Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reproducible?

BEFORE you start messing with stuff, is this condition reproducible? Go find a clean road or level parking lot without obstructions and see if you can make it happen again. If it's a one time thing it might be that particular corner.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    BEFORE you start messing with stuff, is this condition reproducible? Go find a clean road or level parking lot without obstructions and see if you can make it happen again. If it's a one time thing it might be that particular corner.
    You cant go fast enough in a parking lot to reproduce it but depending on how hot I go into a curve I can reproduce it on most curves.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akbash View Post
    Adjust your rebound on your front shocks you have them set too hard this is why you side jump when hitting those bumps you described. I had my fox shocks set too hard also and had the same problem softened them up with 3 clicks now the front end stays down and straight over those uneven bumpy roads. Check your rear shock also for adjustments.
    I have been going stiffer on my springs only to eliminate bottoming out but like you say I dont want to go too stiff on the springs. When I got the Elkas at Spyderfest, Pitbull was doing the install on all of them. I told them I am heavy and did not want any bottoming out. They adjusted the spring all the way up as far as it would go. I had to go back to get the tool to adjust it my self. I went too low and since have been going back up looking for that balance. Im pretty close but still bottom out from time to time. Glad I have a bump skid to protect my Spyder.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am thinking you may want to adjust your cornering technique. Setting up for the corner is imperative for nanny to stay in her place. Do all your slowing and braking BEFORE the curve, gearing down if necessary so you have power in reserve. Enter the curve with a smooth wrist and gradually twist the grip thus powering through the curve, exiting under power, just as yo would on a single track vehicle. While doing all this, be sure to transfer your weight to the outside peg, and your body weight to the forward inside of rhe spyder. (much like riding a snowmobile aggressively)

I have said it before, and I repeat it here:
    Using the proper cornering technique, it is possible to float the inside wheel with absolutely NO INTERRUPTION from nanny.

2011 RSS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I have been going stiffer on my springs only to eliminate bottoming out but like you say I dont want to go too stiff on the springs. When I got the Elkas at Spyderfest, Pitbull was doing the install on all of them. I told them I am heavy and did not want any bottoming out. They adjusted the spring all the way up as far as it would go. I had to go back to get the tool to adjust it my self. I went too low and since have been going back up looking for that balance. Im pretty close but still bottom out from time to time. Glad I have a bump skid to protect my Spyder.
    When I said adjust rebound I meant for you to adjust your rebound with the rebound adjust dial your shocks have on them at the bottom of shock. Read your directions with shocks which way is stiffer or softer. With the fox shocks it tells you to turn dial all the way clock wise tell it stops then turn counter to soften rebound. They give you a number for your weight to rough adjust them too. I had mine 6 clicks from full stop found my front end was bouncing too much over bumps turned them another 3 clicks softer works very nice now. 9 clicks was the recommended start position fox recommends for my weight and it works nice. I also adjusted my rear shocks which have even more adjustments than the front have.
    2017 F3S Daytona 500 SM6

Low Brow fenders
    Bobber kit
    Fox Podium 1.5 Front shocks
    Fox podium 2.0 Rear Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At SpyderFest 2013: I got so that I could "bicycle" my RT any time that I wanted to...
    And subsequently: have Nanny shut me down.
    Noe of it ever involved being smooth behind the bars...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    At SpyderFest 2013: I got so that I could "bicycle" my RT any time that I wanted to...
    And subsequently: have Nanny shut me down.
    Noe of it ever involved being smooth behind the bars...
    What do you mean by bicycle?
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Picking a front tire off of the pavement: on two wheels!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Perhaps the RSS nanny expects and tolerates a bit more aggression in the right wrist?

That being said, entering a curve off throttle and a bit hot will get nanny roiled up like right now. Not dangerous, but a bit un-nerving.

Spyder Garage

Are the Nanny interruptions after long straight-aways or even in multiple tight curves or both, just askin. I followed two F3's driven by very experienced fast drivers usually 20 or more mph over posted yellow curve speed signs and only felt one down hill S curve tire roll and never felt the the Nanny kick in.
    Here's a pic of the section we were on,
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    From Day one when I drove the new F3 home I turned off on a road I like to run and the first curve, it kicked in and I went WTF was that!
    Now with mine, it was just fine UNTIL...... I had the first service done and they did some "update" on it and now mine is like yours. Ripping along just fine but if the bars are turned a certain amount while cornering, REGARDLESS of speed, the Nanny f*cks everything up! It will do it at 35, it will do it at 55. Doesn't matter the speed, but if I turn the bars more than it "thinks" I should, BAM! The party is over... I asked them to take the update out and got the standard answer, which I'm sure everyone hear has been given at one point or another....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

we also had a harrowing Spencerian where we were going around a tight(ish) corner, two up, and the nanny kicked in and sent into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily for us, there was no one in the lane at the time, but I was at least 3' into that lane before I could get control again.

Now this has only happened once (thankfully) every other time I have had the nanny "help" me out, it has been fine, just slowing the bike down.

I also have shock stiffeners and Ron's sway bar. Though i do not think I had the stiffeners on at the time when this happened.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I gotta agree with the 'if you are ryding with conventional trikes' and the 'something else is going on' bits, but I'd suggest 'substantially incorrect' tire pressure is probably a better way of putting it rather than just singling out 'low' as a likely culprit!!

