Spyder Garage

Default Removing inside of rear storage compartment RTL

I would like information on how to remove the plastic inside the rear side storage compartment on a '17 Rtl. I want to cut out the piece that went around the old battery that hasn't been there for a few years. Going to fiberglass so it matches the other side. Tired of using the frunk to lock up one of our helmets. Rather use both back side compartments for hemets an use the front to hold our stuff. Tried searching but nothing would come up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. You would think Can Am would of been nice enough to change the inside to a better usable area since they moved the battery. Thank you for any help you give. Sorry for using wrong word in title , should been side not rear.
    Last edited by ned64; 07-18-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Wrong words

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    I would like information on how to remove the plastic inside the rear storage compartment on a '17 Rtl. I want to cut out the piece that went around the old battery that hasn't been there for a few years. Going to fiberglass so it matches the other side. Tired of using the frunk to lock up one of our helmets. Rather use both back compartments for hemets an use the front to hold our stuff. Tried searching but nothing would come up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. You would think Can Am would of been nice enough to change the inside to a better usable area since they moved the battery. Thank you for any help you give.
    When the battery was moved it was not moved from the trunk,but from under the seat. That is why nothing comes up in search,no one to my knowledge has ever done this,but if you figure it out let us know. You can put one helmet in the right bag and one in the trunk and leave the frunk open.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I believe the easiest way is to remove the rear compartment. This involves removing seat, there is a total of 7 bolts to remove and 2 plug connectors. This will allow the hole assembly to come off rear of bike. You will need help removing cargo unit. This will give easy access to the part you want to modify. There are a couple of videos out there that shows how it is done. Good luck. Bruce.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You can put one helmet in the right bag and one in the trunk and leave the frunk open.
    We use Arai full-face helmets, sizes L and S, and neither one fits in either of the side storage compartments or into the rear trunk of our RT. It's not even close. You can't even come close to fitting them into the trunk, they are far too wide. When you open the side compartment and try to put them in, again they're too wide -- the door won't even get close to the latch. Fortunately we can manipulate them both into the frunk most of the time with a struggle. Perhaps half-helmets would fit as you describe.

The OP has a great idea but I don't think it would be possible. His best bet would be to try to shoehorn both his helmets into the frunk. A nice (but currently nonexistent) accessory would be an extension for the side storage compartments to extend them far enough to fit helmets (like BMW Variocases). It would have been so easy for BRP to have just given us a couple more inches on all the storage compartments.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Safecracker, +1, he's hit the nail on the head. and YES someone has done it, posted pics of their RTL left side redundant battery box removal. But No idea on how to find that thread in the history.
    I had my rear trunk assembly off recently to correct a stuck ACS Check valve and could easily access that crazy corner indent. I believe the person that did this, carefully cut the indent out of that left side box, flipped the cut out portion over and glassed it back onto the cutout.

Ned64, sounds like a good winter project, thanks for the reminder.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    I would like information on how to remove the plastic inside the rear side storage compartment on a '17 Rtl. I want to cut out the piece that went around the old battery that hasn't been there for a few years. Going to fiberglass so it matches the other side. Tired of using the frunk to lock up one of our helmets. Rather use both back side compartments for hemets an use the front to hold our stuff. Tried searching but nothing would come up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. You would think Can Am would of been nice enough to change the inside to a better usable area since they moved the battery. Thank you for any help you give. Sorry for using wrong word in title , should been side not rear.
    I would like to do the same thing with my '10. I can fit a modular in the rt side but not the left side
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Sorry Zip, that indent is where your battery is on a '10. On '13's and later the battery was moved up front.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Left saddlebag inner compartment

We removed it once after a hinge mount broke. Replaced the compartment, and reassembled it. Use the service manual, and take your time. Once out, use a dremel to cut the indent. As I recall, someone else did this, inverted the plastic, and fiberglassed it back together. We had to return the broken part. I’m wondering if a heat gun could soften it enough to work it? Worth a try!
    D1933048-9A40-497B-B203-23F64D7CD82C.jpgA3735CF3-C17E-46E4-8F87-A3FC379544F1.jpg
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies. Sorry for wording the title wrong.

Safecracker, thank you for saying to remove rear trunk assembly an watch YouTube videos.

DGoebel, thank you for knowing what I was wanting to do an remembering that someone had done it an how. I saw in a post once some time back just mentioned just fiberglass or something nothing else .

Cptjam, thank you for remembering a person did it too. Thanks for posting the pictures. I know now what the inner saddlebag compartment unit looks like an will be able to handle it easily to do the refab work on it.

I will be doing this this winter. Neither mine or wife modular helmets will fit in the rear trunk. One goes in right saddlebag, other has to go in front trunk after taking stuff out an forcing it in left saddlebag an rear trunk. Makes for a pain in the ass when going somewhere an carrying lots of stuff an having to shift stuff around when stopped. It's been 5 years now you would thought Can Am would have changed the shape inside left saddlebag to usable space for a helmet to fit or other stuff.

Thank you all for the help an knowledge you've given me. I will study up on removing what all needs be done. Sorry if I've used any wrong words explain anything. I will let you know after I get this done how it turned out. Everyone keep riding an smiling.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=johnsimion;1378135]We use Arai full-face helmets, sizes L and S, and neither one fits in either of the side storage compartments or into the rear trunk of our RT. It's not even close. You can't even come close to fitting them into the trunk, they are far too wide. When you open the side compartment and try to put them in, again they're too wide -- the door won't even get close to the latch. Fortunately we can manipulate them both into the frunk most of the time with a struggle. Perhaps half-helmets would fit as you describe.[QUOTE]

I have no trouble storing by my XL Shoei modular in the right side case on my 2015 RT. Face shield faces forward and top of helmet faces outward. I do have to remove the S20 communicator however.
    Last edited by Arion; 07-19-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

The first mod I did to my 17 rtl was take a heat gun and carefully heat the back panel of the rt side case.I then took an old helmet and pushed it into case and closed door.After it cooled I was able to fit my brand new HJC modular helmet with sena in there easily,whereas before the door was about 1.5" from latching.I looked at doing other side for wifes helmet but I figured that bump had something important behind it.Tommorow I will try to push in that side as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    The first mod I did to my 17 rtl was take a heat gun and carefully heat the back panel of the rt side case.I then took an old helmet and pushed it into case and closed door.After it cooled I was able to fit my brand new HJC modular helmet with sena in there easily,whereas before the door was about 1.5" from latching.I looked at doing other side for wifes helmet but I figured that bump had something important behind it.Tommorow I will try to push in that side as well.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about how that worked. We can *just* get our spare 3/4 helmet in there right now (for friends/family who want to hop on for a test ride when I'm riding solo), but would really like to be able to use that space for one of our full-face helmets on a longer trip. That would be a great solution if it works.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Did you do the left side case?

Did you try using a heat gun on the left side case? Did it work?
    Rob

Tommorow I will try to push in that side as well.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Did you try using a heat gun on the left side case? Did it work?
    Rob
    I will tommorow and let you all know.

Spyder Garage

I will tommorow and let you all know.
    Update,giant fail,do not waste your time.Even though I was able to push in the rt side case enuf to fit a helmet,the left side is different.Behind that bumpout on the upper left corner there are hoses and another bracket that would only allow you to push it in halfway,but I tried anyway thinking that halfway would be enuf to fit a helmet.I guess because of the shape of it and the extreme heat needed all I ended up doing was gaining a 1/4" and now I will have to cover it with felt or some kind of liner bc its all bumpy and looks like ****.

Spyder Garage

Update,giant fail,do not waste your time.Even though I was able to push in the rt side case enuf to fit a helmet,the left side is different.Behind that bumpout on the upper left corner there are hoses and another bracket that would only allow you to push it in halfway,but I tried anyway thinking that halfway would be enuf to fit a helmet.I guess because of the shape of it and the extreme heat needed all I ended up doing was gaining a 1/4" and now I will have to cover it with felt or some kind of liner bc its all bumpy and looks like ****.
    A great idea nonetheless. Thanks for giving it a shot -- and for warning us off.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for trying

Thanks for trying. Now I'm wondering about what you find if you use a Dremel to cut out the old battery bump in the left side case. Do you actually free-up any space?

Rob

2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Thanks for trying. Now I'm wondering about what you find if you use a Dremel to cut out the old battery bump in the left side case. Do you actually free-up any space?

Rob
    You will not find as much room as you think bc theres a bracket and 3 hoses back there which you can see if you take out the cover above which is just below the passengers hand grip.If someone wants to go to the trouble of relocating those pieces then they could gain the full space of that bump out area.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I have a huge GMAX American Flag print, modular helmet. It just fits in the right side, but I wish it had just a quarter inch more of space so i didn't have to push the door so hard to shut it in. The only way it fits is if it is upright, and the visor is facing towards the back.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    I have a huge GMAX American Flag print, modular helmet. It just fits in the right side, but I wish it had just a quarter inch more of space so i didn't have to push the door so hard to shut it in. The only way it fits is if it is upright, and the visor is facing towards the back.
    You can gain close to 1" by using a heat gun right in the middle of the back wall of the case and then push it in and hold till it cools.It takes a lot of heat and you have to be carefull to not burn a hole thru it but I did it with great sucess.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE