Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to the Spyder Family

Just purchased a F3S (for hubby) and a F3T (for self). I do not have a garage and trying to find best way to store during the winter. A guy at the dealership mentioned a cycle shell which looks cool but doesn't appear large enough to accommodate a spyder. Anyone using one?

Also looking for helmet recommendations; full face or 3/4?

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see...

On the storage.... There are a variety of portable storage units of which I am not familiar with. As you can see from where we live we do not store the spyder. Public storage is also a possiblilty.

On Helmets we prefer the modular helmets. when open are like a 3/4 and closed a full face. We ryde open on side roads in town and mountain roads and full face on freeways.... go to a bike shop and try the different ones and see what suits you best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsugadiva View Post
    Just purchased a F3S (for hubby) and a F3T (for self). I do not have a garage and trying to find best way to store during the winter. A guy at the dealership mentioned a cycle shell which looks cool but doesn't appear large enough to accommodate a spyder. Anyone using one?

Also looking for helmet recommendations; full face or 3/4? Thanks in advance
    BRP makes a custom heavy duty cover.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the beauties

Spyder Garage

Heard of some dealers offering winter storage for a fee & usually a winterized service package others find a storage lot with electricity for battery tenders. & depending on land available some have reported using a bike barn possibly mounted to a pallet for some reason. & held up well under the snow.
    (how much snow? No clue)

http://www.thebikebarn.net/model_trike.html

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

A full face is by far the safest,check the helmet injury percentages on the helmets surface,the front and sides are the largest injury areas.
    I get that halfs and opens give you more freedom but you buy a helmet to protect you.why exspose your face,nose,jaw etc to damage.
    Modular are a good compromise for both if you flip them down in use.accidents are just that...you dont plan them.

Spyder Garage

Default Bike barn

Check out the bike barn - I don’t own one but it should work. http://www.thebikebarn.net/model_trike_images2.html

i personally used a shelter logic shed for almost 3years and it worked well.
    D7021BB6-0844-4A9B-A75C-261167DF0636.jpgB5747CD7-7EEE-4690-90B0-D605ABC79F01.jpg
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    On the storage.... There are a variety of portable storage units of which I am not familiar with. As you can see from where we live we do not store the spyder. Public storage is also a possiblilty.

On Helmets we prefer the modular helmets. when open are like a 3/4 and closed a full face. We ryde open on side roads in town and mountain roads and full face on freeways.... go to a bike shop and try the different ones and see what suits you best...
    Thanks for taking time to respond.

Spyder Garage

Another vote for modular helmets. Wife wears glasses an can put on modular helmet with her glasses still on. She couldn't do that with her full face helmet. An yes if you can go to a cycle shop an try on different brands as brands have different shape inside for different shaped heads. A good knowledgeable staff person will get you in a good fitting helmet.

Spyder Garage

I too like the modular. I also like my face so that had a lot to do with my choice. Riding with my brother who has full face not modular he has to take the helmet off to do anything while I just flip the modular up to take a drink, talk, or go into the store for a quick grocery run.

Just my preference.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I too like the modular. I also like my face so that had a lot to do with my choice. Riding with my brother who has full face not modular he has to take the helmet off to do anything while I just flip the modular up to take a drink, talk, or go into the store for a quick grocery run.

Just my preference.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder bunch....
    I am now in envy wow 2 new Spyders
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Also looking for helmet recommendations; full face or 3/4?

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Default conex

If you have the space, check out used conex containers. I just took a quick look online and found the prices for a 20 footer run from about $1,200.00 to $4,000 depending on condition. I would think they would be a good choice, water and weatherproof and strong with theft resistant latches. If you don't have the room a public storage facility might be the best option.

Spyder Garage

to the site and on your new acquisitions.

Advice about "winter storage" is good so far.

Helmets are a much discussed subject. You will get different answers from most everyone.

Recommended for safe driving. ATGATT--all the gear, all the time.

Full face vs. 3/4 or modular is up to you. I don't like the confinement of the full face. Have been using modular's for almost 15 years. Not as safe as full face--but nevertheless, my choice.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect storage option and that just right helmet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If remote storing the Spyder and there is no outlet nearby, remember to take the battery out and keep it at home on a battery tender.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender???

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    If remote storing the Spyder and there is no outlet nearby, remember to take the battery out and keep it at home on a battery tender.
    Not sure about this but thanks for mentioning. I will search the forum, I am sure someone has already addressed what this is, why to do it and when.

Spyder Garage

Don't know about storage, but I really like my modular helmet. I had a full face helmet for many years, and the modular is so much nicer to wear. It's easier to get on, and I love being able to flip it open at stoplights, etc.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another vote for a modular helmet. I wear a modular by HJC, while my wife wears a 3/4 HJC. She felt too claustrophobic with a modular. Just make sure that whatever you get, that it fits properly. And wear it. Always!

Almost forgot.........congratulations on the Spyders!!!!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome!

+1 on the modular helmet, though on days like we've had recently, I do like my half for local and back roads.
    Revzilla in Philadelphia is a great place to check out gear,but any local, larger shop is a good place to start.

I have in years past used a self storage facility for my 2 wheeler.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default congrats

I built a bike barn with wooden platform for a local guy here in north nj. its the way to go.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a modular, but for the summer, I usually wear a 3/4 helmet. As for storage, if you have the room, I would suggest looking into an enclosed trailer. That will allow for great dry storage, and the possibility of hauling if needed. Also, the resale will be pretty good if you should decide that you don't need it after a few years.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Not sure about this but thanks for mentioning. I will search the forum, I am sure someone has already addressed what this is, why to do it and when.
    Definately threads out there and not a whole lot of agreement on whether or not you should use one and pluses and minuses. I’m a new owner like you, bought my bike used, and use one somewhat randomly at the recommendation of the prior owner. You can get one on Amazon for less than $30.00.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

+1 Battery Tender Jr. is my preference. Used whenever my spyder sits in the garage too long without riding, and each storage season.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

The type of helmet is a very personal item, and different people have different needs. I prefer the 1/2 helmet. I've used them for the past 20 years, and yes, I have had a couple of upsets while using them, but that has not deterred me. Sena make a very nice half helmet, with built in bluetooth sound capabilities...the Cavalry Helmet. Motorcycle Dave can tell you more about them. He is both a member and a sponsor on this site.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Default welcome

Needed a outside storage shed for the spyder. As space used was a concern I went with a bike barn. Small enough to move around
    easily, I put plywood down as a floor over concrete. I thought It was pricy but after using I like that the spyder fits and its very easy to open and close. I used the dehumiditor they sell and a battery tender by running an extension cord under the opening. This is on
    Vancouver Island BC where we get lots of rain. I also put a BRP half cover over the bike to keep it a little cleaner from dust. The bike barn is not completely air tight like a woodwn or metal shed. But again its made to utilize just enough outdoor space for the bike to fit nicely. Check your options this may not be what you need. As for helmets try lots of them on see what you like. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes