple of different models and we marked the d-ring locations with the bikes in place to ensure there would be no issues.....even at 8.5, there is NOT very much room side-to-side with the front wheel of the Ducati overlapped onto the skinny mid-section of the spyder F3L.

thanks.

Jeff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    My trailer is 6' wide, don't have a wide enough pad to go with a 7'
    Hi I'm also looking for a 6x12 trailer ,where did you get those wheel chocks? Looks like a nice set for wider Spyder front tires..Thanx

Spyder Garage

yes, the e-track idea looks interesting. I have not seen that before. appreciate the pix of the e-track set up.

regarding the side bags on the F3. With the F3L, the side bags are integrated into the spyder(including the rear lights), so removing those easily is not an option. That's a big reason I was asking if anyone had experience with overlapping the spyder in a trailer with a limited, or any of the spyders with fixed side bags....If we had an F3-S, this would indeed be a much easier proposition for sure!

thanks.
    With that having some additional protection, thick towel, moving blankets, or something could help prevent scratches, but not cracks from hard hits if something did jar loose you will be finding best fitment places or each for a few tries anyway. And running some 2"straps in line with the tires can act almost as effective as chalks but does eat up some space. Trailer balance with that length should be easier to find the sweet spots, leaving room to move around will be tricky, may need a door access in the front. Goodluck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Anybody back there spyder in a 6x12 trailer? Trying to see if we can take a mattress set along side wall in our cross country move..or do we pull spyder in all the way to front and use back for mattress..worrying about tongue weight
    Last edited by wilpir; 09-22-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    Anybody back there spyder in a 6x12 trailer? Trying to see if we can take a mattress set along side wall in our cross country move..or do we pull spyder in all the way to front and use back for mattress..worrying about tongue weight
    I just drive mine in and back it out. Most of my open space is toward the front since it’s slightly rounded on the nose.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hi I'm also looking for a 6x12 trailer ,where did you get those wheel chocks? Looks like a nice set for wider Spyder front tires..Thanx
    it is the Rack’em Manufacturing removable wheel chock from Etrailer. The top comes off which is nice when I need to haul Sheetrock or other things.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Why not carry in good position & just move when you need mattress, simplify with air mattress or hammock Enclosed trailer would be a great camp perk itself.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Need mattress at new house 1st thing... probably backing it in and mattress against wall + extras ..bad back and the mrs means no air mattres/cot ect..

Spyder Garage

Default enclosed trailer

Hi folks,

Jeff
    Something you might want to consider if you are getting your trailer build, have the building company put a front door on each side! I had one with two front doors for my Harley, and that was super easy to tie it down! My Spyder was to wide for the trailer, so I sold it to the guy that bought my Harley! Man do i miss that trailer!

Spyder Garage

Default scrape or bottom out

The first question I would have is will the nose scrape entering the ramp and will the underside bottom out at the hinge and get stuck?
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    The first question I would have is will the nose scrape entering the ramp and will the underside bottom out at the hinge and get stuck?
    guess that depends on how high the floor of the trailer is and how long the ramp is. Mine is 6 foot and the trailer sits lower than some I have seen.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default F.Y.I.

Hi folks,

Jeff
    ....this custom made trailer is 7.5' X 20' platform, and we fit 4 Spyders. Tie down in the 3 wheels. They don't move a single bit...

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...