Spyder Garage

Default Location of the valve stem....anyone ever move it?

Just a brain fart here, but has anyone ever considered poking a different hole in the rear wheel, on the opposite side of the wheel, and opposite of the current valve stem, and putting a new valve stem in? ( a second one essentially) It would make access to it much easier, and if located properly, should balance out. You'd of course have to leave the existing stem in place....Curious if anyone has done it...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Seems like that would be a lot of trouble to save a little trouble.

It would be easier to change the existing valve stem to one of the curved metal stems that they make for trucks. While you're at it, you might be able to turn it to the opposite side as well. Look in Pep Boys or Amazon, there's quite a large selection available: different curves, different lengths.

Easier still would be to get one of those kits that they sell for adding air to dually truck tires. You get the little 6" extension and screw it on to the existing valve stem. That part is easy even for my big uncoordinated fingers. Once it's on, you can easily measure the pressure and add air from outside the tire and sprocket area. Once you're done, unscrew the extension and put back the cap. For me, that is a lot easier than trying to fit my gauge down in there and squash the air hose onto the existing stem. And FAR easier in the sense that you don't have to remove the tire to make the change like your alternative and my first alternative.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOVING THE VALVE STEM - REAR

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Just a brain fart here, but has anyone ever considered poking a different hole in the rear wheel, on the opposite side of the wheel, and opposite of the current valve stem, and putting a new valve stem in? ( a second one essentially) It would make access to it much easier, and if located properly, should balance out. You'd of course have to leave the existing stem in place....Curious if anyone has done it...
    I did my first one ( move the stem to disc side of wheel ) back in 2010 for my 08 GS .... then again on my 2011 RSS in 2013 .... and now my 2014 RT has the new valve location ..... I would only recommend doing this if you are changing the rear TIRE .... all you do is drill the hole ( 2 inches in from the rim edge, this allows clearance for the stem and the tire machine - very important to do ) ...... the BEST metal valve is sold by KURVEYGIRL 87 degree's angle .... about $11.00 for two in a package...... I never had any kind of leakage .... makes it super easy to check PSI in the tire or add air. ...... and I don't balance my REAR wheels and the valve aligned with the tire DOT seems to be OK for the balance ......good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default H.D. VALVE TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I can see how this tool could be better on an MTC. wheel ..... but the issue is GETTING to the valve under the rear Sprocket .................And I have used that type of attachment valve , you lose quite a bit of AIR everytime you check the pressure .....jmho .......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-07-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not only is it on the wrong side--same side as the sprocket, my ingenious Tech mounted the rim so it is exactly behind one of the "spokes" to boot.

I guess that is why his "Career in Aviation" was cut short!

I like Jays solution but not sure I would leave it on due to wheel balance. OK probably for airing up. Jay could you expound on this a bit?

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Not only is it on the wrong side--same side as the sprocket, my ingenious Tech mounted the rim so it is exactly behind one of the "spokes" to boot.

I guess that is why his "Career in Aviation" was cut short!

I like Jays solution but not sure I would leave it on due to wheel balance. OK probably for airing up. Jay could you expound on this a bit?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

As you can see from the photo. my valve stem is midway between two wheel spokes. A technician who would not install the sprocket so the sprocket and wheel spokes are aligned is not a technician but a mere assembler.

I do not leave the extension on the wheel; I use it only when I need to add air. Unlike Mike, I find I lose little air when disconnecting the extension. I always recheck the pressure after removing the extension and as a rule, when I've added air and checked it with the extension still on the valve stem, leave a half pound or so more in so I'm on the money once the extension is off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayBros; 08-07-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try a 60 degree metal valve

Spyder Garage

G'day Mike

DO you by chance have any photo's of you valve location? Would like to see if this can be done by some-one down here.

Also, what did you do with the orginal valve stem.

Cheers and beers
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I did my first one ( move the stem to disc side of wheel ) back in 2010 for my 08 GS .... then again on my 2011 RSS in 2013 .... and now my 2014 RT has the new valve location ..... I would only recommend doing this if you are changing the rear TIRE .... all you do is drill the hole ( 2 inches in from the rim edge, this allows clearance for the stem and the tire machine - very important to do ) ...... the BEST metal valve is sold by KURVEYGIRL 87 degree's angle .... about $11.00 for two in a package...... I never had any kind of leakage .... makes it super easy to check PSI in the tire or add air. ...... and I don't balance my REAR wheels and the valve aligned with the tire DOT seems to be OK for the balance ......good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default VALVE MOVE PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    G'day Mike

DO you by chance have any photo's of you valve location? Would like to see if this can be done by some-one down here.

Also, what did you do with the orginal valve stem.

Cheers and beers
    Frank
    Sorry no ...... go to Her web site and look at the 87 degree metal MTC valve .... the install info has the hole size you need to drill ..... On the disc side of the wheel there is a noticeable deep line cut into the rim .... I measured 1.5 inches ( 38mm ) in ( towards the wheel center ) and drilled the center of the hole there.... I drilled a very small hole first then did the rest from the outside of the wheel with the larger bit.... As I stated earlier this should be done because the Hydraulic wheel machine arms are dam large and could hit it , if it were closer to the wheel edge ..... Mine have not been hit ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

As you can see from the photo. my valve stem is midway between two wheel spokes. A technician who would not install the sprocket so the sprocket and wheel spokes are aligned is not a technician but a mere assembler.

I do not leave the extension on the wheel; I use it only when I need to add air. Unlike Mike, I find I lose little air when disconnecting the extension. I always recheck the pressure after removing the extension and as a rule, when I've added air and checked it with the extension still on the valve stem, leave a half pound or so more in so I'm on the money once the extension is off.

Jay is doing exactly what I suggested. Remove the extension when you're done. You don't lose any more air than you do when unscrewing the pump itself. Of course it wouldn't work if the OEM stem was directly facing one of the spokes of the sprocket, but the dealer that sold the Spyder ought to fix that boneheaded mistake.

If you're going to change the tire anyway, changing the position of the valve stem or changing the angle of the valve stem makes sense. If not, it still seems like a lot of work to save a little work.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I work to stay limber enough that getting up and down of the floor is no bother. I routinely roll the bike so the valve stem is between 4 and 5 o'clock when looking at it from the left side. That gives me the best position to use my tire gauge as well as connect/disconnect the extension.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jay

jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick