Spyder Garage

Default Garage door opener issues

I put a Mo-door garage door opener on my wifes 2018 F3 Limited. The issue I am having is after I open or close the door and then the spyders radio comes on the garage door opener actuates on its own (ie I originally close the door and when the radio comes on the door opens)? Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 2014 Genie garage door opener

John

Spyder Garage

Default Spooky....

Not familiar with the items used but do have to say that is spooky... I did have a garage door that would open when certain planes flew over the house...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Not familiar with the items used but do have to say that is spooky... I did have a garage door that would open when certain planes flew over the house...
    Oh my...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another nail in the coffin of the '18 models.
    I REALLY feel sorry for you guys.

Is your remote on the Spyder hardwired or is it just a hand-held unit mounted somewhere ?

I think it will be a cold day in hell before BRP will be able or willing to help with that problem.

If you have your remote powered from the Spyder, you might have to switch to a battery powered "clicker".

Spyder Garage

You might be better off trying the Genie folks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a 17 F3 limited with a mo-door single door opener hooked up on the right side of my dash, the button opposite the Heated grips button. I haven’t had any problems with the radio Going on and the door opening. The only problemI sometimes have is when I turn my bars all the way to the right the bars sometimes hit the button. This was the first accessory I put on my bike, Mo-door made a great option. It has its own battery pack so it doesn’t need to be hard wired to the motorcycle battery. Call Mo-door, they will probably be able to help you out.

Spyder Garage

No problems here. I have one remote in the car and the other remote with the bike of the day. I used to have a car that the remote paired up with the electronics and the button was on the visor. Not on the current one though.

Bottom line: they open and shut the garage door when I want them to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Is your remote on the Spyder hardwired or is it just a hand-held unit mounted somewhere ?

I think it will be a cold day in hell before BRP will be able or willing to help with that problem.

If you have your remote powered from the Spyder, you might have to switch to a battery powered "clicker".
    So, the OP didn't have anything bad to say about hos 2018 Spyder, said he installed the Mo-door opener and is having problems with it, and that somehow is a nail in the 2018 Spyder coffin and BRP should help with it!

The Mo-door opener is a stand alone garage door opener that is added to a bike and has a switch that activates it. You can use a factory style switch as shown here, http://www.mo-door.com/Can-Am_Spyder_Toggle_Switch.html
    or one of their other style switches.

If it didn't do it before the Mo-door opener was installed, then I would think it was an issue with Mo-door. My understanding of the Mo-door opener is it is easily removed from the bike, remove or disable it and see if the radio activates the opener. If it does not, then the Mo-door would be the issue and I would contact them. If the door is activated by the radio when the Mo-door is removed, I would then contact BRP.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    So, the OP didn't have anything bad to say about hos 2018 Spyder, said he installed the Mo-door opener and is having problems with it, and that somehow is a nail in the 2018 Spyder coffin and BRP should help with it!
    Yes. The problem ONLY occurs when he powers up something ON THE SPYDER.
    How/why would you think that the Spyder is NOT somehow involved in that problem ???

Without the Spyder in the picture, the door opener works fine......presumably.
    Your logic is flawed.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default east rider

why are you a hater

Spyder Garage

Yes. The problem ONLY occurs when he powers up something ON THE SPYDER.
    How/why would you think that the Spyder is NOT somehow involved in that problem ???

Without the Spyder in the picture, the door opener works fine......presumably.
    Your logic is flawed.
    No I read the entire post. It only happens when the radio is turned on and the Mo-door is on the Spyder. You are assuming that it all works well when it is not installed on the Spyder, and you know what happens when you assume!
    Yes the Spyder is involved by the fact that it is there, however it does not mean that Spyder has a malfunction or problem, it could be the Mo-door that has a problem.
    If the same thing happens without the Mo-door present, then it would be the Spyder. If he mounts any other remote he has in the same spot and it does not activate when the radio is on, it is the Mo-door with the problem. If the radio activates the door with his other remotes present, then the Spyder is the problem.

I just believe in doing my due diligence on research before I blame a problem on someone or something.

Spyder Garage

Revren Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread or cause an argument, just want to see if the problem can be narrowed down instead of jumping to conclusions.

Spyder Garage

This guy has the right idea:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    No I read the entire post.

If the same thing happens without the Mo-door present, then it would be the Spyder.
    But apparently you didn't understand it.

I'm pretty sure that it is next to impossible for the garage door to activate when the Spyder radio is turned on.......without the remote being present somewhere close by.

I quit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstella101 View Post
    I have a 17 F3 limited with a mo-door single door opener hooked up on the right side of my dash, the button opposite the Heated grips button. I haven’t had any problems with the radio Going on and the door opening. The only problemI sometimes have is when I turn my bars all the way to the right the bars sometimes hit the button. This was the first accessory I put on my bike, Mo-door made a great option. It has its own battery pack so it doesn’t need to be hard wired to the motorcycle battery. Call Mo-door, they will probably be able to help you out.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH (yes I know that was yelling). You found our problem. Apparently at the spot in and out of the garage the bars were turned full right causing the bars to hit the button ......and at the exact same time the radio came on or was shutting off which had nothing to do with the issue. Not sure if there is anything that can be done due to the button placement other than keeping an eye on the door when leaving to ensure it stays closed.

On a side note, my wife LOVES her 2018, and has no issues to date.

John

Spyder Garage

Default more f3's should have this!

After having my 13 St-s(which I loved) for four 1/2 years and having to fudge around in my pockets for the door opener , as soon as I saw the Mo-Door It was the 1st farkle on my F3! Easy install, its own power source- what could be better. Check out slingmod.com or Revzilla.com to buy. You won't be dissapointed. Wow there were a couple of keyboard tangents going on there for a bit. Life is short -Lets Ride!!!

Spyder Garage

By the way Revrent, where did u put the battery pack- put mine under the left side info panel- also outlining it with a paint marker- the right panel by oil level checker just seemed a little tight.

Spyder Garage

Why don't you put a extra door opener in your glove box? Works for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ijon1 View Post
    Why don't you put a extra door opener in your glove box? Works for me.
    Cost: $0, because I already had an extra remote.
    Power: It has it's own built-in battery.
    Time to install: About 10 seconds. Mine is actually clipped to the top of the dash overhang by shoving the attached bracket inside the "safety card" slot.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I know this sounds crazy but....

I have a Lift Master opener on my garage door, I got an extra opener
    and opened it up to expose the printed circuit board, using a test light
    from Auto Zone I found the 2 points on it that are connected to the button,
    I soldered wires to those points and ran them to a button I installed in my dash
    I put the opener under the plastic behind the dash... mine is an older RS.
    now all I do is push that button and the door opens I have only had to change the
    9 volt battery one time in about 4 years. Total cost 2 wires and a push button from
    Auro Zone.

Spyder Garage

I used the clinker that came with the opener. Soldered two small wires from the clicker to a small push button switch on the dash and keep the clicker on the glove box. Works everytimes. Just press the small switch on the dash.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

Re: I have a . . . opener on my garage door, I got an extra opener and opened it up to expose the printed circuit board, . . . I found the 2 points on it that are connected to the button, I soldered wires to those points and ran them to a button I installed in my dash I put the opener under the plastic behind the dash... mine is an older RS. now all I do is push that button and the door opens

This exactly what I did with my '08 GS. I did somewhat secure the opener with a couple of zip ties ( not real tight ) so it would not fall down onto anything below.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have a Lift Master opener on my garage door, I got an extra opener
    and opened it up to expose the printed circuit board, using a test light
    from Auto Zone I found the 2 points on it that are connected to the button,
    I soldered wires to those points and ran them to a button I installed in my dash
    I put the opener under the plastic behind the dash... mine is an older RS.
    now all I do is push that button and the door opens I have only had to change the
    9 volt battery one time in about 4 years. Total cost 2 wires and a push button from
    Auro Zone.
    I did the same thing using a 19mm Marine grade momentary switch. It's solid black and fits perfectly in the hole where the heated grip switch would go if I had that option on my F3-T. I velcroed the garage remote to the side of the tank under the side panel.
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.