Thread: Body Panel?

Spyder Garage

Default Body Panel?

I hit what I thought was a small pot hole and the Left Top Side Panel poped off & went sliding across the roadway into the ditch. Well I retrieved it, dusted it off & put it back on(carefully). It had stayed on for 4 or 5 months without a problem. Well, went for a ride today and low & behold samo samo! Hit the ever present "small pot hole AGAIN,couldn't miss it,too much traffic, and off into the ditch it went AGAIN. I retrieved it AGAIN and tried to put it back on. It seemed very loose and fell off with just a slight amount of pressure. After looking at it CAREFULLY I noticed a small piece seemed to have have broken or worn off. There was a hardware store close by so I did what any man would do! Bought a roll of Gorilla Tape/duct tape and taped it back on and continued my 3/4 of a day ride with no problem! I said the panel was the Top Panel but I'm sure it was the lower panel that you remove to check the oil level. Does anyone on here have one in good shape( I don't know why they'd have one) that they would be willing to sell for a reasonable price? My Spyder is silver but I will get it painted to match the rest of the bike! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WILL YOU! The Spyder sure looks ugly with all that Black Gorilla Tape on it!

Spyder Garage

Tomline, Before you mount the replacement LH Lateral Side Panel, multiple part numbers based on color, you really should determine why the original was coming off at all. When all three posts are fully snapped into their respective rubber grommets, that panel shouldn't ever dislodge while riding, regardless of potholes. I drove well over 20 miles of teeth shattering potholed dirt roads with my '13 going into and out of Angle Inlet. MN at the end of June and didn't loose any Spyder body parts, and it was terrible washboard in some sections.

Those parts new from Cheap Cycle Parts and others are over $175, you might check with any of the folks who've reported a crashed Spyder here on SL or any of the other Spyder forums. Some get their old bikes back from Insurance to part out the surviving parts.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta ask....

Why not silver duct tape... problem with that cover is the rubber grommets get pushed through and the mounting gets loose. Many have added a lanyard in case the panel pops off. Check eBay and Amazon r go on the salvage sites.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Chupaca's suggestion reminded me that someone on this board suggested zip tying all the rubber gromments into their respective frame holes. Having Done this, I haven't lost one yet and now do most of my frequent maintenance (old 998 v-twin oil changes every 4-4.5K) myself.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Tomline... I think you identified the problem

"g at it CAREFULLY I noticed a small piece seemed to have have broken or worn" The key to keeping the side access panels on is to make sure you

HOOK that top edge of the panel first, and then have clean prongs that dont push the rubber grommets out of place. If the hook is over that top edge,

the rubber grommets can absorb the road vibrations and potholes/railroad crossings etc, and not allow the panel to shake loose.

150,000 miles plus on three RTs and havent lost a panel yet...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Body Panel update

It seems like the previous owner lubricated the grommets so the panel would snap in easier! I tried to clean the grommets but don't think I got them clean enough. Can I order and buy just the new grommets? If so from where? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Securing the cover

Here's a link to what I did to keep the cover from falling off. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...1-Secure-Cover
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default grommet assembly

looking at pro-caliber web site , the grommets are around 9.32 dollars apiece

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A picture of the part would be helpful, along with knowing the year of your bike (I assume it's an RT)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    A picture of the part would be helpful, along with knowing the year of your bike (I assume it's an RT)
    Sometimes the plastic prongs break off. Rare, but it does happen. Is that possible? If so, provide a picture of the damaged part and maybe we can suggest a fix.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, he's started another thread and discovered his grommets had been negatively affected by some lubricant causing them (the grommets) to start dissolving. So that's why the panels dislodged in use.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Pete, he's started another thread and discovered his grommets had been negatively affected by some lubricant causing them (the grommets) to start dissolving. So that's why the panels dislodged in use.
    Yes, I just noticed that. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum