Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Plan Ahead

Some suggestions from one who RV'ed full time across the USA & Canada for 16 years . . . During the summer months, until Labor Day.
    1. Make reservations ahead of time, or at least while traveling that day. Call by noon.
    2. If you have no reservations, plan to be off the road by 3PM
    3. If in a tourist area, have reservations
    4. If no reservations, have at least one backup campground or boondock areas planned.
    5. If no reservations, keep a list of Super-Walmart and truck stops permitting overnight stays.
    6. Driving around in the dark, pulling a trailer, looking for a place to park is a poor substitute for a little pre-planning.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RT Limited, 590 GPS and KradleLock, Prius GPS sun hood, Soft travel bags, LidLocks helmet lock, Freedom Trailer and BRP Hitch, UltraGuard 1/2 Cover.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geoandkay View Post
    Some suggestions from one who RV'ed full time across the USA & Canada for 16 years . . . During the summer months, until Labor Day.
    1. Make reservations ahead of time, or at least while traveling that day. Call by noon.
    2. If you have no reservations, plan to be off the road by 3PM
    3. If in a tourist area, have reservations
    4. If no reservations, have at least one backup campground or boondock areas planned.
    5. If no reservations, keep a list of Super-Walmart and truck stops permitting overnight stays.
    6. Driving around in the dark, pulling a trailer, looking for a place to park is a poor substitute for a little pre-planning.
    Very good advice. Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps their idea of Boondocking, is when they take warm beer to a Maple Leafs game!
    Sorry can't help you with a camping reference. Most of us have to save our $$ to go to one of those Leafs games.

gorving.ca may be of some help if you haven't already looked at that site.....
    https://gorving.ca/campgrounds/campgrounds-ontario/

They have sections for the other provinces as well. Ontario is huge, as is Quebec. Not too many National Parks in Ontario but dozens of Provincial Parks and you mentioned you are already booked into one just after you enter Canada.

As mentioned speeds are in KPH, just multiply that by 0.6 to get a usable MPH. 100KPH=60MPH, 70KPH=45MPH, etc.

Be prepared for the price of fuel. You do have the 25% gain on your US$ but it still will seem high. A litre is just over a quart so multiply the price per litre by 4 to get quarts and then apply the 25%. We just returned from a 2000Km Spyder trip around the top of Lake Superior and saw fuel prices from a low of $1.20 per liter all the way up to $1.54 per litre. So 1.54 x 4 = $6.16 per gallon, Yikes and even after the 25% advantage... $4.62 US per gallon. Yikes again.

Your trip sounds wonderful. Lake Superior is amazing and you've included the Gaspe Peninsula too on the East Cost.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Sorry can't help you with a camping reference. Most of us have to save our $$ to go to one of those Leafs games.

gorving.ca may be of some help if you haven't already looked at that site.....
    https://gorving.ca/campgrounds/campgrounds-ontario/

They have sections for the other provinces as well. Ontario is huge, as is Quebec. Not too many National Parks in Ontario but dozens of Provincial Parks and you mentioned you are already booked into one just after you enter Canada.

As mentioned speeds are in KPH, just multiply that by 0.6 to get a usable MPH. 100KPH=60MPH, 70KPH=45MPH, etc.

Be prepared for the price of fuel. You do have the 25% gain on your US$ but it still will seem high. A litre is just over a quart so multiply the price per litre by 4 to get quarts and then apply the 25%. We just returned from a 2000Km Spyder trip around the top of Lake Superior and saw fuel prices from a low of $1.20 per liter all the way up to $1.54 per litre. So 1.54 x 4 = $6.16 per gallon, Yikes and even after the 25% advantage... $4.62 US per gallon. Yikes again.

Your trip sounds wonderful. Lake Superior is amazing and you've included the Gaspe Peninsula too on the East Cost.
    Very helpful. Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete,
    I've been reluctant to respond as I live in south central BC. Prior to the last 16 years we lived in Ontario and I lived in Quebec for my first 24 years. We used to RV via 5th wheel and tent trailer. Also spent a lot of time tent camping but mostly in remote areas.
    Quetico is a beautiful area and we used to canoe in the interior of Quetico.

