Spyder Garage

Default Motonation Cappra Riding Pants Review

Asked a question a couple weeks back about Motonation's new Cappra riding pants and wound up buying a pair to check them out.

(See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...otonation-gear if interested.)

I promised a review and here it is.

Product: Cappra Vented Textile Pants

Price: $99

The price is the reason for my initial interest. Everything else I've seen in this general category -- mesh/vented, durable, armored/padded -- starts around $150 and goes up -- way up (that's right, I'm looking at you, Klim...) -- from there. So the key question was, is this product another confirmation of getting what you paid for or is it a legitimate bargain?

The other reason for my interest was from an early review that claimed they really flowed air nicely and would work in the heat. That's a huge consideration for me because as I type this, the temperature is headed toward 107 today here in central Texas, and it's not a dry heat. I had a trip planned to Houston this past week, and used that as the basis for this review.

Construction: As I noted in my first impressions post on the other thread, these are sturdy, well-made pants. Having worn them now on multiple rides, I am confident that they will provide pretty good abrasion protection in a slide, and are not going to fall apart on me in normal use. The zippers (YKK) and fasteners are all industrial strength, and everything is solidly fitted together.

Features: Comes with decent armor (CE) in the knee area, and a lightweight hip pad as well. The padding is removable/replaceable, but the pockets for it are not adjustable. I intend eventually to get proper armor for the hip area. There is a zipper attachment on the back side for attaching a compatible jacket. The waist is adjustable with a sturdy velcro loop on each hip, and gives you a fair bit of room for error there. There are 10-inch zippers from the calf area down to the ankle, and the ankle is cinched with velcro also. The crotch and knee area offer some stretchable/flexible fabric that turns out to work really well. There is a removable inner rain liner that I've removed and don't anticipate using -- I have Frogg Toggs overpants that are much more easy to work with when needed.

Fit/comfort: The pants are currently only offered with a 32-inch inseam, but have waist sizes ranging from 28 inches (XS) to 40 inches (XXXL). I wear 36-32 pants, and the waist and length of the 36-in. waist size are a good fit for me. Maybe just a touch roomy, but the hip adjustments take care of that. I found them to be very comfortable while seated and while walking around as well. I wore underwear and a pair of shorts under them on one leg (no pun intended) of my journey, and with underwear only on the return trip, and was comfortable in both cases. They definitely don't work as overpants, but to wear in the heat when you want to be in shorts at your destination is definitely doable.

Colors: Henry Ford lives. Black only.

Performance:

I rode in the heat of the day on my trip over to Houston -- the notoriously inaccurate temperature reading on the Spyder peaked at 109, but it was indeed above 100 degrees -- and it was tolerable. Part of the problem is the RT -- with the wind shields in place, you just don't get all that much airflow across your legs. To the extent that you do, the pants work -- they do flow air nicely, and on my ride back the following day, I was much more comfortable with just a 10 degree difference (mid-90s). You can definitely feel the sun baking that black fabric, though.

Pros:

1) Price -- you get a lot for $99.
    2) Comfort -- they are not something you have to convince yourself to wear for the protection.
    3) Protection -- definitely a lot more than a pair of jeans, my alternative. The knee protection is good and comfortable.

Cons:

1) Color -- I would kill for these to be offered in ANY other color -- we have 3 seasons of hot weather riding down here, and I'd wear pink if it kept my legs cooler.
    2) Leg openings -- unless you're wearing ballet slippers, you pretty much have to remove your shoes/boots to take the pants off, so the calf zippers are not all that meaningful. For them to be a commuting pant, I want to be able to shed them without having to go through that process.

Summary:

A real price/performance win. If anyone at Motonation is reading this, I'll buy a second pair in any other color.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the great revue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The color is a deal-killer for me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The color is a deal-killer for me.
    I hear you, Pete. I needed to be wearing something more than jeans, and the price overcame my problem with the color -- they'll be fine in about 3 months!

What do you wear during the summer?
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    I hear you, Pete. I needed to be wearing something more than jeans, and the price overcame my problem with the color -- they'll be fine in about 3 months! What do you wear during the summer?
    I'm one of those that has chosen comfort over ATGATT, which leaves me more options. I'm currently favoring some lightweight, light grey cargo pants from Columbia

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're not ventilated, but that's okay because in my case, riding in the desert heat, I don't want the hot dry wind on my skin.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Carhart blue jeans that I use as part of the riding pants--when I am not wearing the Kevlar jeans. The Carharts have an extra thickness of the denim on both legs. Going on three years with that pair.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have a pair of Carhart blue jeans that I use as part of the riding pants--when I am not wearing the Kevlar jeans. The Carharts have an extra thickness of the denim on both legs. Going on three years with that pair.
    Bit warm for summer riding in the lower 48, maybe?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Clothing

The one place I do not worry about price is protective clothing, coming off a Spyder might be much harder than a two wheel motorcycle. I use jackets and pants andboots with D30 armor in them.plus if is gore-tex you don't have to worry about the rain.
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER
    SENA SM10 BLUE TOOTH
    LAMONSTER FBB HIGHWAY BRACKET WING BOARD BLK
    BPR TRAILER HITCH
    KRADELLOCK FOR THE GPS
    BIG BRAKE PEDAL BY TRICLED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J48cruiser View Post
    The one place I do not worry about price is protective clothing, coming off a Spyder might be much harder than a two wheel motorcycle. I use jackets and pants andboots with D30 armor in them.plus if is gore-tex you don't have to worry about the rain.
    What pants (make/model) do you use/recommend?
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Protective clothing

Klim meet all the requirements again not inexpensive but broken bones are painful. I use Snow Bigdeal if you call then ask about the klim discount it is 10 percent 877-766-9277
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER