Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A great pool of Knowlege here

I need some help here. When I bought my current house the previous owner left this screwed to the garage wall. At first I thought is was a car license from Great Britain because of the "GB", and the numbers. Did a search, and it turns out Great Britain does not have plates like this. So I figure I'll tap into the large pool of Knowlege here to see if anyone recognizes it. It is made out of some type of plastic, so not metal if this helps.

Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

It is a British license plate...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2004/5 in Peterborough Cambridgeshire - first registered
    So says Google - maybe someone's souvenir?

Spyder Garage

Though it's not depicted in the Wikipedia article about GB plates (theirs are the much wider and thinner design) It could be a GB plate for an american model car brought over to England. Could the prior owner have been Military or State Department employee?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you all for the hel.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a British license plate...
    You hit it right BajaRon. When I looked it up I typed in Great Britain, but after your post I type British. Bingo, and fount out it is a British motorcycle license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    2004/5 in Peterborough Cambridgeshire - first registered
    So says Google - maybe someone's souvenir?
    Must not of meant much to him since he did not take it when he moved after selling the house.

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Though it's not depicted in the Wikipedia article about GB plates (theirs are the much wider and thinner design) It could be a GB plate for an american model car brought over to England. Could the prior owner have been Military or State Department employee?
    Don't know much about the prior owner other than what my neighbors have told me. Most did not like him, So don't think I'll ask them.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

IIRC, the GB signifies British, while the left hand blue edge & circle of stars shows that it's a plate for a vehicle that's recognised Internationally & especially in the European Union as a legal vehicle & one that's had all the necessary international road taxes paid, so it's legit to drive on any EU roads and doesn't have to pay the extra road taxes that 'non- EU' cars hafta ante up for in each country.... or something along those lines! Whenever we travelled (driving) thru EU countries the cars with those plates breezed thru the various check-points, while the cars without that left hand edge copped all sorts of extra checks & fees!! The GB bit is specific to Great Britain, as opposed to Scotland or Wales etc. Not all British cars carry that sort of plate, it's cheaper not to - IF you don't ever intend to drive your car outside of Britain, but then not all British owners want to drive their cars in other EU countries. I guess that sort of plate designation will all change come BREXIT, so that plate might eventually become a rare collectors item - or not!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An acquaintance of mine and a couple of his close friends are intending on shipping their motorcycles over to Europe and do a summer tour. Will they have to stop at each country and pay extra to drive on their roads? If so that could get costly. Just wondering. Thought about doing it myself after the wife retires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The GB bit is specific to Great Britain, as opposed to Scotland or Wales etc.
    I hate to tell you this, Pete, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are in fact part of Great Britain. It would need to be an English plate, to be “opposed to Scotland or Wales etc”.

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I’VE BEEN WAITING TO FIND SOMETHING I CAN CORRECT YOU ON, YOU KNOWLEDGABLE BUGGER.. That’s me done for the year

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You might be right as far as most Brits or Scots etc are concerned Pete, & maybe I got me mucking furds wuddled in the post or maybe I shoulda said 'uniquely' before the Scotland & Wales bit (but not Northern Ireland, cos apparently they couldn't agree on a unique label); but once again IIRC, I've expressed amazement at the GB label for exactly the reasons you mention, only to be told "not according to the EU Motor Registration labelling system", cos apparently, under that system, at some stage EN meant something else to them, and couldn't be used to apply to the England part of 'Greater' Great Britain.... Even now, any vehicle with a legit 'on the Island' label like EN/ENG, SCO, or CYM (for Wales) that travels into other EU Countries STILL hasta display either a GB or UK label.... Just another thing for the BREXIT mob to clamour about, I guess!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2018 at 04:46 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    IIRC, the GB signifies British, while the left hand blue edge & circle of stars shows that it's a plate for a vehicle that's recognised Internationally & especially in the European Union as a legal vehicle & one that's had all the necessary international road taxes paid, so it's legit to drive on any EU roads and doesn't have to pay the extra road taxes that 'non- EU' cars hafta ante up for in each country.... or something along those lines! Whenever we travelled (driving) thru EU countries the cars with those plates breezed thru the various check-points, while the cars without that left hand edge copped all sorts of extra checks & fees!! The GB bit is specific to Great Britain, as opposed to Scotland or Wales etc. Not all British cars carry that sort of plate, it's cheaper not to - IF you don't ever intend to drive your car outside of Britain, but then not all British owners want to drive their cars in other EU countries. I guess that sort of plate designation will all change come BREXIT, so that plate might eventually become a rare collectors item - or not!
    Learned so much about these plates, but still don't know what to do with them. Some more info is I have two that have the same number/letters, but one is white while the other is yellow. Also they are the same size as a US car plate. I can only assume one is made for the front, and the other for the back. Of course that goes against my prior info that said they were motorcycle plates. Anybody here that collect license plates want them? If so, just pay shipping, and you can have them.

Plate 2.jpgPlate.jpg

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Things have changed in 30 years. When we lived in England in 1988-89 we had our US Nissan Maxima over there. The rear registration number plate was just like the yellow one you have except it did not have the GB designation on it. Made same size as a US plate since a normal British number plate wouldn't fit. We had a GB decal on the back. Because there was room on the front bumper the front plate was all on one line and white, which is the normal style. Also, no GB designation on it either. The number plates are made by auto shops or whoever, not by prison inmates! They have no date stickers, etc., on them like ours do.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    An acquaintance of mine and a couple of his close friends are intending on shipping their motorcycles over to Europe and do a summer tour. Will they have to stop at each country and pay extra to drive on their roads? If so that could get costly. Just wondering. Thought about doing it myself after the wife retires.
    I think that once they've paid for the permit or whatever to drive their O/seas Owned & Registered Vehicles in the European Union, & they display the correct label or at least carry the correct paperwork, then they'll be right for any EU Countries.... I really don't have any idea of what the legal requirements are for taking O/seas vehicles into Non-EU or even Former-EU Countries, but IMHO it'd certainly be a good idea to make sure of those requirements before leaving!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!