Spyder Garage

Default Need advice please

Hello everyone!

I am so excited to find this forum! I am a female rider, 4'10 and 135 lbs. I recently took the motorcycle training and did not complete the course. I just didn't feel safe on two wheels. I have signed up for the Spyder training at the end of August and am very excited! I am hoping this will be a way that I can ride with my husband on my own ride.

My question to you all...which Spyder, considering my size would be the easiest to ride? Any other thoughts that you care to share would be great!

Beth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sure most will advise to go to a dealer and sit on the different models. I have not but think most sit about the same. Little difference I think. Go sit and see. There are custom seat manufactures out there if needed. Good luck.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default I think an F-3 would probably work the best for you

You sit down in it and should have a better fit for someone your size. Just my opinion here. Welcome to the club ..!!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Yes, what they both have stated. The F3 certainly has more "out of the box" adjustability. The RT's can have the Tri-Axis bars installed to make the handlebars reach more appropriate, but the seat to floorboard/brake lever is barely adjustable (a possible thinner seat to lower that distance).
    But you have to be comfortable on whichever model you do ultimately choose.
    So, OFF to the dealer with you, (or maybe you have some local Spyder riders who might visit and let you try sitting on theirs and all.)
    IF you do go to a dealer, ask them if they have any of the F3's UFIT components for shorter riders and would they set a spyder up with them.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got a perfectly good RT-L got sale...
    Here's my Missus sitting on it, and she's just 5'

03-01-2018 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Also recommend a "test sit" to see what is best for you. The F3 has more adjustments for the driver. I say that even though I am an RT person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Actually I think the RT and the F3 sit and ride very differently and I agree that the most adjust ability is in the F3 platform. That is why you need to go see them and sit on them both without any preconceived ideas. And if you can ride them both or have somebody take you on them. This a very personal decision and a lot of money. Welcome to the Spyder world. It is a great ride and a great way to get into motorcycles.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 08-03-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith88 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am so excited to find this forum! I am a female rider, 4'10 and 135 lbs. I recently took the motorcycle training and did not complete the course. I just didn't feel safe on two wheels. I have signed up for the Spyder training at the end of August and am very excited! I am hoping this will be a way that I can ride with my husband on my own ride.

My question to you all...which Spyder, considering my size would be the easiest to ride? Any other thoughts that you care to share would be great!

Beth
    ..... A lot could depend on your finances .... I think the a Spyder with the 1330 engine is best .... and because of your size ( ) .... Any F-3 could probably be set-up for your body dimensions .... If you would be a used one ( from 2015 ) the cost wouldn't be too much ( I don't think ) .... otherwise any GS - RS - ST could easily be tailored to fit .... Dog Bone handlebar risers make the steering waaaaaay more comfortable ... they are about $75.00 and fairly easy to put on ........ good hunting .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .Dog Bone handlebar risers make the steering waaaaaay more comfortable ... they are about $75.00 and fairly easy to put on Mike
    Will dogbone risers work with and F3-T with a LaMonster telephone holder?

I hate to sound dense, but I am not getting it. I have four screws holding my handlebars in place, and only see two screws on every riser I see.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I sat on both bikes and ended up buying the RTS because of the comfort. It was a mistake. After driven the F3, there is no comparison. RT's are very comfortable. You can't beat that. F3 is more fun. Has more customization options and can fit and/or be adjusted to any person size. It also feels sportier. RT=Cadillac. F3=Corvette.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    I sat on both bikes and ended up buying the RTS because of the comfort. It was a mistake. After driven the F3, there is no comparison. RT's are very comfortable. You can't beat that. F3 is more fun. Has more customization options and can fit and/or be adjusted to any person size. It also feels sportier. RT=Cadillac. F3=Corvette.
    Nice comparison! Spot on!
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

The only way to know which is right for you is to ride them.see how you feel on them .make sure it's right for you.i have a bad knee though a spider would work for me but my knee gives me trouble when riding.trying to sell it for a lot less than I paid 4 months ago no luck selling

Spyder Garage

Default "Need Advice"

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith88 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Beth
    I'm fighting lymphedema and metastatic unknown primary cancer, but I and the wife own a 2012 Can Am Spyder RTS. Whatever model you decide on, will always be a matter of personal choice. What do you intend doing with the machine? Short rides, rides across the state, or the country? Do you want something with a significant amount of storage capacity, such as the RT offers, or are you more interested in sporty performance? This summer has been "overly warm", in the upper 90's and low 100's, so the Spyder has remained connected to the battery tender, under a protective cover. Neither the wife and I are much into hot weather riding. Once you obtain your license, it might be best if you can find a dealer offering demo rides, so then you'll have a better idea of what most suits, you.