Spyder Garage

Default Confused, not sure I have a problem here or not ........

Please excuse my ignorance, but ....

A few months ago my wife's F3 LTD started squealing, mainly when accelerating. It was enough to be disturbing for her so I brought it into the dealers shop and they said it was the belt tension out of adjustment. All seemed fine.

A week ago she got just a couple of chirps from the belt, not really a squeal ... yet ....

I started to do some research, bought a "cricket" tension meter, and started looking at the bike. I found the tension they set at the shop to be about 200# but the belt was tight against the flange on the sprocket. Very tight.

I adjusted the belt to 1mm clearance and set the tension to 180#. All seems to be well.

Unfortunately, I am somewhat anal about things so I started really looking at the whole belt system. I found the belt is tight against the left flange on the front sprocket.

Question is, is this a problem ???? I can not seem to find any info on the belt alignment in the front sprocket.

Also, if it is a problem, what can I do about it ???

Ideas ???

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but ....

A few months ago my wife's F3 LTD started squealing, mainly when accelerating. It was enough to be disturbing for her so I brought it into the dealers shop and they said it was the belt tension out of adjustment. All seemed fine.

A week ago she got just a couple of chirps from the belt, not really a squeal ... yet ....

I started to do some research, bought a "cricket" tension meter, and started looking at the bike. I found the tension they set at the shop to be about 200# but the belt was tight against the flange on the sprocket. Very tight.

I adjusted the belt to 1mm clearance and set the tension to 180#. All seems to be well.

Unfortunately, I am somewhat anal about things so I started really looking at the whole belt system. I found the belt is tight against the left flange on the front sprocket.

Question is, is this a problem ???? I can not seem to find any info on the belt alignment in the front sprocket.

Also, if it is a problem, what can I do about it ???

Ideas ???
    .. .... there have been a couple of reported cases of the engine not being perfectly aligned in the frame ...not many but a couple .... Folks don't seem to believe that the drive belt actually moves constantly on the rear sprocket ..... No BS I've seen the video's .... I know mine moves ...I have a 14 RT and way back 08 -09 spyders had the belt tension set waaaaay to high by BRP....engine shafts were being broken , so BRP lowered the tension .... this stopped that issue .... now the BRP tension is up again .... But I did what you did and set the KritKit for 160lbs on the ground ( who wants to lift their Spyder every time they check the Tension ...not me so I am at 160lbs ..... I also have ZERO belt vibes at any speed and I don't have any special tension device added ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I also see my belt move a little so I run mine dead center on the sprocket to maybe a little towards the flange, but no way tight on the flange. Do not know where it is on the motor sprocket as have no control there! Tim

Spyder Garage

Default thinking

I do think you are on the right track , as stated above , the belt seems to travel a bit , front pulley will be left and right of center travel , and seems like my 2012 r-t the rear pulley it is too the inside to flange , and I get a little vibration on my belt not to disturbing but I know it is there at highway speeds

Spyder Garage

I had very bad belt vibration, the dealer set it to 240 with my kirkit . I see all different belt specs on here ,what should it be ? 2018 RTL
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " 240 " .....that's almost ...3... times what mine is set at, and has been for over 4 years and 40,000+ miles............. Mike
    Is yours set at 80 ????

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 240 psi

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Is yours set at 80 ????
    .....Nope - major brain FART .... to say that I'm TERRIBLE in Math is an understatement ...... I've deleted the post ...... Mine is at 160lbs

Spyder Garage

So, let me see if I have this right...

As seen from the rear belt sprocket, when the belt is "centered up" on the rear sprocket, the belt can "walk" a bit, left to right. This is OK, as long as the belt is somewhat centered, but not "hard against" the left or right flange and is properly tensioned.

At the time the belt is centered up on the rear sprocket, it's fairly difficult to see what it looks like at the front sprocket, whether it's centered up there also (or not).

Also, there have been cases where the motor is not aligned on the frame such that the belt may never center up, and will always rub on one flange side or another. An Uncommon Problem, but not unheard of.

In addition to this, there is a somewhat common, and growing, concern regarding the front sprocket (another series of threads) that has been recently "patched" by application of a locking compound to the splines.

Do I have all this correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mebgardner View Post
    So, let me see if I have this right...

As seen from the rear belt sprocket, when the belt is "centered up" on the rear sprocket, the belt can "walk" a bit, left to right. This is OK, as long as the belt is somewhat centered, but not "hard against" the left or right flange and is properly tensioned.

At the time the belt is centered up on the rear sprocket, it's fairly difficult to see what it looks like at the front sprocket, whether it's centered up there also (or not).

Also, there have been cases where the motor is not aligned on the frame such that the belt may never center up, and will always rub on one flange side or another. An Uncommon Problem, but not unheard of.

In addition to this, there is a somewhat common, and growing, concern regarding the front sprocket (another series of threads) that has been recently "patched" by application of a locking compound to the splines.

Do I have all this correct?

I sure do appreciate the shaft drive on my F6B ....

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    I sure do appreciate the shaft drive on my F6B ....
    ... and my Super Tenere.

Spyder Garage

Hey megarner, centered is the alignment, the cricket will tell you the tension. Not critizing, just clarifing. Tim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tim1 View Post
    Hey megarner, centered is the alignment, the cricket will tell you the tension. Not critizing, just clarifing. Tim
    Thank You! Got It...