Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light with Orange Handelbars

2016 F3-T SE Limited bought used 3100 miles, out of warranty. Getting a check engine light (non flashing) with intermittent Flashing Orange Handlebars in the trip gauge area. Started last weekend but cleared after shutting down and removing key. Couldn't clear today. Owners manual shows one of the issues could be Dynamic Power Steering Malfunction. Any clue what this is and means?

Thanks in advance
    2016 F3-TSE , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the key on push Mode, Set and Turn Signal cancel buttins. If there is an active code it will be on the screen. Let us know what it shows.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Had already dropped off at dealer, but went back to check codes and also check and tighten battery terminal as I had installed a lamonster powerpoint. Only code P0000. No other. Still getting check engine intermittent handlebars. No other codes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That’s a strange one. The code P0000 is a nothing code. Let us know what the dealer finds. Good luck.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Well after 9 Days in shop, they hooked to computer and got a U0131 and stated that things weren't talking and was probably a loose connection somewhere. To find the issue they would have to remove a bunch of panels and could take lots of time. They said the bike was OK to ride so i picked it up so the wife could ride. Light came on when i was trying to beck the bike out of a tight spot and had to do a lot of lock to lock turns. I had also just installed a Lamonster USB power connection to handlebar wiring direct to the battery. I have double checked the battery connection. With all that said i have no problem removing some panels to chase loose wires, but would have no idea where to start and have no way to check the connection. Any thoughts ideas. I am reluctant to take back to same dealer, am luck enough to have other dealers in area.

Spyder Garage

Default don`t take back -----

hey inflatableman , before you take the cycle back too the shop --- strip the panels yourself ... { only if you can and have a good place to keep these set aside , will save you a good bit of time and money --- the shop guys rip through it and put it back together licketty spit fast , so they will charge what the time table tells them to charge / if they can get it apart in 35 minutes but the shop guild gives them 1 hour ---- they are going to give you 1 hour charge , do a lot of the work your self } by the way while I have you here , before you attached the add ons , did the cycle through warnings before ? { you might be getting a waring warning from one of these new items ? just a thought .... good luck with it my friend { oh it is f-3 .... what panels will they take off ? sorry I was thinking r-t }

Spyder Garage

Youngers;

thanks for the comeback. The check engine light and handlebars are intermittent. On the way home from dealership lights were still on. We stopped at the Indian Dealership on way home and when she restarted the lights we off. Rode today they were still off for two errand stops, they came back on third start up. At the 4th stop restart the lights stayed off. Like chasing a ghost. Hate to live with something like this but will try to chase the apparent loose wire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    With the key on push Mode, Set and Turn Signal cancel buttins. If there is an active code it will be on the screen. Let us know what it shows.
    Thanks SpyderAnn01 for the info on how to check for codes. I tried it and it displayed "No Active Fault Code" on my 2017 F3S.

Spyder Garage

I thought back in the day the orange handlebar meant a DPS error...

Spyder Garage

Well took unit to another dealership to review and diagnose. Came up that the DPS was bad and needed to be replaced. Ok with the diagnosis, dealer sent to my extended warranty company for authorization. Would think that a uber critical part would be covered. BUT now as I bought a powersport warranty from ROUTE 66 that doesn't spell out "Power Stearing"under stearing it's not covered. Now the fight begins. $1726.00 fight.

Spyder Garage

Default Ground connection?

This could be something as simple as a ground connection. I had similar problems and was told the engine
    is grounded at one place. A lot easier to check this than chase loose connections for hours,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Inflatableman View Post
    Well after 9 Days in shop, they hooked to computer and got a U0131 and stated that things weren't talking and was probably a loose connection somewhere. To find the issue they would have to remove a bunch of panels and could take lots of time. They said the bike was OK to ride so i picked it up so the wife could ride. Light came on when i was trying to beck the bike out of a tight spot and had to do a lot of lock to lock turns. I had also just installed a Lamonster USB power connection to handlebar wiring direct to the battery. I have double checked the battery connection. With all that said i have no problem removing some panels to chase loose wires, but would have no idea where to start and have no way to check the connection. Any thoughts ideas. I am reluctant to take back to same dealer, am luck enough to have other dealers in area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must have jinxed myself by commenting on this post. Today, about 50 miles from our destination for the night, I got the check engine light with the handlebars. I had code P0650 multifunction indicator lamp circuit malfunction. I had no power steering when I pulled up to pump gas. Shut the Spyder off and when I restarted it the code, check engine and handlebars were gone and power steering was working. We have a short day tomorrow so if it cones back I’ll have the SC dealer look at it.

Mine is still under factory warranty.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I must have jinxed myself by commenting on this post. Today, about 50 miles from our destination for the night, I got the check engine light with the handlebars. I had code P0650 multifunction indicator lamp circuit malfunction. I had no power steering when I pulled up to pump gas. Shut the Spyder off and when I restarted it the code, check engine and handlebars were gone and power steering was working. We have a short day tomorrow so if it cones back I’ll have the SC dealer look at it.

Mine is still under factory warranty.
    SpyderAnn; I too, hope that i didn't Jinx you. Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Buckeye Chuck 54 Yes I wish there was a way to confirm that , but the bike is at the "Premier Service Dealership in Central Florida" and i got to trust what they have diagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    This could be something as simple as a ground connection. I had similar problems and was told the engine
    is grounded at one place. A lot easier to check this than chase loose connections for hours,
    Chuck