My OPINION and IMPRESSION is that it is far easier to find a spot at the side of some road out west be it the US or Canada than it is in Ontario and Quebec. Not all Walmarts are overnight friendly based on our experience, but many are. There are many provincial parks and private campgrounds in Ontario and Quebec and I would try and take the very good advice of Geoandkay and nhoj and at least try and book something when close to your destination. It is a very busy time of the year for travelers. There is far less public land in the east than out west where people seem far more receptive to boondocking, again in my opinion.

Presently, Ontario is experiencing an extremely active forest fire season as we are in southern BC. I'm not sure how this may impact your travels, but something to be aware of.

Having traveled all the areas you have indicated on your map, I believe you will thoroughly enjoy your trip.

Happy travels,

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default hope this helps...

Hey Pete:
    Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip.
    While traversing Ontario (where I live), if you don’t want to spend nights in private campgrounds, you could try the Ontario Provincial Parks, all of which are well-kept, pretty safe, usually quite scenic and near water. Here is their website: https://www.ontarioparks.com/en. You’ll find links to sites, info, regulations, etc. Be aware that Monday, 6 August, is a provincial Civic Holiday, meaning that most sites will be heavily booked from the preceding Friday night and over that weekend. That applies to private campgrounds, motels, some stores, etc. So, anything from Aug. 3 – 6 may be tight; best to reserve ahead. You may find some roadside areas where you can camp freely, although it often seems to be discouraged as a deterrent to damage or folks leaving litter behind. Some areas are posted “NO overnight parking/camping”; if not posted, you could take a chance. If posted, you’ll likely get booted by local police patrol. As noted in another post, regular gas is currently running around $1.30 to $1.40 CDN per liter in southern Ontario - more in the north- (multiply by about 4 for US gal. equivalent); premium (91 – 93 octane) will probably run you another 10 or 12 cents/liter above that. If you’re passing near or through a First Nations (Native) Reserve, you’ll generally find cheaper gas prices (because of some tax savings). Speed limits are 100 kph or 60 mph on major highways; you can usually cheat a little. Traffic on our super (4-lane) highways usually flows closer to 110-115 kph or 65 – 70 mph; over that, and you may get noticed and ticketed. If you go with the flow, you’re usually in safe company. On secondary highways, the limit is usually 80 kph or 50 mph; that’s pretty standard across Ontario. Limit is 50 kph or 30 mph in towns. Watch out for ‘reduced speed’ areas; signs will drop from 80 kph (50 mph) to 70 or 60 kph – beware, these can be ‘speed trap’ areas; usually found when entering smaller countryside villages. Can’t speak to Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia regulations, but likely to be much the same. Oh, be aware that carrying firearms is highly discouraged at the border; if you are carrying, you may be refused entry or asked to surrender your arms.

Lots of pretty country all the way. Very friendly people, usually helpful. You’ll find life and customs much the same throughout Canada as in the US – highly civilized, a bit more reserved. No need to bring winter clothes or snowshoes; we do have paved roads, flush toilets, plenty of ATM’s, telephones and Internet wi-fi. Enjoy yourselves. If you need assistance en route, PM me if you think I can help. Welcome to Canada.
    Last edited by bushrat; 07-22-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    While traversing Ontario (where I live), if you don’t want to spend nights in private campgrounds, you could try the Ontario Provincial Parks, all of which are well-kept, pretty safe, usually quite scenic and near water. Here is their website: https://www.ontarioparks.com/en. You’ll find links to sites, info, regulations, etc. Be aware that Monday, 6 August, is a provincial Civic Holiday, meaning that most sites will be heavily booked from the preceding Friday night and over that weekend. That applies to private campgrounds, motels, some stores, etc. So, anything from Aug. 3 – 6 may be tight; best to reserve ahead.

