Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Coppers were out of line and over the top. That rider did nothing that those of us who ride or have ridden motorcycles haven't done. Signals??? Who, even police, uses them anymore??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    That rider did nothing that those of us who ride or have ridden motorcycles haven't done. Signals??? Who, even police, uses them anymore??
    Brilliant statement. NOT.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Understanding - WHY ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I am a police supporter But I do question things. I don't want to just come down on one side automatically.

Well, there is nothing to disagree about it. I just say aggressive because there are so many officers for what is a routine traffic stop. It looks to me one even took the key out of the ignition. I am not even sure they are technically allowed to do that. The key is private property.
    " The key is private property " .... I suppose they could just have detained that person until they ( the police ) wrote up all the paperwork necessary for a search and seizure WARRANT to present to a Judge ... if a Judge was available .... if none were available, they can Legally detain you ( Him ) until one was available....But in truth the Police can do what's necessary to prevent someone from Fleeing / Escaping if they are acting UN-lawfully..... ....On the so many officers thing, there is safety in numbers ... People are much less likely to fight when confronted by overwhelming odds. The other officers were probably involved in the Chase also ( they appeared almost at the same time )... For all we know the CHASE started 10 seconds after the guy started his video .... Frankly there is way more we don't about this incident than what we do know..... I don't always side with the Police just because I was one .... in fact I'm probably MORE critical than you might be. I have gone through life with this thought .... Before you criticize, walk a mile in their shoes..... It has helped me to acquire " empathy " a much needed commodity in police life .......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-10-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Coppers were out of line and over the top. That rider did nothing that those of us who ride or have ridden motorcycles haven't done. Signals??? Who, even police, uses them anymore??
    Coppers were out of line and over the top? ......and you have made that decision based on seeing only one side of an edited tape? Give me trial by judge any time over a “jury of my peers”. At least the judge will listen to both prosecution and defence before making a call .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " The key is private property " ....
    So are bombs and drugs.

The "key" to the situation is whether or not they had probable cause to reasonably believe that their actions were necessary to prevent things from getting worse.

AND.....if they have reason to arrest you, they search outside your body.....INSIDE your body and inside any vehicle they impound too.

Just because it is "private property" does not somehow make it off limits during a legal arrest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Unless maybe it is a local policy, a LEO is not legally required to listen or pay attention to ANYTHING a person has to say before, during or after an arrest.....except maybe a request for medical treatment.

In my opinion, anybody who is uncooperative should be handcuffed, put in the squad and transported to jail or a ticket written....without the LEO engaging in any conversation more than legally required.

In most cases, you get what you deserve.
    Wow.. glad we don't live in the fascist police state of your dreams..... handcuffing someone over a traffic stop?

He wasn't being arrested, didn't even get a ticket.. which is VERY telling.

He has every legal right to ask exactly why he was pulled over. They also had no right to touch his bike without consent.

This was a pretty clear case of riding while black. If he broke traffic laws then why didn't they write him up.

I've been pulled over in Times Square for no reason at all other than being on bikes with some HD buds. Cop said they were checking for 'stolen bikes' and made us wait 30 minutes. We were chill with it, but no way would I allow them to handcuff me.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But Dan :
    You do tend to look pretty guilty!

*BING!*

I'd like to believe that race isn't an issue in this stop.
    We don't know the rest of the story, and my "Spydee Sense" is screaming that there's a whole more lot here.. .

Spyder Garage

Question Don't be a jerk...........

There is always more to the story. It's just soooooo much easier to be cooperative with a LEO. Yes sir / no sir. License , reg, insurance all up to date. Do what is asked and chances are you get a warning and off you go. Don't ask me how I know this.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Co-operating with them will NEVER hurt your chances of just getting a warning...
    (Don't ask...)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wow.. glad we don't live in the fascist police state of your dreams..... handcuffing someone over a traffic stop?
    Happens all the time. If the victim cops an attitude, threatens the police or presents a hazard to others the most likely response by the police will be to handcuff them and put them in the back seat of the patrol car.

He wasn't being arrested, didn't even get a ticket.. which is VERY telling.
    I didn't get that far as my video appeared to end early (and before the biker was released).

He has every legal right to ask exactly why he was pulled over. They also had no right to touch his bike without consent.
    Yes he does but the police do not have to answer his question and specifically before they get answers to the questions they ask. They didn't pull him over to start an argument.

And, in most states, I believe they have the right to search the vehicle if they suspect something fishy. Any biker considering his ride as part of his genitalia is asking for trouble. Best to go along with the cop's request then present the case to a judge if you feel your rights have been violated.

This was a pretty clear case of riding while black. If he broke traffic laws then why didn't they write him up.
    How are they to tell whether he was black or not. He was wearing both gloves, a jacket and helmet. Unless he was wearing sandals I can't think of another way to tell someone's skin color when following them.

I've been pulled over in Times Square for no reason at all other than being on bikes with some HD buds. Cop said they were checking for 'stolen bikes' and made us wait 30 minutes. We were chill with it, but no way would I allow them to handcuff me.
    How did you know the reason you were pulled over? Were you flying colors? Did the police have reason to suspect your bikes were stolen? Did a citizen make a complaint? Lots of information missing here.

If you presented a perceived threat to the officer(s) they have every right to place you in confinement for everyone's safety. Usually they will invite you into the patrol car to cool off but they are not obligated to treat you "nice" if you get in their face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Co-operating with them will NEVER hurt your chances of just getting a warning...
    (Don't ask...)
    Police officers are human, so I treat them with respect like I would any one else. I was stopped for having my car windows tinted too dark. I also had an expired tag on my Spyder once. I thanked them for pointing these things out and said I would rectify the situation. They let me go without even a warning.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

but no way would I allow them to handcuff me.
    Allow.......ALLOW ?????.....that kind of attitude can (and does) get people killed.

In any interaction with Law Enforcement, YOU are NOT in control; THEY ARE.
    Your parents should have taught you that; so should the schools.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I was stopped for having my car windows tinted too dark.
    That was the last traffic ticket that I got, I think about 20 years ago.

I wonder if me cutting the squad car off in the parking lot of Hardee's had anything to do with not getting a warning ???

Spyder Garage

but no way would I allow them to handcuff me.
    That's when I pull out the Pepper Spray.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSpyder View Post
    Happens all the time. If the victim cops an attitude, threatens the police or presents a hazard to others the most likely response by the police will be to handcuff them and put them in the back seat of the patrol car.

Any cop that that handcuffs you during a traffic stop for 'copping an attitude' is a horrible cop. That is not just cause for cuffing someone. If you're threatening that's a different thing. Been pulled over plenty of times, never been cuffed, nor would I consent to being cuffed unless I'm being arrested. They simply cannot do that. If they're going to arrest you then they need to ARREST you. It's against your rights to cuff and detain unless you are a threat. Copping an attitude generally doesn't meet the criteria of a threat.

Yes he does but the police do not have to answer his question and specifically before they get answers to the questions they ask. They didn't pull him over to start an argument.

You have it exactly BACKWARDS. You do not have to answer any questions the police ask. It is THEM who has to tell you why you were pulled over. If they ask you 'do you know why you were pulled over'.. do not answer it. If they ask you where you're going, how fast you were going, if you've had anything to drink, etc.... DO NOT ANSWER. Any good lawyer will tell you that.

And, in most states, I believe they have the right to search the vehicle if they suspect something fishy. Any biker considering his ride as part of his genitalia is asking for trouble. Best to go along with the cop's request then present the case to a judge if you feel your rights have been violated.

They must have probable cause to search you or your vehicle without a warrant. Ever heard of the 4th amendment? You should always refuse to be searched or to have your car searched. Tell them to get a warrant.

How are they to tell whether he was black or not. He was wearing both gloves, a jacket and helmet. Unless he was wearing sandals I can't think of another way to tell someone's skin color when following them.

He wasn't wearing a jacket, his arms were very exposed in short sleeves and you could easily tell he was black.

How did you know the reason you were pulled over? Were you flying colors? Did the police have reason to suspect your bikes were stolen? Did a citizen make a complaint? Lots of information missing here.

I knew the reason we were pulled over because I ASKED and the cop told me.

If you presented a perceived threat to the officer(s) they have every right to place you in confinement for everyone's safety. Usually they will invite you into the patrol car to cool off but they are not obligated to treat you "nice" if you get in their face.
    Threat is different than copping an attitude.....in this case the guy was no threat and the idea of cuffing him is outrageous.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Allow.......ALLOW ?????.....that kind of attitude can (and does) get people killed.

In any interaction with Law Enforcement, YOU are NOT in control; THEY ARE.
    Your parents should have taught you that; so should the schools.

Wow.. what a twisted world you live in. You might want to read up on the rights we have as citizens of this country.
    Being detained without just cause, cuffed, etc. is not okay.

If you're a threat that's a different thing.

And no.. the cops are not the ones in control. You have every bit as many rights as they do. You do not have to answer questions or give them any information other than your license and registration. Shocking that you don't know this. Talk to any lawyer and they'll tell you the same.

They can't just cuff and detain you for a freaking traffic violation. You would have to be perceived as a THREAT (the guy in the video wasn't). Simply not giving answers or 'copping an attitude' isn't reason enough to be cuffed.

The cops work for US. You should have been taught THAT in school... :-)

And as far as 'not allowing' a search or to be cuffed. What you do is continue to tell them that you do not consent to a search without a warrant. That unless you're being arrested and detained - ask if you are free to go.

You really should brush up on your rights.....
    Last edited by Firefly; 08-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Threat is different than copping an attitude.....in this case the guy was no threat and the idea of cuffing him is outrageous.
    Coping an attitude can be perceived as a threat depending upon circumstances. Remember, it isn't YOUR determination, it is HIS.

I always thought my eyes were pretty good but damned if I could determine his race if only his forearms were exposed and I was following some dozens of yards behind.

The police can search anything if they have probably cause. You defeated your own statement. A search warrant is needed only in certain circumstances.

You also defeated your own statement as to probably cause for pulling you over. If the cops suspected your bike (or your buddy's bike) were stolen fits that requirement.

From your description it appears to me you are a perfect candidate for getting yourself in trouble should you be stopped again. The easiest way to piss off a cop is to cite your rights to them.

And given the number of cops killed recently at ordinary stops I would not want to give any officer a reason to get trigger happy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't matter what you thought you were doing: it's what THEY think you're doing that matters...
    And yes: Attitude and Threat share too much commonality, for them to be careless during a traffic stop. How many Officers have been shot in the past several years?
    (TOO MANY! )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow.. what a twisted world you live in. You might want to read up on the rights we have as citizens of this country.
    Being detained without just cause, cuffed, etc. is not okay.
    Most of the "rights" that you are talking about are MYTHS.

The LEO makes the determination whether of not he thinks you are a threat........NOT YOU.

Your logic is twisted and dangerous.

I will not argue the subject.
    I hope your attitude doesn't get you killed someday.

Spyder Garage

Biker with an attitude problem. New York plate on police car?

Spyder Garage

How sad so many don't know their rights.......or what constitutes probable cause.

I do treat cops with respect when being pulled over, but I will NOT consent to a search without a warrant, nor will I offer up any information other than my license and registration. They might do a search anyway, but having it on record that you did NOT agree to be searched will favor you should you end up in court. Many of you don't seem to be up on recent cases or what your rights are. For example, in order to have probable cause to search your vehicle for drugs, it has been ruled that they cannot detain you and make you wait for sniffer dogs to arrive. If they already have them there that's different.

Amazing people will so easily just throw their rights out the window because a guy is wearing a badge.

The cops in the video didn't have squat and knew they were wrong... hence why he didn't get a ticket. The guy knew his rights and was 'standing his ground'.

Good reason to wear a camera...…
    This guy had them and he knew it.

Spyder Garage

Shades of Firefly and HDX Bones. Love it. Notice I only said shades. I miss those days.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Shades of Firefly and HDX Bones. Love it. Notice I only said shades. I miss those days.
    I miss those guys... it was so great to meet up in person and I knew despite our various disagreements that he was a good guy that would help out in a time of need.. if you remember my HD buds needed some tire help while on a trip.. and I checked the map and found we were within 10 miles of HDX's house. He came right out and helped us big time.

Spyder Garage

Here's a young man who knows his rights. Cop tries to trick him, profile him , and he refuses to be searched.....