Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My One complaint of a Spyder

I have had my Spyder for about one year now. It is a 2015 RT SE6. When I first got it I had several things I did not like about it but have corrected or learned to accept most everything. The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes. I know it does not hurt anything but it is annoying. I have learned to shift it without any noise and real smooth. You do have to pay attention when shifting. When I first got it I hated when you turned the key on and had to wait to push the mode button to start. I have got use to that so I know when I walk up to it I just turn the switch on and by the time I am in the seat it is ready to start. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have had my Spyder for about one year now. It is a 2015 RT SE6. When I first got it I had several things I did not like about it but have corrected or learned to accept most everything. The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes. I know it does not hurt anything but it is annoying. I have learned to shift it without any noise and real smooth. You do have to pay attention when shifting. When I first got it I hated when you turned the key on and had to wait to push the mode button to start. I have got use to that so I know when I walk up to it I just turn the switch on and by the time I am in the seat it is ready to start. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way?
    I have a 2018 RT and got used to waiting to press the mode. What I still don't like is the clancking noise (sounds like something is breaking) In first or reverse. My dealer says it's normal and not to worry. There was discussions on this board regarding that. I guess just get use to it and enjoy your ride...
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

I think a lot of use feel that way. That bang is due to the constant mess transmission. All bikes do that.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2005 Goldwing clunked whenever I put it into gear, though not as loud as the Spyder. Just like I used to tell my kids, "You can't have everything!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just one complaint? I've had mine a couple years now, a '12 RT-Limited. Coming from strictly Harleys for close to forty years it was quite an adjustment for me, as I'm sure it is for most Harley riders. Since I'm a DIY person, working on the Spyder can be intimidating at first; from popping the mirrors off to removing the panels to doing ANY work in the engine area. I finally decided to go into full crew chief mode (I used to work on F-4s and F-16s in the USAF) and just dive in. True, it's a regular pain in the donkey to work on, but there's a ton of info on this site that help every step of the way. As far as the operation of it...once I got out of the "Harley only" attitude it's a pretty trick ryde. I like it, and most importantly, the bride likes it. But in agreement with you, initially it was unnerving. And since you have a "newer" one, just be thankful the battery is not under the seat buried in a hell hole
    Ryde safe, and if you're ever in the Nashville area, hit me up. Coffee's on me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes.
    You need to just get over that.

Pretty much ALL motorcycles bang into gear the first time each ride; it is a characteristic of the constant mesh transmissions.
    The Spyders are a bit louder than most.......for some reason.

AFTER the first shift though, mine shifts quieter than most other bikes I've had.

P.S. I know this doesn't sound logical but it works on some other machines: Try rev'ing the engine a bit once or twice before you put it in gear......with the clutch pulled in if you have a manual. Give it a try. I haven't yet.

Spyder Garage

Default I like it

I actually like it when it makes a solid "clunk" when you shift it into first. It's like you're doing something very mechanical and important. I usually follow it up with a grin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iw12surf View Post
    Just one complaint? I've had mine a couple years now, a '12 RT-Limited. Coming from strictly Harleys for close to forty years it was quite an adjustment for me, as I'm sure it is for most Harley riders. Since I'm a DIY person, working on the Spyder can be intimidating at first; from popping the mirrors off to removing the panels to doing ANY work in the engine area. I finally decided to go into full crew chief mode (I used to work on F-4s and F-16s in the USAF) and just dive in. True, it's a regular pain in the donkey to work on, but there's a ton of info on this site that help every step of the way. As far as the operation of it...once I got out of the "Harley only" attitude it's a pretty trick ryde. I like it, and most importantly, the bride likes it. But in agreement with you, initially it was unnerving. And since you have a "newer" one, just be thankful the battery is not under the seat buried in a hell hole
    Ryde safe, and if you're ever in the Nashville area, hit me up. Coffee's on me.
    I am like you. I have been riding motorcycles for 63 years. I have had about every brand there is. It was quite an adjustment for me also. I have always done all my own service work on all my motorcycles. The Spyder is a bit more work than most motorcycles but I have had about every piece of plastic removed several times. Like you said there is a lot of help on this site and I have used it. I did put the magic mirrors on mind and that helps removing them. I really don't mind servicing it. Like I said in my original post I don't like the noise it makes going into gear when staring it. Thanks for the come back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My 2005 Goldwing clunked whenever I put it into gear, though not as loud as the Spyder. Just like I used to tell my kids, "You can't have everything!"
    My Goldwing's did the same but sure was not near as loud.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You need to just get over that.

Pretty much ALL motorcycles bang into gear the first time each ride; it is a characteristic of the constant mesh transmissions.
    The Spyders are a bit louder than most.......for some reason.

AFTER the first shift though, mine shifts quieter than most other bikes I've had.

P.S. I know this doesn't sound logical but it works on some other machines: Try rev'ing the engine a bit once or twice before you put it in gear......with the clutch pulled in if you have a manual. Give it a try. I haven't yet.
    Mind is not a manual but it does seen to help a little if I rev the engine for a little bit in neutral and get the RPM down just a little.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

The wait/mode problem got solved with the 2017's--they tell me.

I am not going to worry about the clunk when they shift into gear. They (as in all motorcycles) do that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You want to hear a "clank"? Ride a Victory! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can't get used to : sell the bike, and drive a Toyota instead!
    All motorcycle transmissions are going to do that. It's the way that it is...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Starting on a 2017

I know there is a trick on the newer Spyders to bypass the wait when starting, could someone reply with that info ??

thanks johnv

Spyder Garage

Default By Pass at startup

Turn on key hold in the mode button and start the bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Mode button

On newer Spyders you can press the mode button almost immediately after turning the key and it will start.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also hate the clunk, but I have found that it seems to be less pronounced if I let the engine warm up a little first. It also helps if the bike is slightly rolling in the direction of which you want to go. In other words, if you are going to reverse, let the bike be rolling back a little. If you are going into first, be rolling forward a little. It tends to make less of a clunk, and sometimes non at all.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Red RT-S View Post
    On newer Spyders you can press the mode button almost immediately after turning the key and it will start.
    Yup!

Spyder Garage

I am able to push the mode button at any time and start the bike meaning it isn't necessary to wait until the screen changes and I have a 16 RTL. I came from an 05 Goldwing and have no complaints to speak of. Just wish I'd would have made the switch sooner. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

NO,
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    I know there is a trick on the newer Spyders to bypass the wait when starting, could someone reply with that info ??

thanks johnv
    Turn key, press mode button then hit start!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I usually disengage the parking brake first... and then hit "Mode"!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I usually disengage the parking brake first... and then hit "Mode"!
    ....but then you also have your foot on the brake pedal! Man this is getting confusing!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    ....but then you also have your foot on the brake pedal! Man this is getting confusing!
    To shift into 1st, but not for reverse!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default You don't really have to wait to press the mode button.

You can press it even if the text is not yet on your screen and it will let you immediately turn on the engine!

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    I have a 2018 RT and got used to waiting to press the mode. What I still don't like is the clancking noise (sounds like something is breaking) In first or reverse. My dealer says it's normal and not to worry. There was discussions on this board regarding that. I guess just get use to it and enjoy your ride...

SPYDERGAL