You may find some roadside areas where you can camp freely, although it often seems to be discouraged as a deterrent to damage or folks leaving litter behind. Some areas are posted “NO overnight parking/camping”; if not posted, you could take a chance. If posted, you’ll likely get booted by local police patrol.

As noted in another post, regular gas is currently running around $1.30 to $1.40 CDN per liter in southern Ontario - more in the north- (multiply by about 4 for US gal. equivalent); premium (91 – 93 octane) will probably run you another 10 or 12 cents/liter above that. If you’re passing near or through a First Nations (Native) Reserve, you’ll generally find cheaper gas prices (because of some tax savings).

Speed limits are 100 kph or 60 mph on major highways; you can usually cheat a little. Traffic on our super (4-lane) highways usually flows closer to 110-115 kph or 65 – 70 mph; over that, and you may get noticed and ticketed. If you go with the flow, you’re usually in safe company. On secondary highways, the limit is usually 80 kph or 50 mph; that’s pretty standard across Ontario. Limit is 50 kph or 30 mph in towns. Watch out for ‘reduced speed’ areas; signs will drop from 80 kph (50 mph) to 70 or 60 kph – beware, these can be ‘speed trap’ areas; usually found when entering smaller countryside villages. Can’t speak to Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia regulations, but likely to be much the same.

Oh, be aware that carrying firearms is highly discouraged at the border; if you are carrying, you may be refused entry or asked to surrender your arms.

Lots of pretty country all the way. Very friendly people, usually helpful. You’ll find life and customs much the same throughout Canada as in the US – highly civilized, a bit more reserved. No need to bring winter clothes or snowshoes; we do have paved roads, flush toilets, plenty of ATM’s, telephones and Internet wi-fi. Enjoy yourselves. If you need assistance en route, PM me if you think I can help. Welcome to Canada.
    Thanks for the encouragement and insights. Very much appreciated.

The last time I crossed the border about 8 years ago (also traveling with the Scamp, Jane and two dogs), they held me there for almost two hours. I hadn't declared any weapons, but because I was from Utah, they didn't believe me. Kept asking me where I kept my guns. I kept telling them I hadn't owned a firearm of any kind since 1965, but they just couldn't believe that was true. Finally let me go, but it wasn't until I got to the US crossing that I discovered; a) they had kept my driver's license and b) my passport was not only expired but perforated (I'd brought the wrong one with me, but they didn't notice). This time, we're bringing bear spray canisters, which I will declare. I've been thinking about buying a cheap handgun to bring with me so they can have the thrill of confiscating it!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Pete, I've been reluctant to respond as I live in south central BC. Prior to the last 16 years we lived in Ontario and I lived in Quebec for my first 24 years. We used to RV via 5th wheel and tent trailer. Also spent a lot of time tent camping but mostly in remote areas.
    Quetico is a beautiful area and we used to canoe in the interior of Quetico.

My OPINION and IMPRESSION is that it is far easier to find a spot at the side of some road out west be it the US or Canada than it is in Ontario and Quebec. Not all Walmarts are overnight friendly based on our experience, but many are. There are many provincial parks and private campgrounds in Ontario and Quebec and I would try and take the very good advice of Geoandkay and nhoj and at least try and book something when close to your destination. It is a very busy time of the year for travelers. There is far less public land in the east than out west where people seem far more receptive to boondocking, again in my opinion.

Presently, Ontario is experiencing an extremely active forest fire season as we are in southern BC. I'm not sure how this may impact your travels, but something to be aware of. Having traveled all the areas you have indicated on your map, I believe you will thoroughly enjoy your trip. Happy travels, Gary
    Gary, I'm glad you overcame your reluctance and joined in the conversation. I appreciate your encouraging words and sage advice. Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

