Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How many here are constantly hitting the Nanny Speed limit on curves

It is crazy how something intended to keep you safe will throw you sideways in a curve with oncoming traffic.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Or do I need to avoid going on spirited rides with regular trikes?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Something else is going on. The nanny should not be throwing you sideways and if you are riding with conventional trikes, you are NOWHERE near the Spyder's cornering limits.

This sounds more like either low tire pressure or bump steer.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Have it pretty regular on mine. Most of the time it kinda reminds me, but one time I was trying to get out of the way when nanny kicked in and kinda put me in a tight spot.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Something else is going on. The nanny should not be throwing you sideways and if you are riding with conventional trikes, you are NOWHERE near the Spyder's cornering limits.

Tire pressure was cold 20 PSI in front and 22 in rear. add more after it warms up. What do you mean by bump steer?
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Rarely. And I ride pretty hard...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If it is something wrong with my Spyder, How can I tell for sure and can you adjust or fix it at your shop? I will probably be going to Houston next week.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Rarely. And I ride pretty hard...
    It rides like its on rails with your sway bar and elka shocks up until the nanny kicks in and then I struggle to keep it in line or just ride threw it to accout for the bad handling.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I gotta agree with the 'if you are ryding with conventional trikes' and the 'something else is going on' bits, but I'd suggest 'substantially incorrect' tire pressure is probably a better way of putting it rather than just singling out 'low' as a likely culprit!!

Tire pressure that's substantially too low OR too high could be contributing to inducing abnormal Nanny interventions, but from my experience & the testimony of others, you can go pretty low in tire pressure with most 'non-Kenda' 50 to 70 profile tires on your Spyder and most won't usually experience any adverse input or reaction from the Nanny!! Some have even run pressures as low as 8psi on 'real' tires without any abnormal Nanny reactions, & from what I've heard about those others doing this, you really couldn't call their riding style anything less than 'spirited'!! Personally, I generally run 14-18psi all round in my 'slightly larger than OE Spec Car tires' on my Spyder without any adverse or even regular input from the Nanny, & I don't think too many would classify my riding style as anything much less than 'spirited' either - in fact, some have been known to use somewhat more colourful terms!! But the only time the Nanny intervenes is when something is really very close to 'the limit' & for me, not once has that intervention been anything less than safely manageable & clearly beneficial/helpful!! Never has it thrown the Spyder sideways EXCEPT when that was what my control input called for, and even then, every time it has been absolutely controllable & clearly life-saving!! I'd hafta say that in my experience, the Nanny really works well at doing what it was designed to do!

There again, if you are still running OE Spec Kendas, there's a good chance that that's probably contributing to your issues & all bets are off!! Sure, if you happen to be lucky enough to get a good set of Kendas, they can be sorta good.... but if, like many of us, you got even just one 'bad' Kenda, let alone three of the blighters (something which is seemingly something very easy to do!!) then they can be very VERY bad in terms of their impact on your ride & handling!!

So AY4B, after you consider all the above & how it applies to you/your Spyder & then adjusting as necessary, if your Spyder still has a Nanny that's misbehaving as badly as in the manner you describe, I'd hafta say it sounds like there is something else odd going on....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you ride s m o o t h l y : Nanny will rarely put her hand on your shoulder...
    And she'll never put you sideways!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have never experienced "nanny" on curves. And I can do +20 over posted speeds.

Nanny did kick in a couple times and saved me on hydroplaning.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

SLOW DOWN maybe so the F3 RYDES that much different than your ST? Or maybe not all adjusted yet??

Hard for Texans to do I understand & I'm sorry but what's the rush

Last edited by Bfromla; 07-14-2018 at 07:31 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I have run at 15 psi early on which is what is on the owners manual and more recently have bumped it up to 20 to see if it helps because some here have said that BRP had recommended it in a bulletin. Like Peter said it could just be crappy Kenda tires.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Nanny always hits the brakes or slows the engine, saving my sorry butt!
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

From Day one when I drove the new F3 home I turned off on a road I like to run and the first curve, it kicked in and I went WTF was that! Its like when you are in a curve and it feels like it starts side hopping and that is what kicks in the nanny. Its never gone sideways. It just feels like it moves to the side some and is unexpected. My ryding stile I lean into every curve more than most do as well.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

As a new Spyder owner, I rode several thousand miles trying to adjust and improve my riding skills. I found my Spyder was scary dangerous in corners at or above 65 MPH. Only after replacing the Kendas did I experience riding like I expected. I was one of the unlucky ones to have a bad set of tires. I don't know which one or if all were bad. Doesn't matter. I now can ride the Spyder close to the limits that I ride my Goldwing. And, I can regularly drag the hard parts in corners on the wing.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I have run at 15 psi early on which is what is on the owners manual and more recently have bumped it up to 20 to see if it helps because some here have said that BRP had recommended it in a bulletin. Like Peter said it could just be crappy Kenda tires.
    I am not sure anyone could really give you solid advise without riding your Spyder. It could be a number of things working together, a single issue, or even riding style. But if you can't keep up with a conventional trike. Something is definitely not working in your favor.

