Thread: F3T or F3L

Spyder Garage

Default F3T or F3L

I have a 2017 RTS and I am going to trade for a F3 model. I am between F3T or F3L. What is the difference? Do you think is worth the price of F3L?

Spyder Garage

I did a google search for you, since I couldn't remember myself and laughed when I saw myself being redirected back to this site. here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...th-the-premium

I have the F3L, love it. But then, I wanted the space, heated grips and floorboards to start with so it was a no-brainer for me.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I did a google search for you, since I couldn't remember myself and laughed when I saw myself being redirected back to this site. here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...th-the-premium

I have the F3L, love it. But then, I wanted the space, heated grips and floorboards to start with so it was a no-brainer for me.

Thank you....

Spyder Garage

We chose, and very happily ryde, a 2017 F3L. There was a substantial price differential between the two when we bought - much more for the L. Define your needs; then address your wants. If you plan to do any great amount of 2-up ryding and/or any possibility of touring, I think it's worth considering the extra cost of the factory-issue L. As Kiry says - "space, heated grips, floorboards" - made their decision a "no brainer". To that, I'd add: automatically adjusted rear suspension, plus the simple fact that you've got a 'ready-made' package and you're all set to head out. Everything fits; it's well designed and integrated. That rear top case will pay dividends by itself. Yes, you can take the more basic T and farkle it with add-ons like top case, floorboards, etc., all of which add to cost. If you have special aftermarket pieces you really like better, I suppose you can morph your T into an L, eventually. To my eyes, though, there's something to be said for the feel and flow of the L, as created/assembled by the BRP engineers/designers. The more I tinker and play with things, the more I contemplate how I might change something, the more impressed I am with what BRP decided upon - except maybe for their stock seat and brake pedal height. But even after you pay the extra for the L (or your upgraded T, if you DIY), you're still likely to want to add some farkles, make some changes, so expenditures don't necessarily end with the basic "L or T" decision. In the end, either choice will provide lots of fun. So, it's your decision, your wallet. Good luck. Safe and happy ryding!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 07-15-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It all comes down to what you use your spyder for. I went from a 2014 RT to a 2016 F3T. I didn't need the additional storage of the trunk, as I only take 1-2 long trips a year. I also added the heated grips and made my own floor boards. The thing I like best about the F3T over the Limited is the larger rear sprocket, which gives it better acceleration. That was reason enough for me to stick with the T over the Limited. I think the Limited in 2016 had the larger sprocket, but I got a smoking deal on the T, so I am happy. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which one do you REALLY like more?

You're the only one who can answer that question, and it IS your money.

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    We chose, and very happily ryde, a 2017 F3L. There was a substantial price differential between the two when we bought - much more for the L. Define your needs; then address your wants. If you plan to do any great amount of 2-up ryding and/or any possibility of touring, I think it's worth considering the extra cost of the factory-issue L. As Kiry says - "space, heated grips, floorboards" - made their decision a "no brainer". To that, I'd add: automatically adjusted rear suspension, plus the simple fact that you've got a 'ready-made' package and you're all set to head out. Everything fits; it's well designed and integrated. That rear top case will pay dividends by itself. Yes, you can take the more basic T and farkle it with add-ons like top case, floorboards, etc., all of which add to cost. If you have special aftermarket pieces you really like better, I suppose you can morph your T into an L, eventually. To my eyes, though, there's something to be said for the feel and flow of the L, as created/assembled by the BRP engineers/designers. The more I tinker and play with things, the more I contemplate how I might change something, the more impressed I am with what BRP decided upon - except maybe for their stock seat and brake pedal height. But even after you pay the extra for the L (or your upgraded T, if you DIY), you're still likely to want to add some farkles, make some changes, so expenditures don't necessarily end with the basic "L or T" decision. In the end, either choice will provide lots of fun. So, it's your decision, your wallet. Good luck. Safe and happy ryding!!!

Love your reply... Thanks

Spyder Garage

For me/us, we got the T vs. the L because we did not want the topbox. Why? Because there is more room for umm, my well endowed wife with the BRP adjustable passenger backrest vs. the built-in backrest on the topbox.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

I did the T, wasn't sure I needed the extra space. I figured if after I got I wanted more space then I could always add the top trunk. Haven't looked back. Don't need the space.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well I will always go back to the difference in the rear sprocket. The F3T has a much larger sprocket than the F3L (post 2016). This really makes a difference in the performance. You will find that the newer F3Ls are much more sluggish than the F3T, and as far as I can tell the only difference is the small RT sprocket that they put on the F3 L. When ryding them both while conducting "Test Rydes" for BRP I could always take corners harder with the larger sprocket. With the newer F3L, the nanny really steps in and spoils a lot of the fun. Perhaps a Ron Bar would make a difference here, but if performance is important to you.....go with the T!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

F3-T more for one up riding

F3-L more for two up riding with heavier rear shock

Among many obvious reasons, Rear Box, Floorboards, Heated Grips, Auto Height Adjust, Etc, Etc

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I have the F3L

and love it. I had the same decision to make and I was convinced by the argument that on resale or trade you are better off with a stock bike than a bike with farkles and aftermarket parts. If you think you can live with the T as is without making it an L in the future than keep your money. But if you think you will miss the top case, the floorboards, the air suspension, etc, don’t waste your time and take the L.

Good luck
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    F3-T more for one up riding

F3-L more for two up riding with heavier rear shock

Among many obvious reasons, Rear Box, Floorboards, Heated Grips, Auto Height Adjust, Etc, Etc

Cruzr Joe

To the red - This info is not correct. The F3T & F3L have the same rear shock and rear spring package - Check the parts diagram.
    They both also have an air bag. Manual air fill for the T & onboard compressor fill for the L.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    To the red - This info is not correct. The F3T & F3L have the same rear shock and rear spring package - Check the parts diagram.
    They both also have an air bag. Manual air fill for the T & onboard compressor fill for the L.
    I believe that Joe is basing this on the standard features of the L lend it the Two up ryding situation better than the T. However even with Skinny me and skinny wife, I find it pretty crowded on the F3L with two up!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    I have a 2017 RTS and I am going to trade for a F3 model. I am between F3T or F3L. What is the difference? Do you think is worth the price of F3L?
    Floridian…
    For me, the T was a no brainer. I prefer a rack over a trunk. A lot more options for carrying things. I prefer heated gloves over heated grips. I prefer aftermarket running boards over the L model ones. I REALLY prefer the T front wheels over the L ones. Still a tossup on the shock air compressor. I think I would like it, but it is just one more thing to go wrong, and several on SL have said it does.
    I added the F3 Ultimate running boards, both BRP back rest, so almost $1200 there. I am working on a design for a custom rack – we have a metal fab shop and mill where I work.
    Happy that we have choices!
    Regards,
    Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wifes F3T set up just for her

Her 16 F3T came with heated grips as part of the deal. We added Lamonsters RIP boards, foglights and the SmoothSpyder backrest. As Bob said, your money, your choice
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss