Spyder Garage

Default removibg rear caliper

Good evening, I am trying to drop the rear caliper on my 2014 RT LTD. It is only 2 bolts and I can get to the rear one easy. The front one is behind the exhaust and I can only get on it with a knuckle on my ratchet with a 16mm socket. It's hard to get leverage that way. The videos I watched show a straight shot to get to it. All I think I need to remove is the 2 bolts and it should drop. I want to ck my pads and blow them out. I thought about dropping the exhaust. It looks like 3 bolts to do this but I was wondering if this would be smart to do, would I need new gaskets or anything else? Did my 1st oil change today. It was pretty easy and no leaks so far. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default I dont remember dropping the exhaust to get to that caliper bolt

Hey WH, When I replaced the rear pads on my 15 RT, seems I just jacked up the rear of the frame a little, and that gave clearance once the

muffler was high enough to get a straight shot at the caliper bolts. Dont recall a problem then except remember to grab the little wire clip off of the

pin that holds the pads in before you back out the pin, or you'll bugger up the pin and clip a little....

With the pads out you should be able to clean and inspect with a pan and some soapy water and a bristle brush to clean up the piston rubber, etc. Just DONT step on the brake while the caliper is out or you'll have a little more work getting it back retracted..
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 08-02-2018 at 01:51 AM.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Yes, save yourself a lot of trouble and just jack the rear of the Spyder up. The swing arm will drop and give you that straight shot that you are looking for.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, so I jack it up right under the shock bolt, right? There has been conflicting ideas on the forum whether you shoul lift from there. Thanks, Mike.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Thanks, so I jack it up right under the shock bolt, right? There has been conflicting ideas on the forum whether you shoul lift from there. Thanks, Mike.

No, you jack it up at the tail of the frame. Do not jack at the shock bolt. When you bend that bolt its a BITCH to get out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No, you jack it up at the tail of the frame. Do not jack at the shock bolt. When you bend that bolt its a BITCH to get out.
    By the tail of the frame do you mean by the springs for the exhaust right? Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

The frame is the black rectangular section down the middle. Ends just ahead of the primary muffler.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The frame is the black rectangular section down the middle. Ends just ahead of the primary muffler.
    Thanks, I did put her on the lift but did not ck the bolts before I put my stands under the tires and lowered her down onto the stands. Without the stands under the tires I can get to the bolt fine. I was just wary of messing with the bike before I had her on the stands. Solution was right in front of my eyes, I just was not seeing it. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I know it has been said. But it is VERY IMPORTANT NOT to jack at the rear shock bolt. Very tempting, I know. But DON'T DO IT!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, I had her up and got on the bolt okay just to see, not enuf time today to go further. Man those bolts are tight, gonna get a 6 sides socket so I dn strip them.
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, I had her up and got on the bolt okay just to see, not enuf time today to go further. Man those bolts are tight, gonna get a 6 sides socket so I dn strip them.
    Very good idea. Get a set of impact sockets at Harbor Freight, or similar. They will save you some heartache. You can also use an air or electric impact wrench to get them off if you have one. Just be sure to install them by hand and not with a power tool. Same with wheel lug nuts. Taking them off with an impact is fine. But install and torque them evenly by hand.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of them may have a washer between the caliper and swing arm. Watch for it so you can put it back if it is there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

should/do I have to remove the parking brake to remove the caliper?
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I am also trying to remove the caliper. Are these the two bolts needs to removed? Caliper2.jpg
    I am trying to replace the rear tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I am also trying to remove the caliper. Are these the two bolts needs to removed? Caliper2.jpg
    I am trying to replace the rear tire.
    yes mine are 5/8 or 16mm i'm looking for a 6pt socket so I dn strip them, they are very tight
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

should/do I have to remove the parking brake to remove the caliper?
    No.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)