Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Love my Utopia backrest!

Got my new Utopia backrest delivered Saturday morning and I wasted no time getting it installed! The instructions that came with it and the videos on their website were pretty easy to follow without any problems. I had been going over them and familiarizing myself with what had to be done in preparation for the big event.

The hardest part was taking the seat off and putting it back on. Even that was a piece of cake. I've accumulated a very good supply of tools over my lifetime and it really helps to have exactly what you need to do a job successfully.

Due to the weather and a pesky thing called work, I didn't get a chance to try it out other than to sit on it. But today was another story. While we only rode about 70 miles, the difference was very noticeable!

The backache that usually started in at about 30 miles never even started. It never got really bad until about 150 miles, but it was something that made a long ride a little less enjoyable than it should have been.

I still need to find the best adjustment for me but I have it pretty close. I need to have it fairly far forward because of arthritis in my elbows that keeps me from straightening my arms completely. That is what made longer rides a little more taxing than I liked but I do believe that is going to change now!

It doesn't interfere with my wife's seating on our Spyder but she does have to be a little more careful about getting on and off. That is really the only downside to it and I think it is well worth the small inconvenience for her!

Now I think we need to start planning a trip to Yoder's restaurant in Arthur, IL for some of their great food!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

That was the first thing I put on my 2014. Actually, had it ordered a couple weeks before the 14 arrived.

After the hip work, backrest no longer needed. Now have BRP comfort seats on both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think the next project will be the gel pad inserts from Motorcycle Dave. I talked to him last month about them and they sound like just the thing to finish off the seating arrangement!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

BoilerAnimal, Question for you and anyone else having installed one of these on their '13's or older. Is the backrest easily detachable / removable after installation? My riding is 50/50 solo /2-up and my wife just doesn't think she can have the backrest separating us.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Two 7/16" wrenches will take it off in less than 60 seconds. That's one thing I want to change by getting a longer bolt that will give some threads sticking out so I can "kill" them by damaging them which will make it harder for someone to steal.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

I'm just guessing the average thief isn't packing some 7/16's wrenchs. But, could those bolts be converted to allen heads that would be easier to carry in the stock onboard tool kit?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

You could get an allen head bolt and put a star washer between the bracket and the nut. That would probably allow you to tighten or loosen the bolt with just an allen wrench. It would be worth a try.

Yeah, I'm probably a little paranoid about it getting stolen but I have had stuff stolen and it makes me dwell on it a little too much. That's what insurance is for!

2013 RT-S SE 5