Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Brake failure so thinking of these brakes

So everyone says check your brake fluid. I did and topped it off with Motul Dot4. Still says it. Saw these pads for $19.99. Thought might as well change the brakes out. Bike might have 12k miles on it

https://www.amazon.com/2008-2012-Spy...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    So everyone says check your brake fluid. I did and topped it off with Motul Dot4. Still says it. Saw these pads for $19.99. Thought might as well change the brakes out. Bike might have 12k miles on it

Ok. Brakes looked fine. But a code came up when I went thru codes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should bleed them. Idk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I should bleed them. Idk
    Maybe you should find out what the code MEANS. Just maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe you should find out what the code MEANS. Just maybe.
    Well I topped off the brake fluid and couldn’t the code off

I checked the brake lights and they are fine

i checked the brakes and they still have life in them

so next thing I’m going to do is bleed the brakes and see what that gets me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BAD PLAN.

Taking a wild guess at fixing a problem often ends up leaving you worse off than when you started.

In this case, because of the ABS/STABILITY control system, extra procedures are needed when servicing the brake system (bleeding).
    I think I remember that a BUDS computer is required to do it right.

And I was trying to suggest that the code probably means something more than just "general brake failure" and knowing exactly what it is supposed to mean might save you a lot of time and money.

As a matter of fact, I found out the hard way that "riding the brake" just very lightly will bring up a trouble light when there really is nothing wrong......except with the rider.

Spyder Garage

Well I topped off the brake fluid and couldn’t the code off

I checked the brake lights and they are fine

i checked the brakes and they still have life in them

This might be a little late in the game & it might even be something you've already tried, but for what it's worth, if it isn't too late/you haven't tried it yet/for all those others who might be reading to try & sort their own similar issues..... did you take your Spyder for a ryde?? Yeah, I know, you definitely DO need to be careful doing that, maybe even stick to just ryding up & down your driveway a few times, but often when I've seen a brake warning code pop up after someone's changed the pads & gone on to make sure everything else is fine only to still have a brake warning pop up, it goes away after ryding it for a bit!!

Sometimes it's just taken a few yards of ryding & one application, sometimes it's taken almost a mile of gentle ryding &/or a few gentle brake applications during that ryde distance; but like I said, if the only thing done has been to change the pads & everything else checks out OK, going for a gentle ryde seems to be high on the list of things to do that just might work! So if you haven't done that yet, maybe you should give it a go?!? If you have, then hopefully this might help someone else!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PADS

I'm super FRUGAL ( ie Cheap ) ...... ever heard - you get what you pay for ....... BajaRon sells EBC Quality Brake Pads and they are a WELL KNOWN commodity. Maybe the best pads sold .... Do you want to take a chance the ones from Amazon aren't really all that good ..or worse poorly made and the pad comes off the backing plate . I know tires but not Brake pads ...but I know Ron and trust He is buying the best for your Spyder .....jmho .... Mike ...PS He is a Sponsor/ vendor on the Forum .....

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Brake warnings come from many places. The fluid is only one. Others include brake light switch, brake pressure, ryding the brakes, bulbs, brake pads are related to the low fluid. I do agree to got with the EBC pad from BajaRon.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default brakes

Had same problem. Bleed brakes changing all fluid at the same time. Air and water was in rear brake line. Pedal came back to original position and was solid. To remove brake warning I turned key on let it scroll through all messages,pressed down hard on brake pedal turned key off waited at least 30 seconds. turned key on and message was gone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm super FRUGAL ( ie Cheap ) ...... ever heard - you get what you pay for ....... BajaRon sells EBC Quality Brake Pads and they are a WELL KNOWN commodity. Maybe the best pads sold .... Do you want to take a chance the ones from Amazon aren't really all that good ..or worse poorly made and the pad comes off the backing plate . I know tires but not Brake pads ...but I know Ron and trust He is buying the best for your Spyder .....jmho .... Mike ...PS He is a Sponsor/ vendor on the Forum .....
    I started to post here a few times but deleted it. I just feel tacky posting less than positive things about another product that competes with what I sell. On the other hand, i feel an obligation to warn Spyder riders about a product if I have knowledge of it. Plus, you can take or leave what I say. It doesn't hurt my feelings either way.

Kevlar sounds cool! But this just means these are Organic pads similar to the OEM pads. But there can be different qualities and amounts of Kevlar in a brake pad. And like doctors, you don't know if you got a good one until it's too late! OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Bad pads can be replaced. Getting the wrong kidney removed... not so much.

I have had a few customers doing research call me and say; 'Why should I buy your pad set when I can get 3 sets of these for the same price?' In the beginning I couldn't say one way or the other because I had no experience with the Kevlar pads. In the cases where they purchased these pad sets I got another call awhile later asking to purchase a set of my pads. They said that these pads did not stop as well, faded easily, and wore out much more quickly than the OEM pads. Even though they were less expensive, they didn't want to have to do a brake service every time they turned around.

Will you have the same experience? I can't say. They are getting good reviews on Amazon. Reading the postings there it sounds like they are happy with them but have not ridden them much yet or not at all.

