Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 120W driving lights, Amazon Prime might have limited time

https://smile.amazon.com/AMBOTHER-Dr...864ZNSB7B3SNK0

I am going to give them a try, I paid more than this for 20W, That might be 120W counting both, but seems like they will work

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    https://smile.amazon.com/AMBOTHER-Dr...864ZNSB7B3SNK0

I am going to give them a try, I paid more than this for 20W, That might be 120W counting both, but seems like they will work
    These are off-road driving lights. May look a little clunky on the Spyder...also illegal to use on public roads I believe.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-16-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not paying 120 bucks to use Amazon Prime.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting

How and where are you thinking about mounting them? As my eyes get older, they don't seem to see as well. My RT-S is just not giving me the illumination that I'd like. I would think on the A-arms would be the easiest, but road vibes might be a concern. The bodywork on the RTs don't leave a lot of options. Let us know how well they work and where you mount your on/off switch.

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Default A Arms work

I rode this past weekend with another MNSL Ryder who had mounted similar lights to his upper A Arms. I knew when Patrick was behind me that's for sure.
    I asked him and he was VERY happy with the additional light at night. Didn't mention getting any tickets either.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's nice.

Spyder Garage

I have a similar set mounted on my "A" arms. They have a separate switch to keep them off when I want only my stock high beams on. In addition, they are wired so they can only come on if the stock high beams are on. That way, when I dim the high beams, the auxiliary lights go off also. Makes it much easier for on-coming traffic.

Keep in mind, those things are really illegal for road use. I only use them on the country roads.

Also, I do know I don't really have high beams because of the shutter system. It was just easier to explain the concept that way.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I HOPE that they are 120 watts for the pair because even an additional 10 amps might tax your charging system.
    An additional 20 amps might sap your battery quickly or draw some smoke.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I have a similar set mounted on my "A" arms. They have a separate switch to keep them off when I want only my stock high beams on. In addition, they are wired so they can only come on if the stock high beams are on. That way, when I dim the high beams, the auxiliary lights go off also. Makes it much easier for on-coming traffic.

Keep in mind, those things are really illegal for road use. I only use them on the country roads.

Also, I do know I don't really have high beams because of the shutter system. It was just easier to explain the concept that way.
    GREAT IDEA! That's actually the best explanation for how to have Long Distance extra driving lights wired.
    Did you post your wiring diagram or process when you did that. What fuse/circuit are they triggered from etc. Using an added relay or what?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

As for being illegal, I have similar now, they are on a separate switch, but I use them all of the time, many police have passed me and never an issue. I do have them pointed slightly down, in WA that makes a difference according to my understanding of what I read. I'm thinking that as long as they are not blinding on-coming cars, the cop would rather that you be seen than not and picking you off the pavement down the road.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    As for being illegal, I have similar now, they are on a separate switch, but I use them all of the time, many police have passed me and never an issue. I do have them pointed slightly down, in WA that makes a difference according to my understanding of what I read. I'm thinking that as long as they are not blinding on-coming cars, the cop would rather that you be seen than not and picking you off the pavement down the road.
    If they are on the A-arms pointed slightly downward I don't see how they can throw light far down the road for night driving. You will surely be seen though!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    GREAT IDEA! That's actually the best explanation for how to have Long Distance extra driving lights wired.
    Did you post your wiring diagram or process when you did that. What fuse/circuit are they triggered from etc. Using an added relay or what?
    I'm on the road now and will be gone in a couple of days. I'll post the details then.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

I have very similar ones from Rigid industries. They are awesome they are brighter than my Led head lights and Led fog lights put together.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default evens out

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I am not paying 120 bucks to use Amazon Prime.
    If you use Amazon much, the free shipping pays for the ten bucks a month pretty fast even if you don't use the other features.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    I have very similar ones from Rigid industries. They are awesome they are brighter than my Led head lights and Led fog lights put together.
    So are aircraft landing lights, but they don't belong on public roads ...!!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I HOPE that they are 120 watts for the pair because even an additional 10 amps might tax your charging system.
    An additional 20 amps might sap your battery quickly or draw some smoke.
    He's got a 1200 watt alternator: he'd be okay with them...

… if you discount the fact that they're probably not legal for usage on the street.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    If you use Amazon much, the free shipping pays for the ten bucks a month pretty fast even if you don't use the other features.
    Dont use it that much to justify the extra costs.

And I been realizing some of the product that is sold is refurbished and or junk.

Spyder Garage

Default Wiring

First, my bike is a 2011 RT-S, your wiring may be different. I tapped into the GY-18 wire that operates the headlight shutter to get 12V. This assures you that the auxiliary lights will come on and off with the high/low beam switch. You can get to the GY-18 wire right behind the right headlight housing. That tap now goes to a switch that I put into the blank center position on the dash switch bank. This switch will allow you to keep the auxiliary lights off when you don't want them. The wire coming out of the switch now goes directly to the auxiliary lights. That's all there is to it.

My auxiliary lights will light up the night on my South Carolina and Georgia back roads. They do not draw enough current to warrant a separate relay. I've used them for three years with no problems. Just be prudent when and where you use them.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Grandpot, just the kind of details I needed, I bet the GY-18 is the same on my '13, but if not I think I can find the correct one.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grandpot, just the kind of details I needed, I bet the GY-18 is the same on my '13, but if not I think I can find the correct one.
    This is the way Twisted Throttle recommends wiring their Denali driving lights, and when I have time I'm going to go back and do that. Meanwhile, I've got an on/off switch, PLUS with my lights mounted high and pointed somewhat downward, it's going to be less of an issue when I do happen upon oncoming traffic out on a rural road late at night.

I have a concern with folks who mount driving lights on their A-arms because they are going to have to aim them somewhat up in order to throw light down the road; in that case, tying the lights into the high beam circuit is the only way to go, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, After our recent foray on dirt roads in the NW Angle of MN, and off the Cherohala Skyway to Murphy, NC I am leaning more to the driving lights being inside of front fender mounted like Tric LED does with theirs. We were travelling on some very dark unlit dirt roads that had some tight turns, we were slowing down often due to overdriving the LED head and fog lights that pointed where the nose pointed versus where the wheels were pointing in the really tight sections, though that probably saved our lives.....
    TricLED Driving light fender mount.JPG
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, After our recent foray on dirt roads in the NW Angle of MN, and off the Cherohala Skyway to Murphy, NC I am leaning more to the driving lights being inside of front fender mounted like Tric LED does with theirs. We were travelling on some very dark unlit dirt roads that had some tight turns, we were slowing down often due to overdriving the LED head and fog lights that pointed where the nose pointed versus where the wheels were pointing in the really tight sections, though that probably saved our lives.....
    TricLED Driving light fender mount.JPG
    David, I'm sure you have looked at all the variables and decided what works best for you. I'm concerned about the newbies who may not understand this issue and just think adding an eye-blistering amount of light anywhere on their bike is a good idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    He's got a 1200 watt alternator: he'd be okay with them...

Sounds logical but it depends more on the design of the regulator than it does on the capacity of the alternator.....in most cases.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's up to the task...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black