Thread: DPS Error

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Error

The other night we were going to Deadwood for dinner and the Spyder sputtered and showed a DPS error, it went into limp mode. I was only a couple of miles from Deadwood and knew I could get help there so continued on. Shut the bike off and had dinner, came out an hour later and it started up and rode home with no more error message. A little info, it's a 2012 RT with 24,000 miles. I hadn't had it on the battery tender for about 5 days and the last time I rode it it kept dying at stop lights and one time would restart only to die again . I let it sit for 5 minutes and it started up and I rode it to a gas station, filled it with fresh gas and put injector cleaner in it. It ran fine all the way home. I bought it used 2 years ago and don't know any of the maintenance history. I'm going to do a load test on the battery. Any other things to check?
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thebattery is a good place to start. The DPS is a huge draw on the battery so if yours is not holding a charge a DPS error woukd be expected.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Make sure to have your dealer check for recalls. I know one person whose Spyder ran off the road and was totalled due to DPS failure. My wife's Spyder has just had it's 3rd DPS installed - $1700. 2010 RT. The steering never felt different, never went into limp mode, but we also parked it when the error popped up. The part itself is around $1200. I hope you have warranty. We didn't.

Spyder Garage

Default good `ol 2012 !

MMMMMMMM , now I have had my 2012 for lets see ----- since 9/2016 ---- so I am hoping that the cycle shop I purchased this one from did at least replaced the battery , ( they did not know too much about can-am spyders I do not think , so will watch closer now on battery ) no real problems at all for me as of this typing , but if they did not change the battery it might still be original ! almost 4 years old ! still doing great ....... knock on wood ! ( hey let me know what type cycle battery you end up with , a just in case on my end !

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll report what I find with the battery, but am pretty sure that's the culprit. It may be a couple of days until I can get to it. No warranty so hopefully it's just the battery.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I change out my batteries at four years, whether they need it or not. When a battery does crash, Murphy's Law kicks in. You will get stranded 100 miles from any help and probably need a tow.

So far I have avoided any battery issues. The 11 (purchased in 12) got replaced last summer. The 14 got a new battery a couple months ago.

I don't use a tender in between rides--one may sit for five days at a time--the tender goes on when I park them for the season. They spend the winter in a 50 degree heated garage. Here late Oct early Nov. Start up late Mar, early Apr. They usually start on the first try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Finally had enough time to take enough parts off to get to the battery to test it. My load tester says its weak, so now I'm shopping for a battery. Took it for a short ride today after being on the tender and no problems, but don't want to get stranded.
    Bob S