Tire pressure that's substantially too low OR too high could be contributing to inducing abnormal Nanny interventions, but from my experience & the testimony of others, you can go pretty low in tire pressure with most 'non-Kenda' 50 to 70 profile tires on your Spyder and most won't usually experience any adverse input or reaction from the Nanny!! Some have even run pressures as low as 8psi on 'real' tires without any abnormal Nanny reactions, & from what I've heard about those others doing this, you really couldn't call their riding style anything less than 'spirited'!! Personally, I generally run 14-18psi all round in my 'slightly larger than OE Spec Car tires' on my Spyder without any adverse or even regular input from the Nanny, & I don't think too many would classify my riding style as anything much less than 'spirited' either - in fact, some have been known to use somewhat more colourful terms!! But the only time the Nanny intervenes is when something is really very close to 'the limit' & for me, not once has that intervention been anything less than safely manageable & clearly beneficial/helpful!! Never has it thrown the Spyder sideways EXCEPT when that was what my control input called for, and even then, every time it has been absolutely controllable & clearly life-saving!! I'd hafta say that in my experience, the Nanny really works well at doing what it was designed to do!

There again, if you are still running OE Spec Kendas, there's a good chance that that's probably contributing to your issues & all bets are off!! Sure, if you happen to be lucky enough to get a good set of Kendas, they can be sorta good.... but if, like many of us, you got even just one 'bad' Kenda, let alone three of the blighters (something which is seemingly something very easy to do!!) then they can be very VERY bad in terms of their impact on your ride & handling!!

So AY4B, after you consider all the above & how it applies to you/your Spyder & then adjusting as necessary, if your Spyder still has a Nanny that's misbehaving as badly as in the manner you describe, I'd hafta say it sounds like there is something else odd going on....
    You left out what Brand of tires & Level of the brand. Help a new guy

Spyder Garage

I know this is only 0.0x% of Spyders, but are we seeing a trend that this is occurring on newer bikes that have received recent BRP updates?
    Though I know I was chasing a 2016 F3 driven by Les, and the other Les was out in the lead with his likely 2018 F3 and I'm sure I would've noticed or heard from them if their Nanny kicked in at all. And we were screaming through the corners.
    I know AY4B said the Nanny couldn't be forced to kick in in a parking lot, but would a less traveled, quiet, back road straight away with a coned "S" curve be set up down the centerline, and navigating it at set speeds (do you have Cruise on your F3?) to determine at what speed the Nanny is kicking in? Then another willing rider could try to replicate it and see if theirs does that at the same speeds.

I'm not suggesting ANYONE exceed their driving ability to test this, but many of us who are fast (spirited) riders already (kinda) know our limits. I'm sure Hypurone (I LOVE that Username) and Ay4B know theirs. Something like an advanced Required Rider Skills that's in the back of our Owners Manuals (We've all read and tried those skills, right?)
    Last edited by DGoebel; 07-15-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wait... ELKAS?

You (OP) mentioned you have Elkas. If they are the Elka Stage 2 shocks, there should be a red knob for rebound adjustment, in addition to preload via the spring collar. You said they cranked up the springs to prevent bottoming out. That stiffens up the shock, but could also make it more bouncy unless you pay attention to rebound.

Compression is how quickly the shock absorbs bumps, how fast it "squishes". Rebound is how quickly it lets the spring extend back to its original length, how fast it bounces back. If it feels like it's hopping or skipping across the road, sounds like too much rebound.
    Last edited by asp125; 07-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was having an issue on my 2012 RS where the nanny would kick in on turns that I felt where no where near the limit of the machine. I have Fox shocks and the Ron bar up front along with a laser alignment. The bike handles great but I'd find myself in a turn and for what I would say was no reason the nanny would kick in and the VSS light would come on. Dealer found nothing wrong but BRP suggested they replace the angle position center. That must have been it cause it hasn't happened again in 15000 miles. Not saying that is your issue but it could be?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just another case of that itty-bitty RT rear sprocket on the F3L. The F3T will handle much better with the larger rear sprocket!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I can't believe I just read "8 psi" in a tire. If I had that low of a pressure, I'd be on the rim.

Now, I have an RT, but I run 26psi up front and 28-30 in the back. Fox shocks upgrade and RonJon sway bar. Yokohamas all around. I ride really hard at times. No nanny.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I can't believe I just read "8 psi" in a tire. If I had that low of a pressure, I'd be on the rim.

Now, I have an RT, but I run 26psi up front and 28-30 in the back. Fox shocks upgrade and RonJon sway bar. Yokohamas all around. I ride really hard at times. No nanny.
    RonJon Sway Bar, I love it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EXTREMELY LOW TIRE PRESSURE

I can't believe I just read "8 psi" in a tire. If I had that low of a pressure, I'd be on the rim...............

, If it's a car tire it would have to be a bit lower than 8 psi for the rim to touch the ground..... I know this to be a FACT because I had my rear Hydro-Edge at 8 psi ( accidently ) ... and the rim wasn't touching the ground......... " and the truth shall set you free " .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Last I looked. Ron Jon wasn't doing sway bars. I hope he never does!

I promise not to make any surf boards! But I do like his motto...

17060098051D-maroon-ron_jon_vintage_woody_tee_cocoa_beach_back.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

LOL...
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    , If it's a car tire it would have to be a bit lower than 8 psi for the rim to touch the ground..... I know this to be a FACT because I had my rear Hydro-Edge at 8 psi ( accidently ) ... and the rim wasn't touching the ground......... " and the truth shall set you free " .......... Mike
    I was exaggerating.

Have fun drag racing in your soft shoes.

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOFT SHOES

I was exaggerating.

Have fun drag racing in your soft shoes.
    I will, I do , and I win .......... emoji mania -

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the parking lot is big enough, and empty, you can make Nanny kick in. I do it often at an intersection traffic light. If I'm first in line and stopped at the light and really gun it when I take off while making a sharp turn I feel Nanny holding me back. Once I straighten out Nanny lets go. I think the only other times, which have been several, that Nanny has kicked in I went around a curve fast enough to make a front tire squawk.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)