Spyder Garage

Default To cover or not to cover...

Hi all, I am thinking about getting a 1/2 cover to use when I am on longer trips and leaving my Spyder outside overnight. Does anyone have any experience with covers and/or advice?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I always carry the half cover on trips and cover the bike at night. It protects the bike from the weather and also helps to keep curious people off the bike.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Blanket

tried the half cover that came with my spyder and at first thought this sucks.went a head and gave it a try worst case the cover would only end up in England somewhere.That night we got a it was blowin a gale,to my joy in the morning the cover was still on my spyder.The only thing i did wrong was to leave my windshield all the way down(up gives it a better fit)overall it serves it's purpose.I keep my spyder safely tucked in its web.
    2012 RT , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I’ve used a half cover for 7 years with never an issue. This is my 3rd spyder and the half cover was one of the 1st things I purchased for it. Keeps the seat from getting wet and hot from the sun. Does exactly what it’s intended to.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have/carry a 1/2 cover that I use on week-end trips. This cover has adjustable straps, to secure to the bike. Also it covers the headlights, back trunk, driver/passenger seat, windshield/ handlebars/ dashboard. It has it's own carry bag. I have also had this bag for 4 years. Also, still looks brand new. Quick installation/ and removal. It fits in the frunk, or in the side bags. It is a light weight, yet strong.

Also, I use a BRP full cover when the bike is not in use. It is made of a tough water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester.

This a 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection while trailering or outdoor storing. Includes integrated exhaust panel and protective flannel windshield liner. It has adjustable straps attached to the cover ( underneath) to keep the cover to the bike.

I have had the above cover for 4 years. I'm on my 2nd spyder with both of these covers.

My spyder is outside/and covered with the full cover when not riding.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-22-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Another Yes....

I use the half cover when on trips and it does a great job. I would only consider the full cover if the spyder were to be parked and not ryden for a longer period of time. So I don't have a full cover and keeps me ryding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have both covers.......

For the same reasons above, I have both BRP covers. Obviously BRP doesn't make their own covers because they are so well thought out and made with quality material. Haven't had one fail yet. Half cover for travel and full cover for storage. Great product and well worth the $$$$.

Spyder Garage

Default Another vote for a half cover

I commute with my Spyder, and don't have covered parking at work, so I use my UltraGard half-cover on a daily basis. Works great, easy to use, and doesn't take up too much space in the rear case.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for he input.

Ride safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got both covers from BRP.
    The full cover has been on the bike just three times.
    The travel cover is your best bet!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We always throw the full cover on when we're "out" and away from home. It only takes a minute and I think it probably helps deter the snoopers and the sitters
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Half cover when traveling and good old dollar store bed sheets when parked in the garage. Keeps the dust off and allows great airflow.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I use mine

I have a light weight 1/2 cover that I frequently use when traveling overnight. I was just in Deadwood and it helped keep my seat dryer from overnight rain and early morning dew. I tried using it when on my trailer, but too much flapping and wanting to come off.

I carry mine with me all of the time and I'm pleased I have it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Hi all, I am thinking about getting a 1/2 cover to use when I am on longer trips and leaving my Spyder outside overnight. Does anyone have any experience with covers and/or advice?

Thanks.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default my experience.... fwiw

I have a 2017 F3L (with rear top case/side bags). At time of purchase, I had the dealer order me a BRP trailering cover, which I thought I'd likely need since I planned to take the Spyder south from Ontario to Florida each winter, and make it a year-round toy. I had already picked up a used, light-weight, open aluminum trailer even before buying the F3. Then, I read many reports warning against using covers at all while trailering, due to flapping and scratching of finish on the bike. So, I wound up driving south with a naked Spyder; we survived a torrential rain without problems, and arrived dusty but in otherwise good shape. More about trailering experiences with that BRP cover later.

All was not lost upon arrival in FL, as I had only a single carport, and it was already being fought over by two cars. The Spyder was relegated to a side patch previously used by a golf cart. That left it sitting in the blazing hot FL sun all day and unprotected from moisture at night; I was concerned about likely fading due to full UV rays. The trailering cover was put to use. However, it's bulky and a bit of a hassle putting on and taking off for each ryde. I wanted to have something lighter, simpler, less bulky that I could also take on travels, if desired. I bought an Ultra Gard lightweight cover 4-475AB, really meant for an RT Limited, but hoping it would fit my F3L. It did, but barely - the F3L top case is longer, so the rear of that cover was stretched to its very limit, leaving the windshield sloppily covered because the fit there wasn't right. I had also installed an F4 23" windscreen, which meant that using the BRP trailering cover was nearly impossible because of its greater width (the extension pocket simply can't cope with the wider F4 shield). But, the sloppy fit of the Ultra Gard cover also meant rain water would pool rather than run off. I switched windscreens (to a BRP 'Tall Boy') and once again used the BRP trailering cover.