The last time I crossed the border about 8 years ago (also traveling with the Scamp, Jane and two dogs), they held me there for almost two hours. I hadn't declared any weapons, but because I was from Utah, they didn't believe me. Kept asking me where I kept my guns. I kept telling them I hadn't owned a firearm of any kind since 1965, but they just couldn't believe that was true. Finally let me go, but it wasn't until I got to the US crossing that I discovered; a) they had kept my driver's license and b) my passport was not only expired but perforated (I'd brought the wrong one with me, but they didn't notice). This time, we're bringing bear spray canisters, which I will declare. I've been thinking about buying a cheap handgun to bring with me so they can have the thrill of confiscating it!
    With regard to the bear spray, I believe it is required that it be labeled as 'bear spray'. Pepper spray would be problematic and of course other sprays such as mace are not permissible. I'm assuming you are just kidding about the hand gun but if not, probably not worth it even as an intended throw away. They won't be thrilled and it just perpetuates the notion, perhaps with just cause, but why promote the stereotype.
    We carry bear spray but only when we travel into very remote areas inhabited with grizzlies. In all our years of back country canoeing in Ontario and Quebec, let alone RVing, we never came close to needing it. Having said that, it is what ever makes you comfortable. Make sure you know how to use it.

Cheers,
    Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I returned to the States on the way home from the Homecoming, I was at a tiny border crossing in a small town in northern Maine. For the life of me I could not find my passport! The agent had me pull over and we both searched the car and the Spyder. He searched every compartment of my purse and found 5 .22mag bullets. I had left my gun at home but forgot to leave the reload ammo I keep with it. He said it's a good thing the Canadians didn't see that when I went in. After about a half-hour, he finally let me go on, even without seeing my passport. I think he figured anyone carrying ammo is probably an American!

(BTW, I later found my passport among my stuff.)
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default re border crossings

Pete:
    I wholeheartedly agree with Gary's comment just above, and sincerely suggest that you don't provoke any border resistance by bringing along a weapon that you really don't care about having confiscated. Here's why:

I'm a fairly frequent border crosser, and now spend half the year (winter) living in FL. Under the current US Administration, questioning/searching by US border agents has become more intense, sometimes problematic, at your northern border as well as the southern. It can make entry by visitors headed south sometimes more delayed, even doubtful. Couple this with recent disparaging personal comments by #45 about our leader, the institution of punitive tariffs upon our products, and threatened trade wars breaking out, it has led to an unfortunate, but not surprising or unexpected response that perhaps Canadian border guards should respond in kind- i.e, 'toughen up'. I'm not speaking politically, just realistically. Most folks are trying to remain calm and cool. However, the rise of 'nationalism' in one country often results in an 'echoed' and increased nationalism elsewhere; international good relations can become strained and suffer. Very unfortunate.

Lest I be misunderstood, I say this as someone descended from two grandmothers who were each born in the USA, having later migrated north; many of my other American ancestors left the US after the Revolution, remaining loyal to a mad king; otherwise I might have grown up in the Carolinas. My Danish ancestors went first to Texas, then Nebraska, before winding up in the Canadian north. To me, the 49th parallel has often been more of a dotted line on a map, with not a lot of bearing on where I physically happen or choose to be. But still, it is an obstacle to be overcome, and you don't want to be creating any greater excuse than necessary for a border guard to be flexing the 'muscles' of his/her authority. Best advice; leave the weapon at home. Bring the bear spray if you have to, but you'll likely not need it.
    Last edited by bushrat; 07-22-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    With regard to the bear spray, I believe it is required that it be labeled as 'bear spray'. Pepper spray would be problematic and of course other sprays such as mace are not permissible. I'm assuming you are just kidding about the hand gun but if not, probably not worth it even as an intended throw away. They won't be thrilled and it just perpetuates the notion, perhaps with just cause, but why promote the stereotype.
    We carry bear spray but only when we travel into very remote areas inhabited with grizzlies. In all our years of back country canoeing in Ontario and Quebec, let alone RVing, we never came close to needing it. Having said that, it is what ever makes you comfortable. Make sure you know how to use it. Cheers, Gary
    Yes, I was kidding about the throwaway hand gun
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Pete:I wholeheartedly agree with Gary's comment just above, and sincerely suggest that you don't provoke any border resistance by bringing along a weapon that you really don't care about having confiscated. Here's why:

