Spyder Garage

Default 2017 Semi Auto Transmission Noise / Whine

Have a 2017 RT-S with Semi Auto transmission. Have noticed in gears 1-3, at about 20-25 miles an hour, there is a definite whine or groaning noise coming from the engine/transmission. Most noticeable if slowing down.

Happens mostly when not under load, almost sounds like it's trying to talk sometimes. Curious if this is just mine, or if this kind of noise is characteristic of the unit.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

There have been many references to transmission noise mostly loose rattling. Some cleared up with a change to a better full synthetic oil some cleared up with time. I do wonder if it is the transmission at all or the belt as the tension and traking can make for some strange noises and the front pulley coming loose can also cause that kind of noise especially with no load. Some things to checkout. You can search the pulley issue and find quite a bit on it. Mostly on the F3 but also back at the begining on the original models...9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll do some more searching. It's not a rattle, it's more of a high-pitched "whirring" noise. Maybe like a cat yowling almost.

I just turned 6,000 miles on it, not sure it's gotten any better or worse since I've had it.

Spyder Garage

Default just a thought

My 2016 RTL had a whine at lower speeds, and on decel at 1645 miles the front sprocket gave out. Check the front sprocket and see if it is red as some have pointed out that seems to be a sure sign you will be left stranded at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    Thanks, I'll do some more searching. It's not a rattle, it's more of a high-pitched "whirring" noise. Maybe like a cat yowling almost.

I just turned 6,000 miles on it, not sure it's gotten any better or worse since I've had it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    My 2016 RTL had a whine at lower speeds, and on decel at 1645 miles the front sprocket gave out. Check the front sprocket and see if it is red as some have pointed out that seems to be a sure sign you will be left stranded at some point.
    Thanks. How hard is it to get a good enough look at this sprocket to see if it's grinding up dust? Can you see in there with a flashlight and a mirror or does the Tupperware have to come off?

Spyder Garage

Thanks. How hard is it to get a good enough look at this sprocket to see if it's grinding up dust? Can you see in there with a flashlight and a mirror or does the Tupperware have to come off?
    I just got my 2016 RT Limited back from the Shop with Engine Sproket repaired. It had the Whine and grind at decileration in 4,5 & 6 gears. It had 21,500 miles on it at failure.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I just got my 2016 RT Limited back from the Shop with Engine Sproket repaired. It had the Whine and grind at decileration in 4,5 & 6 gears. It had 21,500 miles on it at failure.
    Well, that sounds like mine a bit. I notice it more in the lower gears, but mostly when decelerating or holding steady between 20-25 MPH.

I'll see if I can get the Tupperware off of it and inspect mine, but probably should get it in and looked at anyway.

Spyder Garage

Easy to do pull the tupperware and look at the sprocket see attached pic of the color the bright orange is rust but note the red color. If you look at the the inside of the sprocket you can see the teeth are worn down, although the pulleys are off the bike, you can see the color while they are still installed.
    Pulley 2.jpgPulley 1.jpg

Well, that sounds like mine a bit. I notice it more in the lower gears, but mostly when decelerating or holding steady between 20-25 MPH.

I'll see if I can get the Tupperware off of it and inspect mine, but probably should get it in and looked at anyway.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 08-11-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have noticed that the noise isn't generally there when I first start out when the engine is cold.

For S&G's, I changed the oil today with Castrol Full Synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil to see if the oil viscosity might make a difference. So far I'd say the noise is reduced although not totally gone away. I need to do some more riding though to get a better gauge for how much improvement, if any, this actually made.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Easy to do pull the tupperware and look at the sprocket see attached pic of the color the bright orange is rust but note the red color. If you look at the the inside of the sprocket you can see the teeth are worn down, although the pulleys are off the bike, you can see the color while they are still installed.
    Pulley 2.jpgPulley 1.jpg
    Looking at this Sprocket photo, notice the 6 holes in the Sproket. I always heard a little Whining, coming from that area, way before the failure. I wonder if the High RPMs of the Sprocket turning on the engine shaft might by making the Whistle sound thru the 6 Air holes while rotating!
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze