Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default How long do brake pads last

I have a 2012 RSS and I see no scoring on break discs but my pads do look pretty thin how long have any of you people have gone without your first replacement of brake pads? I just turned over 69,000 KM which is just shy of 43,000 miles! I’ve heard some people spending 100,000 miles on this 990 twin which is very impressive but how often are the brakes getting done again it’s all about city versus Highway traffic right?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

You're gonna get hundreds of different answers to a question like that. Sure, city vs. highway plays a role but so does style of riding, aggressiveness of braking, riding the brakes, quality of components, speed, etc. Many variables.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Until they wear out. Seriously. You should do the brake pad check when suggested, and when they start getting obviously thin, replace them. It's a lot cheaper than having to also replace the discs, and a lot safer than finding out the hard way that they're toast.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Brake pad mileage varies a great deal. There are so many variables that there really is no answer to this question.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I find that I use the brakes A LOT more on the Spyder than I do on my Goldwing. I expect that the pads will need replacing somewhere around 40K on the Spyder. Have never had to replace pads on the wing and have over 100K miles. But the wing is driven by shifting down to stops and brakes are usually only applied at the very end of the stop. The Spyder needs more braking so I guess the pads will wear sooner. How much sooner.?......time will tell. But my best guess is about 40K. I have 25K on mine and will know pretty soon.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

In my case around 25,000km for the back and 50,000km+ for the front. Lots of twisty and hilly roads + tourists driving on the wrong side of the road (unfortunately very common). So lots of braking - don't really have what you'd call highways here:-) As others have said it really depends on roads, riding styles, etc.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have 25K on mine and will know pretty soon.
    Better take a close look at them! My driving is mostly highway and Interstate and still my pads were completely worn out a 26k!!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)