Spyder Garage

Default need help with BUDS2

Tried out my BUDS today. Not with good results.

Problem 1.
    Bought a key blank from the dealer about a month ago. Finally got around to getting it cut. I tried to add it to my Spyder. It appears not to able to read it's ID. The 2 original keys it reads them just fine. I am thinking maybe they sold me the wrong key.

new key buds.jpg

Problem 2
    Tried to flash the gauge to the new version 13.20. It seems to start working. The gauge cluster screen goes blank. The music stops playing. The laptop screen shows a progress bar. Then I get this error.

cluster flash.jpg

Any ideas folks.
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-26-2018 at 01:58 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Have you seen the warranty bulletin 2018-0004 it explains some items about updating to 13.20 such as using a USB cord not over seven feet also you must sign in as an administrator and not as a tech, also be sure to have a power supply attached because if the battery gets low it will screw up more than you can fix, that's all the help i can be.

Cruzr Joe

if it is any consolation our dealer messed with it for 2 hours before he called the computer dept. and found out that he had to be "unlocked" for the program to work, i don't know what "unlocked" means but once he was unlocked it worked fine
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

All I can add is moral support...good luck and I hope someone here has some solid experience with the BUDS system....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default probably admin

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Have you seen the warranty bulletin 2018-0004 it explains some items about updating to 13.20 such as using a USB cord not over seven feet also you must sign in as an administrator and not as a tech, also be sure to have a power supply attached because if the battery gets low it will screw up more than you can fix, that's all the help i can be.

Cruzr Joe

if it is any consolation our dealer messed with it for 2 hours before he called the computer dept. and found out that he had to be "unlocked" for the program to work, i don't know what "unlocked" means but once he was unlocked it worked fine
    if it is any consolation our dealer messed with it for 2 hours before he called the computer dept. and found out that he had to be "unlocked" for the program to work, i don't know what "unlocked" means but once he was unlocked it worked fine ( this is probably where the " administrator key come into play " computers are a pain in the rear for sure , ( wasn`t there some sort of learning devise these keys had to go through before using on bike ? insert the key , the program saw the key in the devise then you take it too the cycle too relearn ! ?

Spyder Garage

Default mmm buds

now at work , we down load software , using the computer at hand it goes threw network to home base { the work office } and then the down load begins , I am wondering if you have too link to B_R_P ( kind of manufacturer , looking at the history and keeping up with the history of one cycle that is being work with ? )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if it is any consolation our dealer messed with it for 2 hours before he called the computer dept. and found out that he had to be "unlocked" for the program to work, i don't know what "unlocked" means but once he was unlocked it worked fine ( this is probably where the " administrator key come into play " computers are a pain in the rear for sure , ( wasn`t there some sort of learning devise these keys had to go through before using on bike ? insert the key , the program saw the key in the devise then you take it too the cycle too relearn ! ?

That was the old way of programming new keys, that only works for older models. Newer models require BUDS2.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

BUDS2 sucks.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Will BUDS2 even allow updating a bike without a current and valid BOSSWEB connection to BRP? I am not yet fully versed in BUDS2. Still using the original BUDS for 08 thru 17 models.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree, BUDS2 is not user friendly. To solve your key problem, disable the DESS and the key should work. Chip no longer needed. To disable it, click on the anti theft box on the key page and deactivate it. Be sure to write the new setting to the ecm before exiting buds. Then try the key again. You wont even know the DESS is deactivated. Everything will function as normal. For the other problem, I have no idea.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 07-26-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe

Do have a copy of 2018-0004 you could post for me to read, thanks.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So I uninstalled BUDS 2. Reinstalled as administrator. Changed the windows parameters to always run as administrator. Still no difference. Looked for a administrator or tech mode in the BUDS 2 software itself and could not find any such setting. Everything else seems to work. So for now I am stumped. Thanks for the suggestions.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I have to agree, BUDS2 is not user friendly. To solve your key problem, disable the DESS and the key should work. Chip no longer needed. To disable it, click on the anti theft box on the key page and deactivate it. Be sure to write the new setting to the ecm before exiting buds. Then try the key again. You wont even know the DESS is deactivated. Everything will function as normal. For the other problem, I have no idea.
    I can't deactivate DESS. The licence level I bought does not allow it. The button is greyed out and does nothing when clicked.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Do have a copy of 2018-0004 you could post for me to read, thanks.

PM sent

Spyder Garage

I can't deactivate DESS. The licence level I bought does not allow it. The button is greyed out and does nothing when clicked.
    Buy a 30 day megatech licence. Many of the dealers will give you a 7 day trial licence for free.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

PM sent
    Thank you very much Joe. I think I know what is wrong. It is amazing what you can do when you read the instructions. I need another USB cable. One with an A connector on both ends. That will be an odd one to find.
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-28-2018 at 12:21 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Buy a 30 day megatech licence. Many of the dealers will give you a 7 day trial licence for free.
    I will have to do some research on other licence suppliers. My supplier a megatech licence 160 euros ($190 US) a year. Not that bad except does not help for BUDS2. For it I would need a Mechatronic Expert License at 400 euros ($470 US) a year. I am not spending that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much Joe. I think I know what is wrong. It is amazing what you can do when you read the instructions. I need another USB cable. One with an A connector on both ends. That will be an odd one to find.

Yes that USB cable is a must, probably find on online.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the issues with BUDS2. They sure do not make it easy, do they?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Anyone know if there is any connection with BRP when you are on BUDS2? I’d be curious if they collected error types for analysis. Would certainly be the easiest way to get the data.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Success. For the cluster anyway. Reflashed it to 13.20. Thanks to Cruzr Joe. The key here is this paragraph in the instructions. "NOTE: Both diagnostic cable and USB cable are required to do the update." Considering I was working without instructions. That was not obvious. Dropped by KW Surplus and they had the cable. I thought it would be harder to find. The only minor glitch was that Windows Defender stopped things thinking the program was doing something bad. Clicked on the shut up and go away button. Worked just fine.

My number one pet peeve is not fixed but a lot of other stuff looks fixed. So they are moving forward anyway. The following are what 13.20 was to address.

PROBLEM
    The following problems were communicated to
    BRP regarding the large panoramic 7.8" wide LCD
    display.
    – Bluetooth pairing
    – Fuel average consumption
    – Music could not be started in the Music App
    – Impossible to launch or exit apps
    – Volume adjustments when using the Genius
    Map app
    – Mute mode (volume OFF) not saved when
    power is OFF
    – Sound not stable when switching the audio
    source during an announcement
    – In Bluetooth connection, the music stops after
    selecting helmet as the audio output
    – Japan certification information.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Even though I am a pain in the ***, every once in a while i am good for something

Glad to see that i was helpful.

Cruzr Joe

Success. For the cluster anyway. Reflashed it to 13.20. Thanks to Cruzr Joe. The key here is this paragraph in the instructions. "NOTE: Both diagnostic cable and USB cable are required to do the update." Considering I was working without instructions. That was not obvious. Dropped by KW Surplus and they had the cable. I thought it would be harder to find. The only minor glitch was that Windows Defender stopped things thinking the program was doing something bad. Clicked on the shut up and go away button. Worked just fine.

My number one pet peeve is not fixed but a lot of other stuff looks fixed. So they are moving forward anyway. The following are what 13.20 was to address.

PROBLEM
    The following problems were communicated to
    BRP regarding the large panoramic 7.8" wide LCD
    display.
    – Bluetooth pairing
    – Fuel average consumption
    – Music could not be started in the Music App
    – Impossible to launch or exit apps
    – Volume adjustments when using the Genius
    Map app
    – Mute mode (volume OFF) not saved when
    power is OFF
    – Sound not stable when switching the audio
    source during an announcement
    – In Bluetooth connection, the music stops after
    selecting helmet as the audio output
    – Japan certification information.

Spyder Garage

So to update. I did get a key added. As I suspected. The dealer sold me the wrong key blank. They gave me another key to replace it. The right one this time. I had no trouble adding it to the list.

2018 F3 LIMITED