Spyder Garage

Default Advice on upgrade

I have a 2014 RTL with 34k trouble free miles. For those who have upgraded to a 2018 were the improvements worth the change?

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2014 RT. Mine is the S version. I have NOT upgraded as I do not think that the 2018 is that much "better" than the 2014. I just turned 31,000 miles and am still happy with it. The only big difference seems to be the new dashboard. Based on the "bugs," I am adopting a wait & see position.

I also have a feeling that the RT as we know it is heading for the chopping block before to long. It has been around for eight years now and the F3's seem to be outselling the RT configuration.

Will there be a new updated RT or will it arise as something "new to be coming our way?"

I am not jumping in on the "trade up" parade. Those discontinued models usually take a hit on resale and trade issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT that I am just plain thrilled with. In a couple of years, If I can find a New 2018 RT, I will buy one, if not, I will keep my 13.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL with 34k trouble free miles. For those who have upgraded to a 2018 were the improvements worth the change?
    If your RTL is not giving you trouble, why would you upgrade? Different model perhaps? Otherwise, don't.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 06:50 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UPGRADE

Personally what BRP did with " new & improved " gauge cluster would deter me from buying another one except a 2017 ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Personally, I would love to see the ST line revived with the 1330 engines and 6-speed...short of that, it may be a longtime before I upgrade.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have similar thoughts about upgrading. We have a 2014 RT Limited with 50,000 trouble free miles. Engine/transmission is awesome as you know. (we had a 2012 RT Limited and upgraded immediately to the 1330 cc engine when it came out - great move).

This bike runs great and within our group we have people with over 80,000 trouble free miles (which happens to be a 2015 RT Special Edition). Many have mileage of over 50,000 miles.

Only thing is personal preference on model you want, i.e. RT, F3, etc.

I am staying with our 2014 RT Limited until I can justify upgrading....good luck with your decision
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Unless you are a teck type person stay away from the new dash .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Since my ‘14 has only 46K on the clock, runs like a jeweled watch and is paid for I see no reason to upgrade.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Opinions.....

I agree with the wait and see crowd.... you have a good machine with low mileage and the only thing new is that cluster which to me is a fun parking lot game. JMO but that many controls with so many features on a small screen is distracting and on an open wheel machine reaction time is critical. But I'm old fashion and would be happy with a tech and a Speedo and the Speedo would be optional...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Having just returned to the Spyder community with the purchase of an '18 RTL I would agree with all the previous posts. I have the new dash, and wish I'd been able to get the older dash. Loved my 2010 RT, and the Ace engine is a tremendous improvement, but BRP can keep this dash, I'm not impressed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Personally what BRP did with " new & improved " gauge cluster would deter me from buying another one except a 2017 ..... jmho .... Mike
    Exactly why I scored a nice leftover 2017. They addressed all of my gripes with my 2014. It is just plain sweet.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

If they could make the F3's adjustable controls onto the RT and/or make the F3's front end look less like a fish mouth I'd be all over that. Way more comfortable on an F3 than I am on my 17 RT-S, but I hate the looks of the F3. That's what I'll be waiting for. The RT looks sharp and mean from the front, the F3 looks like smiling goldfish. Not for me, but I do love how you sit IN the F3 not ON it like the RT. I love my RT but I wish it were more adjustable without spending $650 and 5 hours labor on the tri-axis handlebars.

Spyder Garage

Everyone keeps badmouthing the new LED dash, I have learned how to use it and i think it is pretty cool, don't let the badmouthing of the new dash keep you away from a cool new ride

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with almost all of the posts. I love my 2014. It's been trouble free. I see no need it trading up. It's paid for!!!
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say, wait until the 19s come out. Most vehicles that come out with new technology like the new dash, usually improve by the second model year, so we may find that BRP makes huge advancements in 19. Plus at that point people will be discounting the 18s and you will get a better dea!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Unless you are a teck type person stay away from the new dash .
    The new dash is not the problem ( I have a 2018 RTL). The problem is the third party app integration. I use the new dash for looking at music, sometimes the weather and the upgraded stats screen. I have even connected my Sena 20sEvo to the dash and the phone. When I look at the phone I just select which one I would like to use (BRP Connect or Sena) and it just works. I have found that if you just connect to the Dash you do not have to select which to use on the phone. For GPS I installed a Garmin 595LM and have had no issues with that. I connect the Garmin as a second phone on the 20s and it gives voice guidance and when it is done talking the music from the dash comes back on. Using the Garmin allows me to still map out routes on my Mac and put them on the GPS to use. This is just what I have done and may not be the solution for everyone.

Some people like to hold onto thing and some do not.. I upgraded and it was worth it for me.
    Last edited by maxxheadroom; 08-11-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

+1 for staying with a paid off 2014 with trouble-free miles!!! Completely happy with my Spyder and not even interested in trading it in.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Personally, I would love to see the ST line revived with the 1330 engines and 6-speed...short of that, it may be a longtime before I upgrade.
    & just under 50 k miles on mine, not even gonna consider till least 100k. The ST line was cut short too soon

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wrecked my 2014 RTL (tears) and the dealer had both '17s and 18s. I bought Mr. White (2017 RTS) took the Garmin off the wreck and saved +/- $6,000. I was gun shy about the 18 due to comments here and the 17 suits me fine. It run like a hose and will be my last Spyder. It will last until I quit riding...will be 86 in two weeks and it should last me another 5-10 years....ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Mr.White

God bless you sir. Am 77 and looking to get a Spyder. I haven't been able to test drive one because I only have a permit for a trike. Am on a waiting list to take a driving course that will let me be certified for the trike license, that's NJ for you.

Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    God bless you sir. Am 77 and looking to get a Spyder. I haven't been able to test drive one because I only have a permit for a trike. Am on a waiting list to take a driving course that will let me be certified for the trike license, that's NJ for you.

Joe
    Good for you Joe. I though a Spyder was a trike. In TX you have to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license but I don't think you have to get another endorsement for a trike. I hope not, as I triked my Gold Wing in 2005 and been riding trikes ever since.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went from a 2014, to a 2018
    (Both were RT-Ls)
    They were two of the best bikes, that I ever have owned!
    Was it worth it?
    Nobody can answer that one for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I figure I’ll wait another couple of years before upgrading. By that time they will probably have a drive shaft and something other than that new digital dashboard. Who knows, maybe a bigger motor too! Just hoping!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!