Thread: Headlight

Spyder Garage

Default Headlight

Is changing a headlight on a 2014 RTS a difficult job?

Spyder Garage

Default Re headlight

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    It can be have you removed any of the panels on you bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIFFICULT ????

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    Well that depends on a lot of things ...... do you have tools ( other than what BRP provides which almost nothing ) .... are you Brave .... sometimes people won't do things because they are Afraid of making a mis-take .... The number of things I have attempted to do without any knowledge even scares me ..... but I am methodical, and start slow .... sometimes I take pics of the Before , so I can put something back to what it used to look like ...... For an example look at my Albums - specifically the " 917 project " ..... I'm going to transform someone else's disaster car into something that looks and acts like a real 917 ........... good luck be brave .........and PS the 10mm bolts that are so far back you almost can't see them, need a 10in extension ( on the rachet ) to reach them ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-12-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

The first time I did it I was nerve, but I took my time and it went very well. Now I have done it quite a few times and it is pretty easy and for me to say that. That is saying something. When I take pieces off each side I leave them on the side where they go I do not put them all together that way you know how many screws go back into each side. Also like Mike said a 10mm socket with a extension. Torx driver as well. Total 7 pieces per side including head light I believe. GOOD LUCK You can do it.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

No, it is not a difficcult job if, as others have said, you are familiar with removing the mirrrors and some of the body panels. PLAN TO CHANGE BOTH BULBS AT THE SAME TIME BECAUSE IF ONE HAS GONE THE OTHER WILL GO VERY SOON and you have to remove the front fascia which exposes both bulbs anyway. Begin by studying the procedure that starts on pg 152 of your operatorr's guide. You will need a 10 mm socket with extension to remove the top center bolt on each headlight assembly. It's also good to have some painter's tape to tape that center bolt to the socket when you are reassembling things (Thanks, Ann Meyer). Your bike should have a crayon mark at the hole where the adjustment cable retaining nut is anchored to the chassis. If it doesn't mark mark it or take a photo with your phone.

The bulbs are basic 65W, 9005 halogen bulbs available at any auto parts store where you can buy two for the price of one at a BRP dealer. NEVER TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS AS IT WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE BULB.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just scary; but not difficult.

But the foglights bulbs are about as much fun as a colonoscopy without any anesthesia!

Yes: a major pain in the butt!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My doctor asked me if I wanted to be put out for the colonostopy, and I had to say "who are you?", of course I do.

Spyder Garage

First two with no anesthetic, no problem, told the doc, "Remember, it's like high performance driving school, fast on the straights but brake before the curves."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S