Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot question

Spyder Garage

I wear leather boots over the ankle when riding my spyder.

What does everyone wear over there boots when it is raining/or if they get caught in the rain when riding on there spyder?

I can not wear rubber boots( due to health issue).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    To protect your feet in the unlikely event you crash. If you're wearing sneakers and go skidding down the pavement with your legs doubled up under your body or trapped under your bike you might not have any feet left at the end. Wear boots and you'll still have healthy feet for the next crash! And don't think it can't happen. I dare say everyone on a m/c who was killed by not wearing a helmet also said it'll never happen to them.
    After reading this, I'm convinced. Gotta get me some boots. Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride with hiking boots that are waterproof. Mammut's, La Sportiva's and Oboz'. All are waterproof and I don't have to swap them when I want to walk around. The Oboz are thin enough to get under the shifter if you have a manual. There are hiking/skiing gaters that can be worn to protect the upper leg if you don't want to wear rain suits.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-08-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red Wing makes some nice boots with a composite toe. It's lighter than any of the other toe protection.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I wear the CruiserWorks side zip boots, I've had a pair of their short ones for over 15 years, had them resoled once and they're very comfortable riding or walking around.
    https://www.cruiserworks.com/Product...Zip-Boots.aspx
    Bob S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you, like me, have wide feet as in 3E, your selection of boots shrinks dramatically. For example, Bates boots linked to above, has no boots in 8 1/2 3E size. Neither does Red Wing nor Harley Davidson. In order to get a pull-on 8 1/2 EEE motorcycle boot I had to order custom made boots from West Coast Shoe Company. With custom size, expedited build, and shipping charges added the price tag came up to $900. But I'll never have to buy another pair of m/c boots; maybe not even if I ever crash they are so well made with thick leather!

Some companies advertise W width. That's equivalent to E, not EEE.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great advice, side zippers are almost a necessity for me cause I wear a 12-13 depending on fit, and semi wide. The milwaukees are ok but so heavy and not great if I ride to work or for a long ride day. Debating https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...terproof-boots

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roguesquad View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice, side zippers are almost a necessity for me cause I wear a 12-13 depending on fit, and semi wide. The milwaukees are ok but so heavy and not great if I ride to work or for a long ride day. Debating https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...terproof-boots
    Be careful that they don't also mean that the boot will be "air proof" as well. A good Goretex (or similar) lined boot will be quite pricey ... if you want waterproof.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was going to site that as well. If you have an accident at 60 mph you need all the protection you can get. Those Air Jordan's are not going to cut it. Sadly this is the attitude of many Spyder Ryders. I don't ryde with them very often, but we have one couple in our group that routinely ryde with flip-flops, and shorts! I don't like to ryde with them because I don't want to clean up the mess!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 08-16-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    Be careful that they don't also mean that the boot will be "air proof" as well. A good Goretex (or similar) lined boot will be quite pricey ... if you want waterproof.
    Pricey is right, but my feet are very important to me, so the TCX Gortex boots that I wear are worth every penny!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I have several pairs of Bates and like them very much. Although not specifically motorcycle boots, their tactical line is excellent. They're well made, lightweight, comfortable and offer good support. They also don't make you look like you should be out in the forest chopping down trees.
    I’m with you, Arion. Bates are the only company I have found that make Goretex boots with laces for adjustability and a zipper for ease of access in Size 15 4xw.

Mind you, they only make one model, and it cost a lot to get them shipped to Oz, but they are worth it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bates Boots

Highly recommended!
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

So with all the bates recommendations was debating https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Ultra-L...9Y4&th=1&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roguesquad View Post
    So wanted to see what kind of boots folks recommend on the spyder. I have a pair of Milwaukee's, but they are so heavy and not all day comfortable. Wanted to get some preferably not super pricey recommendations.
    I purchased a pair of Black Maelstrom tactical 8" lace front and side zipper for riding off EBAY. They are water proof and very comfortable. Probably not the most trending Spyder riding boots, but for a very affordable $49 dollars I was very happy with the purchase...MD in SC

s-l225.jpg
    "Never choose Luck when Knowledge is your best option"

2009 RS SM5 Spyder
    Red & Black
    2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Tow Vehicle

Spyder Garage

Hmm now not sure if I want to get the bates or the maelstroms

Spyder Garage

Default Riding footwear

I have a pair of Skechers Men's Work Rockland Hooper SR. Very comfortable, easy on off, and an aggressive tread. When wet they dry quickly.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue