Spyder Garage

Default Imotosports vs Local dealer what are Pluses and minuses

I see a few people on this forum have bought their spyders from imotosports....Just checked today and for a rt limited they are 1525.00 dollars cheaper than my local dealer...Just wondering if its worth the difference to buy from imotosports....i havent checked out this company yet and thought id ask on here first thanks for any info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest it depends on your local dealer, talk to your local dealer, give them a chance to get close to the Imotosports price. A good local healthy dealer is worth a lot more than saving a few bucks. Good dealers should be supported.

Some buyers are so short sighted that they are unable to see beyond saving a few dollars.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like to buy local whenever possible. But I will not let them line their pockets at my expense. The local dealerships here were no where near close in price. If the local people can get to within $1k for an out the door price on a unit, I will buy. If not, Imotorsports will always be my choice.
    And as far as service, I have found that the local shops still provide me with great service and make no favorites when it comes to scheduling and price.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    I see a few people on this forum have bought their spyders from imotosports....Just checked today and for a rt limited they are 1525.00 dollars cheaper than my local dealer...Just wondering if its worth the difference to buy from imotosports....i havent checked out this company yet and thought id ask on here first thanks for any info
    buy locally if you can. they support your community by paying taxes. and supporting your local school, police and fire departments. at least give them a chance. if they are way out of line then go elsewhere. my local dealer did not want my trade, so he told me to go elsewhere.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Depends on the difference and the local dealer. You can take your best offer to them and see if they can beat or match it. Some may do it with accessories, free services, extended warranties etc. Give them a chance the worst is they say they can't....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Do you want your local dealer to be in business for when you need service work or other help?

I sure do...…

Buy local whenever possible.

My local dealer gave me a deal on my 2017 F3 that even Imotosports could not touch.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

A difficult question for sure.

If it's a lot of money difference--I wont pay the extra any more.

In the early days--there were actually dealers that refused to work on a Spyder that was purchased elsewhere. Or--they would put you at the end of the queue or farther--just to "punish" you.

Have not heard much of that lately though. Knock on wood.

Always give your local dealer a chance to make a favorable offer. If they don't--that is their problem.

Once I move to the lower 48, the game will be on. Will give the
    locals an opportunity. But also going to get a quote from IMoto. Here, I have one dealer in 1000 miles--so the options are a bit less.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-10-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Buy where you want and get the best deal.
    I have read hundreds of complaints on here about how bad the local dealers service was, and how people drive hundreds of miles to get service from a "good" dealer. So why would you want to submit yourself to that?

I purchased from Imotorsports and loved it. I tried the local dealer first and he said he couldn't match their price. After I purchased it and took it in for service I was asked why I didn't buy from them. I explained that I tried, but the price was over $3,000.00 more. I was told that the next time I wanted to buy one that they would match any dealers price I got. There is nothing to keep them from selling for the same price as anyone else.
    Next time I will try local again and see how it goes.

I am sure the dealer makes more off of all of the accessories, parts, and services that I give to him than what he would have made off of the original purchase.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 08-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have read hundreds of complaints on here about how bad the local dealers service was, and how people drive hundreds of miles to get service from a "good" dealer. So why would you want to submit yourself to that?

I purchased from Imotorsports and loved it. I tried the local dealer first and he said he couldn't match their price. After I purchased it and took it in for service I was asked why I didn't buy from them. I explained that I tried, but the price was over $3,000.00 more. I was told that the next time I wanted to buy one that they would match any dealers price I got. There is nothing to keep them from selling for the same price as anyone else.

I am sure the dealer makes more off of all of the accessories, parts, and services that I give to him than wat he would have made off of the original purchase.
    There is GOOD margin in accessories, add-on's, etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with blacklightning. My local dealer is only 3 miles from home and does very good, reasonably priced maintenance but the sales guys won't knock one thin dime off MSRP. Ergo I went to a dealer 90 miles away where I got a great deal on my Spyder. Had all my maintenance done there too, good work, until the technician fell flat on his face with the 28K service. and I switched to local service dept. If I'm around for a second one Imotorsports will be a first call.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default i gave a dealer 50 miles from me a chance...

i was willing to spend extra 500 dollars to buy from local dealer--more than IMOTORS...local wouldnt budge below 1k extra--very happy with IMOTOR in all aspects...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post

I am sure the dealer makes more off of all of the accessories, parts, and services that I give to him than what he would have made off of the original purchase.