Spyder Garage

Default Madstad Windshield

About ready to pull the plug on a Madstad shield for my 2017 F3 Limited, anyone with experience with these windshields ??

thanks johnv

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

Yes, ive had them on my victory and my spyder.
    I believe them to be the very best. I drive down to factory in Brooksville Florida to have mine put as its only a 60 mile drive for me.
    I've been extremely happy with the Madstad, plus its fully adjustable.

Spyder Garage

I had one on my 16 F3-L, John. I found that it didn’t give me the coverage up top that the F4 does, and too much coverage around the wrists and hands in summer. The F4 has hand cutouts.

I stress that this is just for my particular circumstances, as I am 6’7” and 330lbs. I also prefer the F4 cleaning in that it can be cleaned with water and a paper towel. This is not running the Madstad down. It’s a great screen, especially with the adjustability. I would gladly use the Madstad if F4 weren’t around.

I have actually taken the Madstad screen off its brackets, and drilled a couple of extra holes in the F4 and attached it to the Madstad adjustable brackets. I am very happy with this setup. Here’s the Madstad overlaid over the F4.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Several good companies out there each with a loyal following. My choice is the one from Gustafsson (www.bikescreen.com). I just lent them my bike so they could fit up new hardware for an F3 screen and then got to do an alpha test. I still haven't returned it. I had their previous one that required the Blue Ridge mounting hardware, guess I should say have because it is sitting in their shop waiting for the return of this one. I like the design because it maintains the factory look with low unobtrusive hardware. I am 5'10' with a 32" inseam and with the 17" that I am using I look over the windscreen and not through. The air flows over my helmet and I can run at highway speeds with my face shield up. The design and mounting allows air to flow under the screen and reduces turbulent air but provides a cooling flow necessary in FL.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Had mine for 2 years and its a mixed review. If you want lots of wind protection then its not for you. I can feel wind all around it. But it protects against the full force wind that comes head on. I like some breeze to remind me I be on a bike and not in a car. For me its good cause I get the best of both worlds no head on wind but enough side wind so I know I be riding.

Spyder Garage

I like mine. I think because PacNW doesn't get overly hot it works well. Ever since I've put it on, I haven't been hit by bug one whereas before I was getting splattered both hands and face.
    I have it tilted at about 45 deg which gives me a little bit of feathering of wind around my face (I wear a 3/4 helmet) which is particularly nice this time of year. Keep in mind, you'll have to experiment with height and tilt to your preference.

Pretty darn happy with it.

I use All-Kleer on it, which I like as it seems to help mitigate later bug splats.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES

I have 2 of them, one on my Spyder and one on my PC800 Honda.
    I would have 3 but I sold the ST1100 with one on it.
    For my money they are the ONLY shield to own because they are high quality
    and adjustable.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    About ready to pull the plug on a Madstad shield for my 2017 F3 Limited, anyone with experience with these windshields ??

thanks johnv

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    For my money they are the ONLY shield to own because they are high quality and adjustable.
    Dave
    Yeah, that adjustability is a HUGE selling point, Dave.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad is great

I have a 22” on my 17 F3L and love it. I am 6’5” tall and the 22” was tallest available this spring. I see they now offer a 24”. Would love to work out a trade of some kind if anyone could use the 22.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

I had one on my BMW F700 and it was high quality and more effective that either stock or another aftermarket shield. BUT the Madstad was incredibly, horribly ugly. The F700 was no peach in the looks department but the Madstad made it far worse. I couldn't bear to look at it and that's part of the reason I sold it and got the Spyder. Maybe -- hopefully -- a Madstad on a Spyder would look better. Just be sure you can deal with the looks.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I had one on my BMW F700 and it was high quality and more effective that either stock or another aftermarket shield. BUT the Madstad was incredibly, horribly ugly. The F700 was no peach in the looks department but the Madstad made it far worse. I couldn't bear to look at it and that's part of the reason I sold it and got the Spyder. Maybe -- hopefully -- a Madstad on a Spyder would look better. Just be sure you can deal with the looks.

That was why I went the the screen fro Gustafsson Plastics on my F3. I had the BRP Blue Ridge which didn't cut it so I replaced it with one of Zach's screens to keep the factory look.They now are making mounts so you don't need the Blue Ridge hardware. I will be in Vegas in October with the Road Warrior Foundation Ride if you want to see it on the Spyder.

CJ JAX