Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake failure so thinking of these brakes

So everyone says check your brake fluid. I did and topped it off with Motul Dot4. Still says it. Saw these pads for $19.99. Thought might as well change the brakes out. Bike might have 12k miles on it

https://www.amazon.com/2008-2012-Spy...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    So everyone says check your brake fluid. I did and topped it off with Motul Dot4. Still says it. Saw these pads for $19.99. Thought might as well change the brakes out. Bike might have 12k miles on it

Ok. Brakes looked fine. But a code came up when I went thru codes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should bleed them. Idk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PADS

I'm super FRUGAL ( ie Cheap ) ...... ever heard - you get what you pay for ....... BajaRon sells EBC Quality Brake Pads and they are a WELL KNOWN commodity. Maybe the best pads sold .... Do you want to take a chance the ones from Amazon aren't really all that good ..or worse poorly made and the pad comes off the backing plate . I know tires but not Brake pads ...but I know Ron and trust He is buying the best for your Spyder .....jmho .... Mike ...PS He is a Sponsor/ vendor on the Forum .....

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Brake warnings come from many places. The fluid is only one. Others include brake light switch, brake pressure, ryding the brakes, bulbs, brake pads are related to the low fluid. I do agree to got with the EBC pad from BajaRon.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default brakes

Had same problem. Bleed brakes changing all fluid at the same time. Air and water was in rear brake line. Pedal came back to original position and was solid. To remove brake warning I turned key on let it scroll through all messages,pressed down hard on brake pedal turned key off waited at least 30 seconds. turned key on and message was gone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm super FRUGAL ( ie Cheap ) ...... ever heard - you get what you pay for ....... BajaRon sells EBC Quality Brake Pads and they are a WELL KNOWN commodity. Maybe the best pads sold .... Do you want to take a chance the ones from Amazon aren't really all that good ..or worse poorly made and the pad comes off the backing plate . I know tires but not Brake pads ...but I know Ron and trust He is buying the best for your Spyder .....jmho .... Mike ...PS He is a Sponsor/ vendor on the Forum .....
    I started to post here a few times but deleted it. I just feel tacky posting less than positive things about another product that competes with what I sell. On the other hand, i feel an obligation to warn Spyder riders about a product if I have knowledge of it. Plus, you can take or leave what I say. It doesn't hurt my feelings either way.

Kevlar sounds cool! But this just means these are Organic pads similar to the OEM pads. But there can be different qualities and amounts of Kevlar in a brake pad. And like doctors, you don't know if you got a good one until it's too late! OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Bad pads can be replaced. Getting the wrong kidney removed... not so much.

I have had a few customers doing research call me and say; 'Why should I buy your pad set when I can get 3 sets of these for the same price?' In the beginning I couldn't say one way or the other because I had no experience with the Kevlar pads. In the cases where they purchased these pad sets I got another call awhile later asking to purchase a set of my pads. They said that these pads did not stop as well, faded easily, and wore out much more quickly than the OEM pads. Even though they were less expensive, they didn't want to have to do a brake service every time they turned around.

Will you have the same experience? I can't say. They are getting good reviews on Amazon. Reading the postings there it sounds like they are happy with them but have not ridden them much yet or not at all.

That's my 2 cents. My advise. Whether you get them from me or not, purchase the EBC Semi-Sintered (2008-2012) or the EBC Fully Sintered (2013-2018). They work very well and they last longer.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I started to post here a few times but deleted it. I just feel tacky posting less than positive things about another product that competes with what I sell. On the other hand, i feel an obligation to warn Spyder riders about a product if I have knowledge of it. Plus, you can take or leave what I say. It doesn't hurt my feelings either way.

Kevlar sounds cool! But this just means these are Organic pads similar to the OEM pads. But there can be different qualities and amounts of Kevlar in a brake pad. And like doctors, you don't know if you got a good one until it's too late! OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Bad pads can be replaced. Getting the wrong kidney removed... not so much.