Are you breaking a tire loose before the Nanny engages? Or does she come in with no obvious reason?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am not sure anyone could really give you solid advise without riding your Spyder. It could be a number of things working together, a single issue, or even riding style. But if you can't keep up with a conventional trike. Something is definitely not working in your favor.

Are you breaking a tire loose before the Nanny engages? Or does she come in with no obvious reason?
    I can keep up with them but am at probably my limit. I do feel like the tires are breaking loose and that is why I am leaning to the theory that Its the tires.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I sometimes strap a carrier across the passenger seat via the passenger grab handles on my F3 ... (to carry my dog and other items) this pushes down on the passenger censer on the rear seat...
    This makes nanny VERY insensitive in curves ..(cutting the power and applying the breaks)...the first time it happened it was a pukka moment
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Spyder Garage

Default Occasionally...

Only on hairpin corners and only slows us down never interferes with the direction we are traveling in. I ryde an RS - 17 front 27 rear sm5
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I can keep up with them but am at probably my limit. I do feel like the tires are breaking loose and that is why I am leaning to the theory that Its the tires.
    Reading through your earlier posts in this thread with the sideways comments etc I was thinking its the tires loosing grip. Of course once that happens nanny kicks in but its not the cause.

When I took a F3 out on a test ride with stock tires I did find it easy to overwelm the tires when in the twisties.

Is it a swaying sideways movement or a jarring one? With my RS whe rear tire went then it would be a softer feel, when the front has gone its very jarring feeling as it gains grip again.

What setting is your front suspension on?

Spyder Garage

Need to check the pillion switch to make sure the nanny does not think there is a passenger all the time.

Then I would suspect the tires given you already have a sway bar.

We have run into this a few times on RT models with heavier owners and installing spring adjusters or Elka front shocks has cured it but you say you have Elkas up front.

I really think you have a tire problem. Has your bike been laser aligned?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Reading through your earlier posts in this thread with the sideways comments etc I was thinking its the tires loosing grip. Of course once that happens nanny kicks in but its not the cause.

When I took a F3 out on a test ride with stock tires I did find it easy to overwelm the tires when in the twisties.

Is it a swaying sideways movement or a jarring one? With my RS whe rear tire went then it would be a softer feel, when the front has gone its very jarring feeling as it gains grip again.

What setting is your front suspension on?
    I have a Yokohama S drive on the rear and am still on the stock tires in the front. Baja Ron Sway Bar with lamonster Heim links and Elka Stage 2 front shocks. The bike has also been lazer aligned and has a belt tentioner from RR.
    The trike riders in our group are excellent riders unlike many trike riders that I have ridden with. They have my respect as good leaders. Some of the roads around here can have bumps enough to cause side hopping when doing them 20+ MPH above the yellow suggested speed for that curve.
    I also use a very accurate digital air chuck that sets the air pressure to the tenth of a pound but will continue to try to find the best pressure. Im thinking ill drop it down to 17 the next time. New tires may be the next thing to try whenever the funds allow it.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Need to check the pillion switch to make sure the nanny does not think there is a passenger all the time.

Then I would suspect the tires given you already have a sway bar.

We have run into this a few times on RT models with heavier owners and installing spring adjusters or Elka front shocks has cured it but you say you have Elkas up front.

I really think you have a tire problem. Has your bike been laser aligned?
    I have a ultimate seat that has a continuous pan unlike the stock seat that is divided up in the middle. You may have something because I am a heavy ryder. How do I disable that pillion switch? I never have a rider back there anyway. I remember on my ST I disconnected it and it caused an error on the computer.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Adjust your rebound on your front shocks you have them set too hard this is why you side jump when hitting those bumps you described. I had my fox shocks set too hard also and had the same problem softened them up with 3 clicks now the front end stays down and straight over those uneven bumpy roads. Check your rear shock also for adjustments.
    2017 F3S Daytona 500 SM6

Low Brow fenders
    Bobber kit
    Fox Podium 1.5 Front shocks
    Fox podium 2.0 Rear Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway bar