Spyder Garage

Default Belt squeal after new tire installed

We have a 2011 RT SE-5 and just recently had a new rear tire put on. Now the drive belt, at least that's what I think it is, is squealing. It is especially bad when turning. Checking the belt it appears true on the sprocket and it not running left or right, seems to be centered on the sprocket.

Is there anything I should look for or do to stop what seems to be the belt squealing?? Any help would be appreciated!!
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you notice an odor of hot rubber and anytime? Particularly just after you heard the squealing and you've stopped and turned your spyder off? Mine did that just after a rear tire install and a belt adjustment cured it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Do you notice an odor of hot rubber and anytime? Particularly just after you heard the squealing and you've stopped and turned your spyder off? Mine did that just after a rear tire install and a belt adjustment cured it.
    No not at all....Just a squeal! It is much more noticeable when turning left but it also happens when going straight just not as loud

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a good long look under there and see if you can find anything that moves being too close to anything doesn't . Try putting a little, and I mean "A LITTLE" dab of grease on your belt or sprocket and try that to see if the squeal goes away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like it was suggested little grease only.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

The belt is supposed to be just off the rear pulley inside raised lip. If it is tracking in the center of the rear sprocket, the belt may be hitting the outside ridge on the front pulley. Why you would get more squeal when turning is a mystery to me. But having no noise, getting a new rear tire where they have to re-align the belt drive and then getting a squeal would seem to point towards something done during the tire replacement process.

Hope you find it soon. Whatever it is. I'd say it is important to correct. Let us know what you find.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, who did the work, you, a dealer, or someone else? Yes, squeal was a thing and the grease was the official BRP fix. So try that. But I’m also concerned about belt tension after a wheel removal. The early generation RTs had a much lower tension spec than current models, and I don’t trust other guys to go to the manuals and look it up. My dealer always over tensioned my belt until I stopped going. If you don’t have one, BajaRon can fix you up with the Krikit gauge, the correct numbers for that, and how to’s, if you want to check things out for yourself.

The other error likely situation is installing the spacer between the wheel and sprocket backwards. But I have no idea if that would cause a belt or cush drive squeal or not.

And I see Ron has just weighed in.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-15-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    No not at all....Just a squeal! It is much more noticeable when turning left but it also happens when going straight just not as loud
    mine does the exact same thing. squeals in a left turn. I've tried all kinds of belt positions on the rear sprocket. only thing that has stopped it is a bar of soap. kinda like putting lipstick on a pig.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    So, who did the work, you, a dealer, or someone else? Yes, squeal was a thing and the grease was the official BRP fix. So try that. But I’m also concerned about belt tension after a wheel removal. The early generation RTs had a much lower tension spec than current models, and I don’t trust other guys to go to the manuals and look it up. My dealer always over tensioned my belt until I stopped going. If you don’t have one, BajaRon can fix you up with the Krikit gauge, the correct numbers for that, and how to’s, if you want to check things out for yourself.

The other error likely situation is installing the spacer between the wheel and sprocket backwards. But I have no idea if that would cause a belt or cush drive squeal or not.

And I see Ron has just weighed in.
    Thanks... I have ordered a Krikit gauge. I had a dealer in Knoxville, TN install the new tire for me. We had an ever so slight squeal before the new tire but it was NOTHING compared to what it is now...

I'll get with BajaRon and get the specs for my Spyder....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The belt is supposed to be just off the rear pulley inside raised lip. If it is tracking in the center of the rear sprocket, the belt may be hitting the outside ridge on the front pulley. Why you would get more squeal when turning is a mystery to me. But having no noise, getting a new rear tire where they have to re-align the belt drive and then getting a squeal would seem to point towards something done during the tire replacement process.

Hope you find it soon. Whatever it is. I'd say it is important to correct. Let us know what you find.
    BajaRon thanks for the information....Can you get a manual or at least the specs for the 2011 Spyder RT SE-5 for belt tension load?? We had an ever so slight amount of squeal prior to the new tire, but since the new rear tire install it is almost consent and very loud during a left hand turn..