Spyder Garage

Default Wiring harness question

I have the right side panels off Of my 2015 RTL Below the seat on the right side there is a section of wire harness that is unused, apparently for some accessory. It has a 2.5 and 3.55 mm audio jacks and a USB jack. Anyone know what this is for?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    I have the right side panels off Of my 2015 RTL Below the seat on the right side there is a section of wire harness that is unused, apparently for some accessory. It has a 2.5 and 3.55 mm audio jacks and a USB jack. Anyone know what this is for?

GPS
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Audio System connections, I have the factory GPS installed option, but not the CD or Sirius XM

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

So what can they be used for? Is the USB for power only or can it be used for some other purpose? Are the 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks audio in (mic?) and audio out (headset?). I have the Garmin Zumo 595 GPS.

Spyder Garage

So what can they be used for? Is the USB for power only or can it be used for some other purpose? Are the 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks audio in (mic?) and audio out (headset?). I have the Garmin Zumo 595 GPS.
    The 3.5 is already used for audio from gps to radio. The unused 2.5 in for microphone. Not sure what the gps needs a microphone for. The usb plug is for a gps traffic antenna. If you subscribe to the service. There may be a better explanation in the gps manual. Remember the good manual does not come with the gps. You need to download it from Garmin.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The 3.5 is already used for audio from gps to radio. The unused 2.5 in for microphone. Not sure what the gps needs a microphone for. The usb plug is for a gps traffic antenna. If you subscribe to the service. There may be a better explanation in the gps manual. Remember the good manual does not come with the gps. You need to download it from Garmin.
    I didn't know that. Now I do! Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looking at it a little closer, there are two 3.5mm Jack‘s, one of which is plugged into a 3.5 mm plug also part of the harness, and the second one is capped and unused as is the 2.5 mm Jack. . I believe the Garman will except a voice commands so maybe that’s what the 2.5 mm Jack is for.

Sounds like I Need to do some reading in the Garman manual. Thanks for all of the good info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looking at it a little closer, there are two 3.5mm Jack‘s, one of which is plugged into a 3.5 mm plug also part of the harness, and the second one is capped and unused as is the 2.5 mm Jack. . I believe the Garman will except a voice commands so maybe that’s what the 2.5 mm Jack is for.

Sounds like I Need to do some reading in the Garman manual. Thanks for all of the good info.
    Let us know what you find out
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The 660 mount harness only had 1 3.5 mm jack. But I see you are right the 590/595 has 2. Let us know what the 2nd one is for.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Per the Garmin manual, this is in fact the harness from the Garmin mount.

Fused power input
    USB port, for an external media player such as an ipod, maybe for a memory stick?
    2.5mm Microphone Input, not sure what this is for. Voice commands to GPS or maybe to a linked smartphone?
    3.5mm Line level audio output sends GPS audio to Spyder's stereo system.
    3.5mm Line Level audio input, for any line level source, selected by AUX selection on media player app.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fused power input
    USB port, for an external media player such as an ipod, maybe for a memory stick?
    2.5mm Microphone Input, not sure what this is for. Voice commands to GPS or maybe to a linked smartphone?
    3.5mm Line Level audio input, for any line level source, selected by AUX selection on media player app.
    I think you've got it pretty close to right. If there is a CB installed on the bike you can make calls through a cell phone. You have to have a GPS that will BT connect to your phone for two way communication. The BRP cell phone adapter cable plugs into the CB harness. One lead goes to the GPS mic input.
    Do you see a power connector? If so that would indicate the USB is as you say, or as Billy says for an antenna. I don't know what the 3.5 audio in would be for except maybe to play a media device into the the GPS and then to BT helmet headset. The GPS support installation instructions I find all show it to be capped or taped. http://instructions.brp.com/content/...ion.html#tab=2

But for sure, the 2.5 mic in connector is for the cellphone interface harness, which requires the CB be installed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Fused power input
    Yes I see the usb port is different than the 660 mount too. The 660/665 is a mini usb B port and on the 590/595 it is a usb A port.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

CELL PHONE INTERFACE FOR GPS PLUGS IN THERE
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come