Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Hot Right Foot! Muffler/exhaust heat unbearable!

2012 RT-SE5...runs great, no problems...but the heat from the exhaust/muffler is roasting my right foot and ankle! The weather is too hot for boots and levis. How can I decrease or divert the amount of heat coming from the exhaust/muffler? Is there some kind of heat shield I can put in place? In the colder months its no problem because I'm wearing good boots, but in the hot months, the heat is scorching my foot and ankle! I don't want to take the exhaust/muffler unit apart, but maybe there's some kind of "snap on" heat shield available? Has anyone experienced this problem and successfully resolved it? Your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

There was a recall on the 2013 model for that issue.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT ON FOOT

One of the sponsers on the title page makes a block off plate that fits the bottom hole in front of your right foot. Probably also have to take off the shields on the bottom of the engine....the heat has to go somewhere.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

go to spyderpops on the homepage. He has what you need to make it a coolerr ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Search here for Right Foot Heat GONE on my 2013 RTL featured as part of Rob's Mods and Farkles under the My Spyder Mods section posted by robmorg
    the same principles apply, many have applied his fix on earlier models to correct the hot foot issue.
    You can purchase a $27 BRP Part #705004803 Right Side vent intended for 2014 Spyders that is a minor adjustment to fit '13's and earlier.

Which gives you a right side looking like this
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default I'll check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by k7xi View Post
    One of the sponsers on the title page makes a block off plate that fits the bottom hole in front of your right foot. Probably also have to take off the shields on the bottom of the engine....the heat has to go somewhere.
    Sounds like a possible fix...thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up worried about over heating...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    go to spyderpops on the homepage. He has what you need to make it a coolerr ryde...
    I looked at the write up for this product...and my only concern is possible over heating. The heat had to go somewhere, and this wrap seems to negate that. But thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Default Got that...

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Search here for Right Foot Heat GONE on my 2013 RTL featured as part of Rob's Mods and Farkles under the My Spyder Mods section posted by robmorg
    the same principles apply, many have applied his fix on earlier models to correct the hot foot issue.
    You can purchase a $27 BRP Part #705004803 Right Side vent intended for 2014 Spyders that is a minor adjustment to fit '13's and earlier.

Which gives you a right side looking like this
    he heat is coming from under my right foot where the exhaust/muffler is located. I've already got the screen/shield for the engine compartment (as you showed). Thanks for the suggestion!
    T

Spyder Garage

If it's too hot to wear proper clothing, take the car.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    he heat is coming from under my right foot where the exhaust/muffler is located. I've already got the screen/shield for the engine compartment (as you showed). Thanks for the suggestion!
    T
    Isn't that where the catalytic converter is? Been a while since I had my 2010rt. Maybe look into a cat bypass....

Spyder Garage

SolideGranite, Now I understand, you've already blocked the "Dragon's mouth" directing the radiator exhaust directly to our right foot. I had also switched to the cat delete Y pipe and Akrapovic Sport Silencer on my '13 and that really reduced the heat from under the bike wafting up the sides.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2012 RT-SE5...runs great, no problems...but the heat from the exhaust/muffler is roasting my right foot and ankle! The weather is too hot for boots and levis. How can I decrease or divert the amount of heat coming from the exhaust/muffler? Is there some kind of heat shield I can put in place? In the colder months its no problem because I'm wearing good boots, but in the hot months, the heat is scorching my foot and ankle! I don't want to take the exhaust/muffler unit apart, but maybe there's some kind of "snap on" heat shield available? Has anyone experienced this problem and successfully resolved it? Your thoughts?
    Here's what I did on my 2013 RT for that very problem! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=heat+block

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 heat recall kit will work on 2012 RT

When I had my 2011 it was hot hot hot on the right foot and the crotch.
    I had the dealer put on the kit with the air scoops and removal of acoustic material under the side panels that was a recall on the 2013's.
    Big difference. It literally stopped the heat that was pouring out betweet the seat and the glove box and it reduced the right foot heat the liveable.
    BRP would not cover it on my 2011 but it was well worth the cost to me.
    I can't remember the cost but the kit was not that much and I think it was 1 hour labour.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the write up for this product...and my only concern is possible over heating. The heat had to go somewhere, and this wrap seems to negate that. But thanks for the suggestion!
    When you make this modification, you must punch or drill a bunch of holes on the plastic below and behind the exhaust in order to vent the heat. This will send the heat back and down toward the back of the Byke. It works well, but you will still get some heat so the ultimate solution is to do the change and also install foot pegs.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default No mesh grill on Rt

Just got a 2013 and the heat didn't seem to be that much compared to my Victory Vission. No mesh screen on the rite side. Guess I need to do some checking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Just got a 2013 and the heat didn't seem to be that much compared to my Victory Vission. No mesh screen on the rite side. Guess I need to do some checking.
    See Post 5 and others above. 13's and older blow radiator heat back, so we divert it up or down away from the foot with the mods mentioned. 14's and later actually blow the heat forward when at low or no speed.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    No mesh screen on the rite side. Guess I need to do some checking.
    Not there from the factory for 2013 & earlier.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default so was there a fix for 2013 RS-S

Just read through this and i know SpyderPops did a heat shield through the 2012 model's.. but since then, has anyone came up with a fix?

Spyder Garage

I have the same model as you 2012 RTL SE5. The first farkle I bought was the heat block off plate from Spyderpops and so far it has been working great for 3 years. I also removed the shield from the bottom underneath of the bike,but that was more for ease in changing the oil. I drove it for awhile here in the Utah heat before I removed it and it did not overheat.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I did the block off plate and added seal boards (site vendor) really helped alot. no overheating. I also added a 2 brothers muffler and that seemed to help some too

Spyder Garage

I did JT's air cleaner, cat bypass and the 2014 block off... no heat to speak of anymore... almost wish I had it back on some days/nights when riding in the mountains.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    SolideGranite, Now I understand, you've already blocked the "Dragon's mouth" directing the radiator exhaust directly to our right foot. I had also switched to the cat delete Y pipe and Akrapovic Sport Silencer on my '13 and that really reduced the heat from under the bike wafting up the sides.
    That sounds like it would work. I'll have to get under the bike and check out the cat pipe. Everything under there is factory stock, and I don't want to chance failing my state inspection by messing with the cat or the muffler. But I'll certain;y look into it. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have the same model as you 2012 RTL SE5. The first farkle I bought was the heat block off plate from Spyderpops and so far it has been working great for 3 years. I also removed the shield from the bottom underneath of the bike,but that was more for ease in changing the oil. I drove it for awhile here in the Utah heat before I removed it and it did not overheat.
    I went to Spyderpops site, and looked at the heat shield. I'll look again for one that says "heat block off plate". The one I saw looked like an aluminum wrap that attached to the bottom of the exhaust system. Thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's what I did on my 2013 RT for that very problem! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=heat+block
    The heat I'm getting is coming striaght up from the exhaust system, directly below my right foot. I have the black screen thing in the front behind the radiator...no excess heat from there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    If it's too hot to wear proper clothing, take the car.
    Surely you jest! LOL I'm not wearing insulated calf-high waterproof motorcycle boots when the temp is in the mid 90's. I'll find a way to deal with the heat coming from the exhaust system. I don't use the pick up unless I have to haul something. Its almost never TOO hot to ride... :-)