I have had a few customers doing research call me and say; 'Why should I buy your pad set when I can get 3 sets of these for the same price?' In the beginning I couldn't say one way or the other because I had no experience with the Kevlar pads. In the cases where they purchased these pad sets I got another call awhile later asking to purchase a set of my pads. They said that these pads did not stop as well, faded easily, and wore out much more quickly than the OEM pads. Even though they were less expensive, they didn't want to have to do a brake service every time they turned around.

Will you have the same experience? I can't say. They are getting good reviews on Amazon. Reading the postings there it sounds like they are happy with them but have not ridden them much yet or not at all......Something else that's interesting about Amazon reviews .... I have made some ...the positive ones get posted the negative one - - not always ..... As to folks who really like the KEVLAR Pads , maybe they are comparing them to OEM pads they have used so haven't compared them to EBC !!! ... Like on the Forum with Tires .... I would bet most of the KENDA lovers have NEVER tried Car tires ...jmho ...Great product/s Ron ..... Mike

That's my 2 cents. My advise. Whether you get them from me or not, purchase the EBC Semi-Sintered (2008-2012) or the EBC Fully Sintered (2013-2018). They work very well and they last longer.
    See above in RED .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default breaks

have i told you how much i like mike.you paid $25.000 for your toy and you are trying to save$20.00 on a product that can save your life and save your bike.set up a pay pal account,text Ron and tell him what you want and about 3 days later they will show up on your door step.30,000 miles from now your brakes will still be working fine and you for got that they cost you an extra $20.Mike has the best advice and Ron has the best products as well as great service.while you are at it you might as well order a oil change kit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I should bleed them. Idk
    Maybe you should find out what the code MEANS. Just maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe you should find out what the code MEANS. Just maybe.
    Well I topped off the brake fluid and couldn’t the code off

I checked the brake lights and they are fine

i checked the brakes and they still have life in them

so next thing I’m going to do is bleed the brakes and see what that gets me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so next thing I’m going to do is bleed the brakes and see what that gets me

BAD PLAN.

Taking a wild guess at fixing a problem often ends up leaving you worse off than when you started.

In this case, because of the ABS/STABILITY control system, extra procedures are needed when servicing the brake system (bleeding).
    I think I remember that a BUDS computer is required to do it right.

And I was trying to suggest that the code probably means something more than just "general brake failure" and knowing exactly what it is supposed to mean might save you a lot of time and money.

As a matter of fact, I found out the hard way that "riding the brake" just very lightly will bring up a trouble light when there really is nothing wrong......except with the rider.

Spyder Garage

Just so that you know. We tried those Kevlar pads. They don't stop you anywhere near as good as the EBC pads that Ron sells. My wife had the kevlar pads on for a very short period of time because they were horrible.

If your brakes have never had the fluid changed, it would be a good idea to change it. The DOT4 brake fluid doesn't pick up water as much as the DOT3, but like anything else, it has a certain life span.
    Last edited by bscrive; 08-07-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BAD PLAN.

Taking a wild guess at fixing a problem often ends up leaving you worse off than when you started.

In this case, because of the ABS/STABILITY control system, extra procedures are needed when servicing the brake system (bleeding).
    I think I remember that a BUDS computer is required to do it right.

And I was trying to suggest that the code probably means something more than just "general brake failure" and knowing exactly what it is supposed to mean might save you a lot of time and money.

As a matter of fact, I found out the hard way that "riding the brake" just very lightly will bring up a trouble light when there really is nothing wrong......except with the rider.

well after looking at the brakes and adding brake fluid and checking all the lights then what elsewhere could it be? People say Goto the stealership and spend money for the BUDS system. The ones around here when you call they don’t know everything. So they are going to charge you $110 a hour and scratch their head and hopefully only do that for one hour. Bike rides fine but doesn’t stop as well as it should be. So it seems to me maybe the fluid in the brake lines

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes and B.U.D.S.