I'm a fairly frequent border crosser, and now spend half the year (winter) living in FL. Under the current US Administration, questioning/searching by US border agents has become more intense, sometimes problematic, at your northern border as well as the southern. It can make entry by visitors headed south sometimes more delayed, even doubtful. Couple this with recent disparaging comments by #45 about our leader, the institution of punitive tariffs upon our products, and threatened trade wars breaking out, it has led to an unfortunate, but not surprising or unexpected response that perhaps Canadian border guards should respond in kind- i.e, 'toughen up'. I'm not speaking politically, just realistically. Most folks are trying to remain calm and cool. However, the rise of 'nationalism' in one country often results in an 'echoed' and increased nationalism elsewhere; international good relations can become strained and suffer. Very unfortunate.

Lest I be misunderstood, I say this as someone descended from two grandmothers who were each born in the USA, having later migrated north; many of my other American ancestors left the US after the Revolution, remaining loyal to a mad king; otherwise I might have grown up in the Carolinas. My Danish ancestors went first to Texas, then Nebraska, before winding up in the Canadian north. To me, the 49th parallel has often been more of a dotted line on a map, with not a lot of bearing on where I physically happen or choose to be. But still, it is an obstacle to be overcome, and you don't want to be creating any greater excuse than necessary for a border guard to be flexing the 'muscles' of his/her authority. Best advice; leave the weapon at home. Bring the bear spray if you have to, but you'll likely not need it.
    Bushrat, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Anyone who has been following the off-topic threads for the past year knows I'm not at all the stereotypical Utahn. Or American, for that matter.

I was born in the US of British parents, who then emigrated to Canada (South Burnaby, BC) when I was 5. We went back to England 5 years later, then 18 months after that emigrated to the US (Connecticut). Joined the US Navy after High School (Manchester, CT), served on two ships and did a tour in-country Vietnam. When I got out after 10 years, I was an avowed peacenik and located my family in the SF Bay Area where I lived for over 20 years. I actually have dual citizenship, but it hasn't gotten so bad here yet that I'm ready to move to Canada or England (I don't like the cold and get island fever)!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, are you dual citizens of USA and UK? or USA and Canada? Or does citizenship of Canada automatically bestow citizenship of the UK? Or vice-versa?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Pete, are you dual citizens of USA and UK? or USA and Canada? Or does citizenship of Canada automatically bestow citizenship of the UK? Or vice-versa?
    US and UK. I'm assuming, but don't really know, there's some kind of an immigration reciprocity between Canada and the UK.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti,
    He's never sure if he can get back into any one of the Countries, so he has to keep his options open!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, I was kidding about the throwaway hand gun

You don't own a handgun...….. It would be against your California beliefs,,,,,,,,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Look out Canada; here we come

July 31 2018.jpg

I've got Goodyears on the Xterra and 14" Kenda Karrier radials on the Scamp. Just in case someone was wondering about that.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-31-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One more thing...

Don't mess with the Canadian Border Patrol!

Canadian Border Patrol.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One more thing... Don't mess with the Canadian Border Patrol!

Canadian Border Patrol.jpg
    Thanks for the advice. I did buy travel insurance, but I'm not sure if it will pay for springing me out of an illegal alien jail in Canada.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand that Travel insurance won't pay for bail bonds...

..But they WILL bake you a cake: that has a file in it!

Get Out Of Jail.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice-looking rig!

Spyder Garage

July 31 2018.jpg

I've got Goodyears on the Xterra and 14" Kenda Karrier radials on the Scamp. Just in case someone was wondering about that.

Driving a Nissan ??????? Ever hear of Pearl Harbor ????????

We don't drive Nissans around these parts. This is Merica and don't you forget it !!!!!!!!

Drive Safe !!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Driving a Nissan ??????? Ever hear of Pearl Harbor ???????? We don't drive Nissans around these parts. This is Merica and don't you forget it !!!!!!!! Drive Safe !!!!
    I thought your biggest issue would be with the Kenda tires on the Scamp
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

July 31 2018.jpg

Where do you put the Spyder?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)