Spyder Garage

Default USB in glove box on 2018 F3L music question.

Can you play music from a USB thumb drive plugged into the USB connector in the glove box on the 2018 F3L with new screen. I can't make it work.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, its just a power USB for the smartphone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Can you play music from a USB thumb drive plugged into the USB connector in the glove box on the 2018 F3L with new screen. I can't make it work.
    It is supposed to. I used it to play music from my smart phone. Go through the mode selections and see if it comes up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

On the 2018 all they have on the screen is AUX and Bluetooth. My 2015 RTS had AUX and Ipod.

Spyder Garage

The plugin in my glove box on my 2017 F3 Limited works just fine with a USB thumb drive. You have to make sure your drive is formatted with FAT32 rather than NTFS. I had this same issue, once I reformatted the drive and loaded the music back on it the drive then worked like a charm after I selected the USB option. Not sure if this works the same on a 2018.

johnv
    Last edited by johnv50; 07-21-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default USB Thumbdrive

I have the 2018 RTL, and there’s a usb slot in back trunk, under Velcro pull down. I know u have the F3, but since it’s the Limited, it maybe in same place as mine. That “hidden compartment” towards the top of the rear trunk. Worth a look.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It is supposed to. I used it to play music from my smart phone. Go through the mode selections and see if it comes up.
    No it is not suppose to. This is a 2018 F3L the OP is talking about. There is no option for a thumb drive to work. It will play music through BT from your smartphone. Does not have to plugged into the usb plug either.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    No, its just a power USB for the smartphone.
    Yes it is power for the smartphone, but also data for the screen display of the BRP Connect apps. The bandwidth on BT is just not big enough.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you have a smartphone. BT pair it up to the dash. Play your tunes from it.

This is a guess on my part, but even a flip phone may even work as a BT music player. If that is what you have. Please give that a try and see what happens.

If you don't carry a phone with you when you ride. Then get a Ipod or mp3 player and use the aux cable for tunes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    No it is not suppose to. This is a 2018 F3L the OP is talking about. There is no option for a thumb drive to work. It will play music through BT from your smartphone. Does not have to plugged into the usb plug either.
    I stand corrected. They have changed it with the new system.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

If you have a smartphone. BT pair it up to the dash. Play your tunes from it.

This is a guess on my part, but even a flip phone may even work as a BT music player. If that is what you have. Please give that a try and see what happens.

If you don't carry a phone with you when you ride. Then get a Ipod or mp3 player and use the aux cable for tunes.
    I do not want to use aux. It only has volume control.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do not want to use aux. It only has volume control.
    Then your only other option is to play music from your smartphone using the BRP Connect music app. That gives you full control using the handlebar controls. Or BT your phone and control the music with the phone.

As I see it, reading many comments here on the forum and the BRP Connect info your choices are BT your phone, or use the USB stick with control over volume only. If neither of those options is satisfactory to you then you'll have to travel in silence I guess. Be thankful BRP didn't follow Honda's lead. The only phone the 2018 Honda Goldwing connects to is iPhone, no Android.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes it is power for the smartphone, but also data for the screen display of the BRP Connect apps. The bandwidth on BT is just not big enough.

Thats what "USB for the smartphone" means. Its for the smartphone that is used on the new 2018 dash. Power, data, whatever, its the USB for the smartphone!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Be thankful BRP didn't follow Honda's lead. The only phone the 2018 Honda Goldwing connects to is iPhone, no Android.

The new Goldwing really doesn't need a smartphone and it has AM/FM, Satellite Radio, CB, Sat Nav built in. The Apple Car play is just the frosting.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The new Goldwing really doesn't need a smartphone and it has AM/FM, Satellite Radio, CB, Sat Nav built in. The Apple Car play is just the frosting.
    Minor clarification. Provision for CB is built in, but CB is extra. IIRC, it's about $1200 for everything needed, CB, antenna, and handlebar controls.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Minor clarification. Provision for CB is built in, but CB is extra. IIRC, it's about $1200 for everything needed, CB, antenna, and handlebar controls.
    Yes, but it still has it if you want it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red