Glad to read that bleeding brakes takes more than the conventional ‘bleeding’. Spoke with my mechanic, and although he is independent now he IS BRP certified. Bleeding brakes without BUDS is only doing the job 1/2 way. Need to release the ‘guts’ to get the fluid to flow properly. Brake fliud is normally clear, once it is grey or no longer clear...change it!! Safe ridin, just sayin !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well after looking at the brakes and adding brake fluid and checking all the lights then what elsewhere could it be?
    It could be several things.

When you have ABS, the master cylinder does not operate the slaves directly.
    There are sensors and "actuators" for each wheel.

Based on inspection, if you actually NEED brake pads, then do them, but I think that probably won't solve your problem.
    And I am sure that the bleeding will not be as easy as you think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    have i told you how much i like mike.you paid $25.000 for your toy and you are trying to save$20.00 on a product that can save your life and save your bike.set up a pay pal account,text Ron and tell him what you want and about 3 days later they will show up on your door step.30,000 miles from now your brakes will still be working fine and you for got that they cost you an extra $20.Mike has the best advice and Ron has the best products as well as great service.while you are at it you might as well order a oil change kit.
    Thank you for the kind words.

Just wanted to note that you do not need a Paypal account to use their service anymore. Used to be true. But Paypal now processes payments without having to open an account.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Error code C1282 is a low pressure detected code.

First look for leaks, if there are none, it indicates either old contaminated brake fluid (most likely) or a failing master cylinder. (not likely but possible).

The brake system is supposed to be flushed and bleed every 2 years. This is the nanny complaining that it was not done.

Full system flush and bleed is in order here. Then reset the code while in BUDS and should be good to go.
    Yes, you need BUDS to do the full job and reset the code. If you are going to work on the bike, you need the tools or take it to some one that does.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Error code C1282 is a low pressure detected code.

First look for leaks, if there are none, it indicates either old contaminated brake fluid (most likely) or a failing master cylinder. (not likely but possible).

The brake system is supposed to be flushed and bleed every 2 years. This is the nanny complaining that it was not done.

Full system flush and bleed is in order here. Then reset the code while in BUDS and should be good to go.
    Yes, you need BUDS to do the full job and reset the code. If you are going to work on the bike, you need the tools or take it to some one that does.

when I looked at the fluid it was still clear in the reservoir. But idk the line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I put BajaRon's EBC fully sintered pads and rotors on my 2013 RTL and never looked back. Waaaayyyy better than OEM. And you can't ask for better customer service. You can bet that down the road when I need new brakes for my 2017 RTS, I'll be getting them from Ron.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 08-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

when I looked at the fluid it was still clear in the reservoir. But idk the line.
    The fluid in the reservoir is not the fluid that has been worked and heated. Besides, contaminated fluid can still be clear. Water is clear and brake fluid absorbs water over time and makes it compressible. Just because the fluid in the reservoir looks clean is not a reason to skip required maintenance. In this case, nanny has told you there IS a problem, just fix it and move on. Arguing with her will get you no where.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's looking at the line pressure when buds is hooked up. I haven't played to much attention to it either. But I beli very you have to be at a certain line pressure for it to reset?

Spyder Garage

Default brake pressure

I'm not sure if this will work for you but before I changed fluid and bled brakes this what my brake pedal was like.
    Push pedal down and listen for switch clicks the first one is for brake lights and the second click is for the pressure monitor.
    After flushing and bleeding I can now only get the switch for the lights to click. and the pedal is rock solid.
    My spyder is 2009 SE5
    Dave

Spyder Garage

ok. Checked all brakes. Front and back. THey looked great

checked fluid. It was full

bleed the back brakes. Was great. Didn’t need it

redjusted parking brake because it needed it and now it’s great

brake failure code is still there.

If if I have to goto the dealership and spend $112 for a one hour thing to clear a code then that’s just plain bull****

Spyder Garage

The best substitute for brains is ................... silence.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.