That's my 2 cents. My advise. Whether you get them from me or not, purchase the EBC Semi-Sintered (2008-2012) or the EBC Fully Sintered (2013-2018). They work very well and they last longer.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I started to post here a few times but deleted it. I just feel tacky posting less than positive things about another product that competes with what I sell. On the other hand, i feel an obligation to warn Spyder riders about a product if I have knowledge of it. Plus, you can take or leave what I say. It doesn't hurt my feelings either way.

Kevlar sounds cool! But this just means these are Organic pads similar to the OEM pads. But there can be different qualities and amounts of Kevlar in a brake pad. And like doctors, you don't know if you got a good one until it's too late! OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Bad pads can be replaced. Getting the wrong kidney removed... not so much.

I have had a few customers doing research call me and say; 'Why should I buy your pad set when I can get 3 sets of these for the same price?' In the beginning I couldn't say one way or the other because I had no experience with the Kevlar pads. In the cases where they purchased these pad sets I got another call awhile later asking to purchase a set of my pads. They said that these pads did not stop as well, faded easily, and wore out much more quickly than the OEM pads. Even though they were less expensive, they didn't want to have to do a brake service every time they turned around.

Will you have the same experience? I can't say. They are getting good reviews on Amazon. Reading the postings there it sounds like they are happy with them but have not ridden them much yet or not at all......Something else that's interesting about Amazon reviews .... I have made some ...the positive ones get posted the negative one - - not always ..... As to folks who really like the KEVLAR Pads , maybe they are comparing them to OEM pads they have used so haven't compared them to EBC !!! ... Like on the Forum with Tires .... I would bet most of the KENDA lovers have NEVER tried Car tires ...jmho ...Great product/s Ron ..... Mike

That's my 2 cents. My advise. Whether you get them from me or not, purchase the EBC Semi-Sintered (2008-2012) or the EBC Fully Sintered (2013-2018). They work very well and they last longer.
    See above in RED .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default breaks

have i told you how much i like mike.you paid $25.000 for your toy and you are trying to save$20.00 on a product that can save your life and save your bike.set up a pay pal account,text Ron and tell him what you want and about 3 days later they will show up on your door step.30,000 miles from now your brakes will still be working fine and you for got that they cost you an extra $20.Mike has the best advice and Ron has the best products as well as great service.while you are at it you might as well order a oil change kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    have i told you how much i like mike.you paid $25.000 for your toy and you are trying to save$20.00 on a product that can save your life and save your bike.set up a pay pal account,text Ron and tell him what you want and about 3 days later they will show up on your door step.30,000 miles from now your brakes will still be working fine and you for got that they cost you an extra $20.Mike has the best advice and Ron has the best products as well as great service.while you are at it you might as well order a oil change kit.
    Thank you for the kind words.

Just wanted to note that you do not need a Paypal account to use their service anymore. Used to be true. But Paypal now processes payments without having to open an account.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I put BajaRon's EBC fully sintered pads and rotors on my 2013 RTL and never looked back. Waaaayyyy better than OEM. And you can't ask for better customer service. You can bet that down the road when I need new brakes for my 2017 RTS, I'll be getting them from Ron.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 08-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Could be bad sensor

Had a similar continual issue on mine dealer did some OHM test found rear sensor had failed,
    replaced & back to smiles

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Had a similar continual issue on mine dealer did some OHM test found rear sensor had failed,
    replaced & back to smiles
    How much did that cost you?

Spyder Garage

Ok for $52.50 Seneca powersports will turn off the brake failure code of the problem has been fixed by me. If it hasn’t then of course they can’t turn the code warning off

Spyder Garage

How much did that cost you?
    ZERO$$$ was warranty Sorry for late answer

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

So I'm guessing this was never resolved?

I've been busy since 2016, 4 floods into my home (which isn't in a Flood Hazard, according to FEMA). Long story, but riding my 2012 RS just hasn't been a priority. Gave up on the house just "camping" in it now can't fix it fast enough to beat the next flood.... anyways, trying to get my Spyder inspected and new tags but dealing with Brake Failure message and like OP it's not the brake fluid level nor the brake pads and is occurring just shortly after starting the engine without me ever pressing the brake pedal or even sitting on the bike yet. How can it know how much pressure is in the system when the brake pedal hasn't even been pressed yet?

And my brakes, well they seem to work as well as ever the pedal is firm I cannot press it down to the 2nd click even when standing on it and the ABS works great on my dirt driveway (it's not dirt dirt, there's grass over it just hard packed ground under). I've removed my sensors beneath the brake fluid reservoir and it made no difference so I think i can say the fluid level isn't the problem Fluid has been DOT 4 from the start I believe that's what factory put in the 2012 models it's what the manual calls for. So... I'm stumped, can't get it inspected so cannot buy the ridiculously expensive license tags for it so it's a giant paperweight sitting under my car port.... lol!

Seriously to take it to a dealership I'd have to ride or or rent a trailer so I could then leave it there then get somebody to take me back or rent a trailer again just to go back and get it... it's the hassle as much as the cost to deal with a dealership I tell you. :-\

My pickup truck with almost 300K miles on it has never had a brake fluid change and never had a brake warning or code thrown.... why these Spyder's are so touchy about their brakes I will never know! And for like under $25 I have an ODB-II wireless dongle for my truck that lets me read the codes and all sensors and clear any fault codes logged... CanAm could stand to learn a thing or two from GM! Just saying!

- Michael