Still looking for a light-weight cover, I did investigate the Nelson Rigg half-cover; I rejected it as not being sufficient to block hot FL sun on the bottom half of the F3L. Yes, it would have protected my seats, top case and windscreen, etc., but still leave frunk, front fenders and side bags exposed. I opted instead for their CAS 370, a very nice light-weight full cover, not too bulky and much easier to put on/take off than the BRP, with lots of extra room at the windscreen to accommodate various sizes of shield. The only area of the 370 that doesn't quite fit is the hole for the antenna. This cover was really first designed for the RTL; it's also big enough to adapt to cover the longer F3L top case. The antenna position on an RTL is about 4" more forward than on an F3L. Easy fix; just cut a new hole and reinforce with a few stitches near the convenient seam corner joint about 4" further back - makes the 370 cover hang/fit better all the way around.

So, FWIW, I like having the added benefit of a full light-weight cover, but I would certainly go with nothing less than a half-cover. Better something than nothing if your ryde is going to spend extended periods of time out of doors and otherwise unprotected.

A post-script on the BRP trailering cover; you'll recall that I said I didn't use it heading south last fall. This spring, however, facing snow and ice when headed north in April, I did use it... all the way up. I fastened it down tight to avoid excess flapping, and I checked my straps every few hundred miles. I did not see any exaggerated flapping along the way. However, when inspecting the F3L upon arrival, I did find damage to the finish. No 'scratching' per se, but rather small 'worn spots' rubbed bare of paint at the corners of my side bags, and in a couple of other areas where there would have been intense friction from the trailering cover constantly jiggling and rubbing against the most protruding points of plastic paneling, over which the BRP cover had been stretched. This happened in spite of those areas of that cover being 'protected' by an inner layer of soft material. Bottom line: I don't believe I'll ever be using (or recommending) a trailering cover on my north-south journeys again. The Spyder and I will just have to grin and bear what Mother Nature throws at us, and have a 'clean up' bath on arrival.

Hope this helps.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I'll use a 1/2 cover on extended trips or rainy nights (maybe with a towel on the seat) it packs up small & can dry hanging on a shower curtain, if you know a good seamstress they could make a fitted bed sheet fit. Helps keep seat cool &dryer,dissuades idiots that need a selfie on something they can never have. Watch for the antenna & only use when parked never when towing.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have one of each depending on the need or conditions. The full cover is a bit more involved when used but completely covers the Spyder. The half cover is easier to use as it is smaller but still covers the windshield, dash, seat and rear storage.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default another yes

I think the 1/2 cover is a "must have" we use ours every night on any trip or weekender. I have used it in all kinds of weather and they have never failed. This year on our 11 day ride to Deadwood and back it seemed to only rain a night and we started our rides very early in the morning to beat the heat. And when we pulled the covers off first thing in the morning they were ready to roll. We sold our house last November and it took 5 months to find another one and we used them for protection every day as both bikes sat outside through an Oregon Winter. Attached is a photo of one morning on a return trip from Southern California in November when we woke up in Winamuca NV.
    IMG_0836.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Used our half cover last night

We have an Ultraguard half cover that we always carry in the top case. We stopped at a bar for dinner last night during a ride and there was a possibility of rain. We left both helmets on the seat and spent thirty seconds (we don't move very fast) putting the cover on. It only takes fifteen to remove and restow. We also use it when staying overnight away from home and sometimes when shopping if we think someone might want to "try out" our ryde!
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Default Covers are good.....however

We have both full and half covers, however I only take the half cover on trips now because of space saving concerns.
    With 2 years worth of experience now, I must admit to being disappointed with the half cover we have (Ultragard) when it comes to keeping things dry. Light rain, morning dew, and marine layer overnight has always left the spyder seats with wetness to be wiped off before riding. Not saying it is a BIG issue, but to me it is definitely NOT a 100% waterproof cover as advertised....if that is what you wanted or expect. Just reporting my experience.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Half cover

Use a half cover when ever out overnight. It has worked perfect through rain and shine. I carry it in a gear bag with 2 rain suits and some cleaning materials on the Safety Chrome rack on top of the trunk so it takes no room in the lockable storage and is easy to get at.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    We have both full and half covers, however I only take the half cover on trips now because of space saving concerns.
    With 2 years worth of experience now, I must admit to being disappointed with the half cover we have (Ultragard) when it comes to keeping things dry. Light rain, morning dew, and marine layer overnight has always left the spyder seats with wetness to be wiped off before riding. Not saying it is a BIG issue, but to me it is definitely NOT a 100% waterproof cover as advertised....if that is what you wanted or expect. Just reporting my experience.
    I have to say that with the BRP travel covers we have for both spyders, this has not been a problem. Seat stays nice and dry even on our trip through Canada where it rained some every day we were there. To the OP, covers are a must, if yiu are going to be out overnight, especially to keep people off your Spyder!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I’m Different

I’ve owned an RS, an RTS and currently have an F3L. In all my travels totaling over 75K Spyder miles, I’ve never covered any of them. A rain cover on the seat is it. In my opinion, a cover is just something else to carry, put on, take off, pack and unpack. As simple as it may be, to me they are just a hassle I choose not partake in.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series