Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake theory

I have a theory about the rear brake grinding noise. After ryding the Spyder and parking it, applying the parking brake against the hot rotor makes it cool down unevenly, eventually warping it and creating the rotational grinding/squeal.

In open track driving school at Laguna Seca, they taught us not to apply the parking brake after coming in from a run on the track because it would warp the rear rotors. Assuming this is true for car disc brakes, it seems possible it applies to the Spyder too.

Anyway, when I park now, on a level surface, I only set the parking brake to the very first click, so the beeper doesn't sound when I turn off the key. Then as soon as the beeper timer expires in a few minutes, I release the brake altogether.

It may not make a bit of difference, but I feel better doing this, don't know what else to try. This won't erase the damage already done, but might slow down making it worse.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great post,your on to something.

Spyder Garage

I rarely use the parking brake - just leave it in gear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I rarely use the parking brake - just leave it in gear.
    if u have an se5...u HAVE to engage the brake when on a hill, because the clutch disengages allowing it to roll

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post

Anyway, when I park now, on a level surface, I only set the parking brake to the very first click, so the beeper doesn't sound when I turn off the key. Then as soon as the beeper timer expires in a few minutes, I release the brake altogether.
    Beeper? I rarely use my parking brake and I've never heard any beeps when I turn off the key. Am I missing something?

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

SE5's only.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    SE5's only.
    Ah... Thank you.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    I have a theory about the rear brake grinding noise. After ryding the Spyder and parking it, applying the parking brake against the hot rotor makes it cool down unevenly, eventually warping it and creating the rotational grinding/squeal.

In open track driving school at Laguna Seca, they taught us not to apply the parking brake after coming in from a run on the track because it would warp the rear rotors. Assuming this is true for car disc brakes, it seems possible it applies to the Spyder too.

It may not make a bit of difference, but I feel better doing this, don't know what else to try. This won't erase the damage already done, but might slow down making it worse.
    I've thought about that myself, so I've checked the rotor occasionally after going for a ride. So far it's only been warm to the touch. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you've done some severe braking just before the end of your ride.

Spyder Garage

I think your onto somthing, but I think its more to do with not using the park brake at all. As I have an SM5 I tend to just leave it first gear most of the time when its parked and don't get any brakes squeels or squeaks. BUT if I do use the park brake, sure enough the squeaks and squeels start to return. I think its got somthing to do with the brake pads sticking and not moving away from the rotor when the park brake is used.
    Andrew Gaze
    2008 Full Moon SM5 PE#979

I am one very happy owner